The best wallet or wallet style

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
riparian

The best wallet or wallet style

Post by riparian »

I had a 50 cent thrift store coin purse that was the perfect size for all my cards for a few years and then the zipper died. I replaced it with a dumpster end two pouch leather thing, and now the zipper has died on that too. It took up too much space anyways. Perhaps I should invest in or make a forever wallet.

What do you have?

What design do you prefer?

I see that now they are making wallets out of tyvek, which is genius cause the stuff is lightweight, thin, and tough. They seem to just print on it and then fold it up - into a big bulky wallet.

Can I just print on tyvek or dip it something to make it a nice color?

How would you origami a little wallet?

George the original one

Re: The best wallet or wallet style

Post by George the original one »

riparian

Post by riparian »

Awesome.

RecoveringConsumer

Post by RecoveringConsumer »

I tend to carry my phone and cards in an old palm-pilot case. Snaps, no zippers. Coated canvas exterior, leather interior. After 5 years, some of the stitches at the bend needed to be resewn - didn't compromise the structural integrity of the piece, but... stitch in time.

As for tyvek, it can take a color, but because it is a coated material, the dye doesn't penetrate the fibers deeply.
I've got some that I use for paper crafting - I'll play with it a bit tomorrow to see if it keeps it's color better with alcohol or water based dyes.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Well, no zippers, obviously :) I prefer something that's small enough for a front pocket (harder to steal) and I only carry the absolute essential cards, that is, cards I use daily (not all of them), see stealing. But I do have room for a few more. I carry cash and tend to ditch my coins asap by counting out exact change if I can (yes, I'm THAT guy).

Things that don't last long are zippers, transparent ID sleeves (the glue fails), and then---years after that---stitching, and then the leather.

The minimalist solution seems to be a pocket for the coins and a paperclip/clamp for the cards and bills.

PS: You can also make a wallet out of duct tape.

riparian

Post by riparian »

I need something sturdier than a rubber band cause business cards.

Also, I have two kinds of business cards and need the wallet to hide that from the person I'm giving a business card to...

Edit: also I have money filed in my wallet. Like, gas money in the front, food money in the back.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I'm similar to Jacob. I like it in my front pocket because it's hard to pickpocket me. Plus, I hate stuff in my pockets, especially my back pocket, so the smaller the better. All my change is immediately dumped in my change bin at home. Though, I rarely use cash, as my credit cards give me free stuff or cash back for same price as cash. Those that pay the minimum can pay for me too. ID, two credit cards (best rewards and best gas rewards), ATM card, health insurance card, and money.

RecoveringConsumer

Post by RecoveringConsumer »

Ok, results from the Tyvek trials - I used both alcohol ink and a water based ink on a USPS envelope. On both samples, I applied the ink lightly to the surface and let it dry completely.
I then submerged it in water, sanded it, submerged it in salt water, and then used rubbing alcohol.
I think next time I'm just going to have my 8 yr old do this, so we can call it a science project...

Results - both inks held up better than expected. The water-based ink did lose some color when wet, but it held up much better in the sanding trials. The isopropyl alcohol removed color from both inks, but it there was a greater level of displacement with the alcohol-based inks.

So, will your wallet get wet?

riparian

Post by riparian »

Probly not or only rarely like when I accidentally fall in the river.

Water based ink = watercolor? Markers?
Alcohol based ink = ?

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

I really like the "Jimi Wallet".

http://www.thejimi.com/

Cheap, tough, minimalist.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I have a combination money-clip cardholder thing that I can keep in my front pocket. I think someone gave it to me as a present some years back, because I don't remember buying it.

I'm like Chad with the change -- don't ordinarily carry it, throw it in a bowl or glass jars back home and take it to a bank that will count it for free every few months.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Most of the time I just slip my license, health card, and credit card inside my iphone case and stick it in my front pocket. I stick loose bills into my pocket and tuck a $50 into the case if necessary. That way I don't need a wallet at all.

I have a magpul case that's easy to get on and off and has room for the extra stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Iphone-Fie ... ase+magpul

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Dragline wrote:
I'm like Chad with the change -- don't ordinarily carry it, throw it in a bowl or glass jars back home and take it to a bank that will count it for free every few months.
Agree, change is almost worthless now. We have a small business account, and the credit unit tellers will no longer handle change. We have to go to a machine in the lobby to do that.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

jacob wrote:
PS: You can also make a wallet out of duct tape.

DS 11 makes a mean duct tape wallet. My has lasted nearly two years. :D

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4647

Ego

Post by Ego »

I got one of these stainless steel credit card holders on ebay. Not so great for cash but perfect for six cards and a drivers license.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Thumb-Sli ... 460f6b25f5

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Dragline wrote:I have a combination money-clip cardholder thing that I can keep in my front pocket. I think someone gave it to me as a present some years back, because I don't remember buying it.
Ditto. I prefer to pay in cash, but have 6 cards I carry in addition so this works the best for me.

Change I put in my pocket, count out when possible, and throw in the change jar as soon as I get home. Occasionally I'll raid it to get a luxury drink (coffee or whatever) but we just took it to our CU who counts it free and it was like $122 :!: A bit of an eye opener how much I was doing that as it used to never accumulate when we lived in the city and we had SBUX and 7-11 and taqueria a pleasant 10min walk from home.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

After wandering around another country for a few weeks with no wallet (left it behind because it's too fancy), I can attest to the fact that you don't really need one.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I have a ratty old trifold wallet. Like everything else in my life, it's full of too much, too old stuff.
This thread motivated me to look on ebay. Found one here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-Duct-T ... 1204582498) for $5.50 shipped. Claims to be made by 8 YO girls. I ordered one. We'll see how good the girls are and I'll report back.

BTW there are a plethora of DIY how to's to see with a simple google search, but for $5.50 why bother . Duct tape costs more.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Duct tape losses it's sticky when it gets too cold.