ERE sneakers

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
simple

Post by simple »

Hi all - getting sick of Chuck Taylors wearing out very quickly, but I don't want to wear boots à la Jacob all day every day and my wife wouldn't be happy about it either!
Anyone know of very durable low-tech sneakers that might fit better with an ERE-influenced lifestyle?

Socrates

Post by Socrates »

I like Reebok Classics. They provide adequate support and are durable and reasonably priced. I've been wearing my current pair for 4 years and they are still in great shape albeit with some wear on the soles from running and walking.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I'm pretty sure you can get them resoled, which is always where my wear & tear ends up being.

George the other one

Post by George the other one »

I run about 3 thousand miles in my Adidas Trail Responses and then put on another 2 thousand walking around in them. Actually, I don't think I've ever actually worn them out. I just end up switching to my newest worn-out running pair once I've compacted all the cushion out of them. I bet just walking around in them I could get somewhere around 8 thousand miles on them. They cost about 70 bucks a pair.

miyatarama

Post by miyatarama »

I just bought some vibram five-fingers. They have the advantage of acting like you are walking bare-foot, similar to but better than the chuck taylors. So far I really like them, they are expensive but I think they will last a long long time.

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I try to get merrell trail shoes on sale. Wear them until the soles are gone (a few years). However the longest lasting pair of shoes I've had are teva sandals. Probably used them for 20 years (not continuously) or so until my dog chewed em up.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

LOL, photoguy, as I wear Merrell's too. In my case, I get the slip-ons since I don't like to bother with tieing laces. Fabric topped for casual wear which, when they get too ugly, become gardening & wading shoes. Leather topped for work, which become gardening & workshop shoes when too ugly.
Total lifespan is probably 2 years in primary role and 2-3 years in secondary role, so about $13-15/yr.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

My most comfortable pair of shoes have been Merrell's but I have not had this consistent experience for ever pair I have bought. Sometimes the plastic in the heal has cracked (because I force my feet in because I don't like tying shoes).

simple

Post by simple »

Saw pretty patchy reviews on Merrells. Might try the Response Trails...
Chucks apparently last about 8-12 months on average now!