Bogleheads are mind-boggling sometimes.

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
secretwealth

Re: Bogleheads are mind-boggling sometimes.

Post by secretwealth »

jacob wrote:It's naive from a practical stand point ... however theoretically the math gets so much easier. Being able to use math (physics envy) was very important to the field of economics in the 20th century... still is.
There is an epistemological necessity in creating simple methods and models to build knowledge. Thus in economics and finance they will very often make assumptions that are completely detached from reality--to make the math work. Then they can use those assumptions to build models that, in turn, will have some use in reality.

There's nothing wrong with this at all, and, in fact, is a very useful tool in building knowledge.

The problem comes when there's an attempt to popularize this knowledge. In that process, the theoretical models are translated into "theories about how the world really is" in the minds of people. Go ahead, call me a snob, but what happens is that a lot of people cannot understand the difference between an economist describing a model and an economist describing the future.

As a result, you get this bizarre popularist permutations of perfectly sound and reasonable academic disciplines. Bogleheads are a perfect example of this phenomenon. It's a popularization of an academic theory that has theoretical validity, but limited practical application. The Bogleheads don't understand that, and so they see it as a practical tool.

Jpsilver

Post by Jpsilver »

But what is the overall success they get from the strategy? From what I understand they do fine right?

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Oh yeah, they do fine. A set-it-and-forget-it portfolio will underindex the top asset managers, but you won't lose your shirt doing it.

workathome

Post by workathome »

If I remember Bogle's book correctly, his research showed the odds of an investor beating an index fund by holding an actively managed fund over a long time period (30 years?), after deducting taxes and fees, were less than 1% - with most investors doing far worse than that because of poor timing and yield chasing.

bibacula

Post by bibacula »

workathome wrote:If I remember Bogle's book correctly, his research showed the odds of an investor beating an index fund by holding an actively managed fund over a long time period (30 years?), after deducting taxes and fees, were less than 1% - with most investors doing far worse than that because of poor timing and yield chasing.
+1

This discussion is mainly about creating ridiculous straw-man arguments.

Bogle's not a theoretical guy. He focuses on real-life returns (data-driven).

His advice works against MPT in some ways. For instance, he has never believed in international diversification or rebalancing.

Bogle believes in two things:
1. People can't consistently pick individual stocks. Nearly all professionals fail to select better stocks than an index over a multi-decade period, and individuals have terrible real-life stock returns.
2. Buy the whole market cheaply. If you're unlikely to consistently beat the market, then own everything at the lowest possible cost.

Of course, everyone on this forum is in the top 1% of stock pickers. :roll:

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

bibacula wrote:
workathome wrote:Of course, everyone on this forum is in the top 1% of stock pickers. :roll:
This is something that I don't get. To me index investing has to be the best way of investing. You get the whole market and that completely negates single stock risks.

The thing that I'm not 100% sold on though is market timing. If the whole market appears down I think you are better off buying more and vice versa. The thing with this approach is that selling stuffs you as well because tax comes into play.

anomie

Post by anomie »

@Ego
Ego wrote: This is an exceptionally important point. It is good to be confident based on your current ability to earn. It is better to be confident based on your ERE abilities while continuing to exercise your constantly improving adaptability.

I had a tenant who worked for Wang as an international troubleshooter. He had a map on his wall of all of the places they flew him to solve problems. I now have that map on the wall of my shed as a reminder of his lesson. He saved and retired early but continued to spend more than he should have. When Wang began to fade he made a conscious decision to eschew computers. He would continue to dress as a business executive but spent his days doing crossword puzzles and enjoying long conversations at a cafe with friends. The closing of the cafe back in the 1990s was a major blow to his lifestyle. He lost that link to people which he never regained but he continued with crosswords and took up Sudoku when it became popular. When his money was getting low he began applying for jobs but by then he had had so many years of non-productivity he just couldn't get hired. I had a long conversation with him after he was turned down for a position as a ticket taker at the movie theater a few blocks away. Soon after he applied to live in government subsidized housing in a sketchy neighborhood and moved out. Social Security is his only income.

When I read that people want to use ER to read and play video games I cringe.
This is quite the story. I appreciated its vividness. However, I would like to point out 2 things - 1 his fundamental problem as you describe. 2. object to your conclusion.

1. Your assessment of his fundamental problem:
Ego wrote: He saved and retired early but continued to spend more than he should have.
Could have ended there. But you concluded with:
Ego wrote: When I read that people want to use ER to read and play video games I cringe.
Personally, I think reading, gaming, and doing wtf ever you want in ER -- that is sort of the point asfaik -- is perfectly acceptable..... (the video game comment stuck with me for weeks for some reason ....).

Being an ERE multi-purpose earning tool is fine ...

... as is also being able to actually retire and enjoy life for those of us who can (or will be) able to afford to ....

.. as is also being able to mix and match the 2 (multi-tool and relaxing/enjoying the moment).

disclaimor/ caveat:
I am sure I am not expressing this as clearly as possible. It may stem from some misunderstanding, but this has been bugging me for a while. ...
dislaimor 2: I can not sustain a long / elaborated discussion of this , so tried to frame it as politely as possible, while still clearly stating objection.
best regards.

cheers.

paz

Post by paz »

Ego wrote: When I read that people want to use ER to read and play video games I cringe.
Nothing in that story suggests pursuing one's hobbies once retired, early or otherwise, will lead to financial (or emotional or mental) ruin; the problem was simply that he outspent his savings. If someone simply wants to read or play video games (or do anything else that doesn't harm others), I don't see anything wrong with it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

anomie wrote:Personally, I think reading, gaming, and doing wtf ever you want in ER -- that is sort of the point asfaik -- is perfectly acceptable..... (the video game comment stuck with me for weeks for some reason ....).
I apologize if I offended you or anyone else. Not my intention. I grew up in an age where video games were for kids. I see them as a way to kill time while being slightly more engaged than watching television. The world has changed and my perspective hasn't changed with it. Perhaps that's an indication that I need to catch up.

My point is that my tenant literally wasted his post-retirement free time. He didn't use it. He didn't invest it. He didn't DO anything with it. He wasted it. When he found that he needed to be productive again, he couldn't. The world moved on and he hadn't move with it.

FWIW, if I were to play video games, and if I gambled, it would be this one.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdmsRcsl_xA

workathome

Post by workathome »

Curious, Jacob's earlier comment seemed to imply the Bogleheads are right? Yet, reading some older blog posts it looks like he disagrees quite a bit with index investing.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Ego wrote: FWIW, if I were to play video games, and if I gambled, it would be this one.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdmsRcsl_xA
That is awesome! If that were real it would be the most watched sport on the planet.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, that video practically made me wet myself I laughed so hard. Thanks.

bibacula

Post by bibacula »

workathome wrote:Curious, Jacob's earlier comment seemed to imply the Bogleheads are right? Yet, reading some older blog posts it looks like he disagrees quite a bit with index investing.
I agree that it's odd.

Rebalanced index porfolios outperform active investors over long periods of time, and yet indexing is widely despised on this forum.

Personally, I don't look to the ERE forum for investing advice. ;)

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

bibacula wrote:
workathome wrote:Curious, Jacob's earlier comment seemed to imply the Bogleheads are right? Yet, reading some older blog posts it looks like he disagrees quite a bit with index investing.
I agree that it's odd.

Rebalanced index porfolios outperform active investors over long periods of time, and yet indexing is widely despised on this forum.

Personally, I don't look to the ERE forum for investing advice. ;)
Rebalanced index portfolios outperform most active investors. But there's a very very small group that outperform indexes, and have done for 10 or 20 years. Most of these people avoid the limelight and are not household names outside of the world of professional finance, but they exist (and are paid enormously as a result).

It seems the Bogleheads dismiss these people as being lucky. It seems more profitable to me to try to figure out what differentiates them from the rest of us.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

No no no no ... In investing, there's no such thing as a "strategy being right". Every time one person adopts a certain strategy, that strategy becomes part of the aggregate market behavior. The more people adopt the same strategy, the less return that strategy will have for those who come in later, because there are fewer buyers left; the more volatile the market will be, because there's no one to take the other side.

It seems to me that a lot of index investors ignore the market impact of their strategy and live in a world where they take their simplifying assumptions as gospel. Those simplifying assumptions atrophy proportionally with popularity.

So that's point one.

The second point is that index investing is better than "clueless mutual fund investing" for the usual reasons that the Bogleheads point out, i.e. the fees ... if you pick a manager cluelessly, that is randomly, you're more than likely to come out behind due to the fees. However, you don't need to be a top 1% [stock] picker to beat an index. You just need to be a top 49%.

There are four combinations of market participants ..
1) Those who know what they're doing and they know they know. (They outperform. Few people in this group would invest in mutual funds. If they do so they would stick to a handful of known superstars ... e.g. Buffett, Klarman, ...)
2) Those who don't know what they're doing but they think they do. (They overtrade, chase last years winners, etc. They underperform.)
3) Those who know they don't know. (They should be in index funds, focusing on making money on wages instead. This probably goes for 95% of the population. But keep in mind how clueless most people are when it comes to investing. Many of these people are instead in group 2 where they are being rescued by the Bogleheads.)
4) Those who know what they're doing but they don't think they do. (They lack confidence and make the same mistakes as group 2.)

I think the reason for the controversy is that there are two aspects to investing (with outperformance)
1) Knowing the market. (Which stocks are good, which are bad.)
2) Knowing yourself. (What's your pain tolerance.)

And as with every complex issue, the argument always gets gets confused when people are either ignorant about all the facets of the problem or choose to emphasize one facet over another, etc.

In my previous blog posts, I've tried pointing out some problems with the strategy (issue 1, lack of knowledge of the market). Of course, if anyone who doesn't know the market and is psychologically set to run their portfolio on faith&experts (they don't like opposition to their investment ideas, which practically manifest themselves as drawdowns) ... will take offense with the wrong thing .. the strategy critique.. when the problem really is their own psychological barriers that are responding---that experts aren't always right. That's hard for an expert (doctor, lawyer, engineer, ...) to accept. It jars with their reality.

Markets are not just math. They're also humans. You need to understand the "math" (by which I mean businesses or whatever) .. but you always also need to understand "who's taking the other side of my trade.. why do they disagree with me". I think most investors ignore this latter issue at their peril. They pretty much invest without thinking about how their action impact and change the system. Some have it right by thinking of "Mr. Market" but I think it's important to understand that Mr Market is really a mob of individual people.

Think of a group of people in a hotel they've never been in before. They need to find the bar. In that group you'll have all the above kinds of people. Some who don't know where they're going and just follow the group. Some who think they know but don't and lead the group in the wrong direction. Some who know, leading the group in the right direction. You've all experience the "does anyone know where we're going... uh no ... I was just following you.. oh, but _I_ was following you". This is a systems effect. It's very important. Index investors widely seem to refuse that this behavior exists. (Or at least they ignore it enough for other people to trade against them.) If you want to outperform, you have to leave this group! Here's the kicker: Most people in the group are unaware that some people have left it and have already found the bar. Saying that most people in the group beats following a random tour bus organizer doesn't prove that you can't find the bar faster than the group. That's like saying that "The average bus in Chicago doesn't navigate traffic faster than the average driver. Therefore nobody driving a car can navigate faster than a bus."

So in conclusion. There's no one best strategy as handed down from experts from above. There's an appropriate strategy for a specific person. Most people are probably better off in index funds although index investing is not the best strategy. It is by definition the average strategy. It is appropriate for someone with an average understanding of markets.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

> They pretty much invest without thinking about how their action impact and change the system.

This is why I use parimutuel betting as a simile for an active market.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I don't just think index investing is for the average investor. The low costs associated with it are where it really shines. The low costs + consistent average returns can beat high costs + inconsistent but maybe higher returns over time.

I'd add that no matter how good an investor is and how great his strategy sounds or how mathematical it is you are trying to predict the future. The guys from Long Term Capital Management were brilliant. It is arrogant for most people to believe that they are smarter or better than these guys. They lost money.

I'd add that my father-in-law has been an active trader in the foreign currency markets and has made millions. I've seen him make some big mistakes as well. He retired at about 40 and was loaded. At some point he started his own trading company. He lost money and paid back the investors out of his own funds. The point being that despite being really good he has lost money for periods of time and cannot provide guaranteed consistent returns. I'd add that he is still really wealthy but that some people he worked with are not. He is wealthy because he is basically frugal whereas other guys had to travel first class went they went overseas.

bibacula

Post by bibacula »

@stevo73 - Totally agree that low costs are the key. Why can't anti-indexers give any data of superior past performance?

Because the number of people who beat the their respective index are statistically insignificant.

A Warren Buffett Story: If you had 10,000 trained coin-flipping chimpanzees flip coins, roughly 5,000 would flip "correctly" the first time. After many flips, only one super-lucky chimpanzee would have flipped correctly every time.

Statistically, stock pickers who beat their index after expenses over a long period occur as often as the lucky monkey above. See this pdf. (http://gates.comm.virginia.edu/uvafinan ... ermers.pdf)

Theory is unimportant in the end. Can anyone give real-world returns showing skill in stock picking over time? Or do you just need faith, like a religion?

workathome

Post by workathome »

I found Jacob's posts on indexing interesting after reading Bogle's book. They counter the pro-indexing arguments, much as he wrote above. (Now I see why he might refrain from chiming in or updating the blog, probably gets to feel pretty repetitive).

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... entextreme

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

bibacula wrote: Theory is unimportant in the end. Can anyone give real-world returns showing skill in stock picking over time? Or do you just need faith, like a religion?
Here are two I'm familiar with ...
http://www.gurufocus.com/StockBuy.php?G ... th+Klarman
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pm?s=FPACX+Performance (Steve Romick)

And there's of course Buffett.

All three of them tend to be able to sit on large amounts of cash for extended periods when they think risk outweighs reward. They tend to buy a wide assortment of securities, not just common stocks. In short, they have large freedoms to go wherever for inefficiencies.

You will find that outperformers either close their funds quickly or get hired into private money because of the inherent limitations of managing a sizeable fund due to slippage. This means it's hard/impossible to identify these guys based on just looking at their 1-3-5 year returns---as most people do when they tick off holdings on their 401k plan. You have to read their annual letters to see what they're doing and crucially WHY they're doing it.

The slippage problem is also why the average of mutual/pension funds don't beat the market... because they are the market.

It is also why Buffett can't get the same returns he could were he only to manage a 1M portfolio.

It's also why this is a very strong edge for people not invested in mutual/pension funds. They can buy and sell without moving the market price for practically all stocks... not just MidCap or larger.

WRT statistics, and this is an important point. I once read a book. Unfortunately I forget the title but it was a value investing book. Maybe it was Security Analysis or the Intelligent Investor or someone belonging to the philosophy (there are about 10 classics or so...could have been any). It did in fact mention the coin flipping example. It did however also mention that out of 20 of Graham's (I believe it was Graham but don't quote me on it) students close to all of them went on to gain spectacular returns. Now if you include such small groups in a big random sample of 25 year old MBA/CPA/CFA managers, with little individual insight and echo chamber thought processes, sure it will drown out statistically and you won't see a signal. So you need to add another dimension to the data. You need to use more than just "recent returns" when datamining. In particular, you need to use something that's unquantifiable by simple statistical analysis. Why? Because anyone (401k investors pretty much do it all the time!) is capable of doing such an analysis and those those funds that answer to such an analysis are quickly maxed out resulting in a subsequent crappy performance. It's inevitable by construction.

Now, if you do this, you will be able to find that certain kinds of people do have an edge. In short, as always, you need to provide actually value to the market in order to profit. It's impossible to gain an edge without working for it. Very important!

Unfortunately, this is not something that can be written down in a single paragraph on the internet. It requires reading at least 50 different investment books, as many as possible really, plowing through prospectuses, thinking very deeply about what makes sense. Thinking about the markets. Most people are not willing to go to such lengths. Not even professionals.

It's a little bit like a high school class. Imagine that instead of just doing homework, which you for the sake of the argument has no interest in, you could just copy the average answer and get a guaranteed C-grade. This beats copying a random classmate, because you might copy a D-student. You could also randomly copy an A-student. What makes it trickier is that D-students don't always get Ds and neither do A-students get As. Were you just to sample you friends statistically you might not learn who is really an A student and who is really a D student before graduation. Hence random sampling is insufficient and a poor strategy compared to just indexing the answer. However, if you put in some effort in getting to know your classmates, you get an idea of whose the smarter student and who is not. So now you can copy who you think will be an A student with more confidence than a random z-score, but ONLY because you put in effort. If you put in even more effort, you can even start doing your own problem solving and get your own answers. After all, with enough diligence, you might be an A+ student. In that case, you'll probably want to stop copying.

This analogy holds almost exactly!

However, because the method (of identifying smart friends vs dumb friends or smart managers .. or how to solve investment problems) can't be demonstrated in three easy steps, it's pretty much impossible to convince anyone who disagree. You see the problem here? Like if I told you my current holdings, you'd still have to wait 5 years to figure out if I was right. And if I show my results over the past 5 years (which are 40% better than the market) you'll say I was just lucky. But what if I had really good reasons back then and those turned out right .. would you trust me more? Dunno ... maybe you would/ Maybe you wouldn't.

There really aren't any special "expert secrets" to the methods that obtain those results. They've been known for over 80 years. It's just that putting in all that work and having to disagree with popular sentiment is tough to stomach, so most simply choose not to. I will readily admit that buying into a downbeaten sector sucks when it falls another 20% ... and it may suck for a year or two until it turns around and doubles. In the meantime there's a lot of worry. I really do, occasionally, consider simply switching to market returns just so I don't have to endure the uncertainty anymore. In the groupings I described above, I consider myself a 1 but sometimes a 4. I know and mostly I know that I know, but sometimes there's fear, doubt, uncertainty.

We may never agree on this but maybe we can agree to disagree. Fact is, index investors do their thing and non-index investors do their thing. Consider that the wide-spread belief that market beating is impossible actually makes it easier. If I was less argumentative (I really try to be), I would just shut up and take advantage of it (like I did in 2008/09... and which I think I'm doing now in 2013).