Work assignment in Delaware - chance to fast track ere

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
zork97

Work assignment in Delaware - chance to fast track ere

Post by zork97 »

I`m moving to Newark Delaware this month on work for a couple of years. I`m from India and ERE wise it makes huge sense to save up on the dollars while I am in the US. Simply put I`m bloody excited ;) cos currency conversion will result in 3 -4 times my Indian salary savings rate!

I`m travelling with my spouse and my employer has not provided me any home finding services. My spouse is coming with a L2 visa and will not be working for at least 3 months till she gets a work authorization.

Wondering if i can get any pointers/tips from fellow ERE's from Delaware on what should i be prepared for?

Ian

Re: Work assignment in Delaware - chance to fast track ere

Post by Ian »

Hey, best of luck. US salaries are great if you're planning to head back to India. Immigration can be a real pain, but keep at it.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

Yes definitely going back. I'm heavily invested home country.

So now i'm in newark de. Getting around is almost impossible without a car. My late hours is not helping as the dart service stops by 5 to where i live and i have been asked not to walk to work as nobody walks here ! Work is about 3 miles away but i have to cross an interstate highway.

Now i am looking to get a driving licence and then lease a car for 2 years.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

Is a bike at all possible? Might be possible to find a slightly longer route that avoids the highway.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Oh man, having to get a car for a 3 mile commute? Ouch.

Is it possible to live on the same side of I-95 as the office?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Google satellite is good for scouting alternative routes. Just go along I-95 looking for over and underpasses.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Google maps will also create directions for you on foot.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

Hello All... resuming this thread after a long time. I moved from US to Argentina on a 2 yr assignment. During the 2.5 yr stay in the US I managed to save about half of the FI target. My spouse also found work in Buenos Aires ,so I am set to retire in 2 years. I will also be doing some traveling in this country visiting the Patagonia mountain ranges before I head back to India.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

Hello All... resuming this thread after a long time. I moved from US to Argentina on a 2 yr assignment. During the 2.5 yr stay in the US I managed to save about half of the FI target. My spouse also found work in Buenos Aires ,so I am set to retire in 2 years. I will also be doing some traveling in this country visiting the Patagonia mountain ranges before I head back to India.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

That's awesome! Have fun in Patagonia, I'm jealous.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

+1.

Want to see Patagonia, Cannot. Am Broke.

You are a lucky bastard. Have fun!

:)

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Well done! So what are you going to do when you retire?

zork97

Post by zork97 »

Thanks, I do think luck has been on my side. Did Patagonia (Bariloche) earlier this month and it was stunning. In this new country, my savings rate has been 50% until now which will most likely move upwards of 60% in the coming months.

@Eureka - I don't think I will quit once I'm FI .I will be taking more risks in my work life knowing I will be FI soon. Also thinking of moving to some European country to do another 2 year stint .This should be possible as I have experience working in Asian, North American and South American countries. Your country in high on the list :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Hi,

Congrats!! Good to see people achieving this in India also. While planning for FI, I struggle a bit with income generation due to high inflation. If you dont mind, would like to know how you planned for your income generation/ asset allocation?

zork97

Post by zork97 »

@liberate mind...

I have a fully paid house, a piece of land in India. All my savings are in equity mutual funds and I expect to make 10% yearly returns. I expect inflation to be at 6%.

Not too concerned at the inflation numbers as I do not intend to use investment returns, they will get reinvested and I am letting the power of compounding do its thing.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

I did it sooner than I expected! I am now FI!

Took me 8 years and I did it only because I stumbled on Jacob's blog in mid 2010, later bought his book, read it end to end and imbibed some of the philosophies.

A BIG thank you Jacob - soul savior! :D
And thanks to all the amazing people on these forums who have helped me with their insightful posts and wisdom.

I will continue to work in my day job (by choice) for 3 more years so that my SO gets some work experience here in Buenos Aires.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

wow, congrats :)

wolf

Post by wolf »

Well Done!!!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Congrats, what a great thread!

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Wow Congrats.

Thanks for explaining. Just wondering, if you are not going to touch the investment returns , what will your income be during retirement?