Saving too much?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
akratic

Post by akratic »

This forum strikes me as a place unlikely to provide a non-rational perspective.
One out I provide myself when I find myself excessively worried about a one-time purchase is the option of accumulating enough side-income to pay for it outright... and not record it on the score sheet (budget) -- neither the expense nor the income.
I don't personally consider this cheating, because I expect to operate similarly after FI: take occasional odd jobs to offset infrequent unanticipated expenses.
I started doing this when I found myself spending more time deliberating over the purchase of a want (not a need) than it would have taken to make the extra money to purchase it outright. Perhaps your Whistler trip is similar.
Our fleeting existence simultaneously compells me to want financial independence as soon as possible... as well as not wanting to miss out on important trips with important people. Balancing these two can be hard, and the above is my approach.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@akratic

Oh, I agree this forum isn't necessarily loaded with emotional people, but they are also the most likely to have similar struggles with the emotional side of decision making given their similar overly rational nature.
Thanks for the input.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Also consider the present/future/past valuation. For example, I care little for the past. Consequently, I won't spend much on something that will turn into a memory, because I am not going to reminisce about it anyway. In short, the past is gone, the present is a fleeting moment, but the future is a looooooong time.
What hasn't been discussed is whether this is a ones-hot deal or not? If I was really into skiing, rather than paying for a vacation, I would look into seasonal work at the resort either as a bartender/waiter (w/free room and board) or even better as an instructor.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Go on the trip. At worst, you'll be a few months behind schedule on ERE and feel bad for spending when you get home. At best, you'll have a great time and good memories.
Look for ways to cut costs on the trip - couch-surf instead of staying at a ski resort, go on skiing forums to find deals on gear/lift tickets, plan your visit to a less expensive/off peak time during the season.