Should I finish my degree for ERE?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Fred Tracy

Post by Fred Tracy »

Hey all, I keep getting great advice here so I thought I'd ask another question. Really, I'd just like some advice on what you would do if you were me.
I have been thinking lately about finishing my computer science degree. I'm going to do it online because my job hours are from 7:30 AM to as late as 6PM, so I wouldn't be able to take many hours at the local university.
The thing is, I can't quite decide if getting the degree would be a good choice for ERE. Basically, I want to save up around $400k plus have a small house (~$70k) and then retire. To achieve that goal with my current job, it's going to take about 12 years. I'm 23 years old now, so I'd still be pretty young.
If I were to get the degree, assuming I'd start out at an average salary for the career I'm going into, it would probably take me about 9 years total, and that's after the cost of schooling. I have tried to estimate average raises for both jobs, and that's what the numbers come to.
So, I could shave 3 years off my retirement date by finishing the degree. Easy choice right? Except, in order to do that, I'm going to have to work almost full time hours and take on a full courseload online, which is no walk in the park. Also, my current job carrying mail is really easy, though a bit boring. I could see myself doing it for quite some time. We often get done hours early and still get the same pay, and don't have to deal with much BS.
Looking ahead, I'm not sure if a degree in some sort of IT/programming office job would be better or worse. It would be physically easier, but probably more stressful. More mentally stimulating, but perhaps a whole new kind of boring. I'm currently alone for the majority of the day, which I love, whereas taking the new job could involve a lot of meetings, buttkissing, "networking", and so on, none of which I really care for.
In short - I've got a sweet gig right now that pays decently (40k to 60k/yr). I could potentially upgrade that salary to 60k starting out to 80k or more a year, but I'd have to bust my butt in school while working for two years, although the job I get could be better or worse than what I have now.
Do I take the long but easy course, or shave 1/4 of the time off with a bit of a gamble?
What would you do if you were in a similar situation? Thanks guys.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I don't mind hard work (it's only two years), so I'd get the degree in order to increase my choices later on.

Christopherjart

Post by Christopherjart »

Not having a college degree will limit your job options and potential income at those jobs. If you can finish your degree, you really should. There's no guarantee that you'll stay retired all your life.

Fred Tracy

Post by Fred Tracy »

Aye. You both make good points. The thing about the post office job is that if I ever quit, I'd have to start my way up from nothing, and chances are my current position won't even be available for me to start from in say 10 years.
At the very least, even just getting the degree as a backup would be good.
And yeah, I don't really mind the hard work aspect of it. I'm actually looking forward to learning a lot from it.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I would definitely finish the degree and do it as fast as possible.
The brutal schedule of work/school is doable. I did a full time Masters program for two years while averaging 65 hours of work a week. So, it is doable.
The one caveat is that I really liked my job, so two years with that type of schedule was possible. The fact that your job is easy would help take some of the stress out of a tough schedule.
Another reason to complete the degree is that it would provide extra security for you over your life. All kinds of bad things can happen that cost money. The degree would allow you to mitigate these risks.
One of these bad things could be the elimination of the Post Office. I know I would gladly give up postal service, as I have no need for it and it actually just causes me more work everyday (junk mail). 12 years is a long time considering how fast everything is going electronic.
At the very least the Post Office will be cut back significantly in the next 10 years.
The degree will also make it more likely you could take advanatage of any opportunities or interests that pop-up, as a degree is basically just proof you have a certain level of intelligence and work ethic. The degree won't necessarily limit you to just that field.
Also, it will give you social standing and good will in society. I know, from other comments/posts, you don't place much in this personally. However, it never hurts to have the ability to use this good will when needed.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

I'd only do it if you think you'll enjoy the course work. Otherwise, if it's just drudgery for the sake of future money/security, you're probably better off taking a second job or working on a side business in your spare time. Maybe just developing some kind of marketable software would be more worthwhile?

Ego

Post by Ego »

I think you've got to ask yourself what you want to do. Then ask yourself if you really need a degree to do it. Chances are, you can probably hopscotch the degree process and jump right into the doing...
In the past it was necessary to get a degree in order to satisfy gatekeepers. Those gatekeepers are rapidly disappearing.

Fred Tracy

Post by Fred Tracy »

It's funny, because all I want to do is be "retired" such that I can just... relax. That's all I can think of wanting, you know, the free time to just do as I please. But there aren't many jobs that allow that! :P
Chad, I think you're right and I'm going to def get the degree... and I still can feel how having a degree gives a certain higher level of status. I almost disagree with my own emotions on this one, but I am simply wired to be human, so what to do?
Mike, that is interesting. I haven't thought that perhaps I could earn more by investing time in a side project, that would then increase my savings rate and bring my retirement date closer than even a degree. I do have a website, and a nearly completed e-book, so perhaps I should just finish that and see where it leads.
I am pretty set on the degree thing, but you do raise an interesting point Ego. I suppose the real problem is that I don't really want to "do" anything - at least not in a work setting. I just hate schedules.. not sure if I could turn that into something workable or not.