Easier to spend or save?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Is it easier for you to spend or save money?
For some reason I'm pondering the topic this morning. And I think, for myself, that inertia wins. That is: the status quo is easier to maintain than increasing or decreasing my current budget since I'm comfortable where I'm at and know that the goals will be met.
Reducing from here is probably a smidgeon harder than increasing, but could be done if I push.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

For me it's easier not to buy... which automatically become to save.

Since I stopped going to shopping malls on Saturdays afternoon and I've a life naturally intense with many things to do, I automatically lost interest in buying things and now is actually bugging me the idea to go shopping.
I've to say that for me was a pretty natural path, I didn't had to push myself into buying less :)
Ciao

D

dpmorel

Post by dpmorel »

I actually find it easier to not just save over spending, but also to explicitly remove cost. Most times a cost reduction on an expense is just a phone call away!
But to buy something I actually have to go through a really long process like this:
do research, think about it, talk to my wife, take time out of my usual quite busy routine to go buy it, go somewhere, go through that guilty feeling of spending money, drive home, assemble it, find out its not as good as I thought it would be, think hard about returning it, talk to my wife about returning it, take time out of my usual quite busy routine to go return it, go somewhere, sit in a long annoying return line, go through that awkward feeling of talking to the person at the counter and explaining to them that you don't want it anymore, etc.
Honestly, its been a while since a new non-staple purchase didn't disappoint me. Also, I work from home - so showering and going somewhere can be a very big mental barrier for me.

buzz

Post by buzz »

Right now, it's been spending. I just spent $1500 over the past three months starting up a business. It's almost ready to go, but I feel like I may have made a mistake. Ah well, I'm young and the time for experimenting is now, but I've already promised myself if this doesn't work out I won't sink this kind of money into anything else.
I will be returning to the saving-ERE mindset, and attempting to earn money on the side as well. I will be happy if I break even.