deleted

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Felix

Re: Raw food diet anyone?

Post by Felix »

If you want to go full raw, a Vitamix would help greatly with getting the calories in. I would agree with Wrangham, though, that we evolved with cooked food as our main fuel caloriewise. It also follows from this that raw food is great for weight loss. I guess in a raw food diet most of the calories come from fruit and nuts simply to get the calories in.

The new Vitamix jars are BPA free if that is a concern.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I'm not concerned about your first link if you don't plan on going 100% raw.

For your second link:
If you are just adding smoothies, the Vitamix or Blendtec (what I use) will basically pulverize a tree. Neither has BPA in the blender jar. It's also helpful to hand wash plastic instead of placing it in a dishwasher, as the heat from the dishwasher is supposed to "loosen" the chemicals in the plastic.

I have a kale, spinach, chia seed, green tea leaves, frozen berry, protein shake every morning for breakfast.

ICouldBeTheWalrus

Post by ICouldBeTheWalrus »

I enjoy some raw fish :)

Seriously though, a many raw vegetables are at least as good as their cooked counterpart, but when people start taking this as far as consuming things like legumes and grains raw (which are often hard to properly digest without cooking, fermentation, etc.), I think it's kind of silly.

The one major downside of including a lot of fruit in smoothie or juice form in the diet is that you're significantly increasing the glycemic load that results, since the sugars in it are absorbed by the digestive system much more rapidly than when you eat whole fruit. There's also some suspicion that excessive fructose intake leads to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

... Raw soup?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Compared to the standard American diet, adding more fruit and vegetables would be very far down my list of concerns. Just be smart about it ... banana, orange, and icecream smoothies are not going to be as helpful as a blend of say, kale, celery, blueberries, carrots, ... The keyword here is "green smoothie". We're not making desserts.

Just follow "Jacob's Diet Rule #1": If the food is someone's skin color, it 's probably bad for you 8-)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Good rule. But guess you've never seen Blue Man Group. ;-)