Slomo, A Neurologist who gave it all up to skate

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

Slomo, A Neurologist who gave it all up to skate

Post by Ego »

A local legend....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/opinion/slomo.html

"The people who love Slomo are cheering for one person who got away - who escaped."

Ego

Re: Slomo, A Neurologist who gave it all up to skate

Post by Ego »

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... n-the-zone

This might help those who have never experienced 'the zone' understand what it is like for those of us who find it regularly.

Slomo and the Neuroscience of Being in "The Zone"

John describes an expansive state of consciousness that is created when the vestibular (link is external) reflexes of the inner ear connect a person to the center of the earth during moments of acceleration. He believes this is the key to being in the zone.

This was music to my ears because my father had an obsession with the “vestibulo-ocular reflex” (VOR) and the cerebellum being the key to having an “eye for the ball” and creating a state of flow in sports.

It reminded me of Jacob's description of navigating through busy sidewalks.

frihet

Post by frihet »

Thank you,

Look at his face..........

That was a good reminder of what's truly important.

I needed this, worn out after weeks of night shift at the oil rigs.

Ego

Post by Ego »

frihet wrote: Look at his face..........
Along those same lines.....

https://youtu.be/tYfQSyDuriA

frihet

Post by frihet »

Love the idea that madness can be a healthy part of life.

It certainly feels good

From experience :)

BPA

Post by BPA »

Slomo is such an inspiration. There is something that really resonates with that youtube video you posted too, Ego.

All of my colleagues thought I was nuts to quit a "good job with benefits" especially since I didn't have anything lined up. I think the idea that I might be able to live on less than $15k a year was unfathomable to them. I explained to them that I wanted to leave before I became "completely disabled" since some of them did not understand how severe mental illness has to be to in order to qualify for LTD. The idea of a "good mental breakdown" is something I tried to explain to them. I wanted to leave while I was still happy and functional, not a burned out shell of my former self. I would have sent them the link to that video to explain things better had I known about it then.

I feel so happy living a simple life without the usual job. Several have told me that they wish they could quit too, but they are afraid they couldn't live simply in order to achieve FIRE.

Thanks for posting this thread.