Why do some degrees cost so much more?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

My uncle was a union carpenter. He always made bank, but now has been without a job for years. My other uncle (union electrician) is also having trouble finding consistent work. I think a lot of finding work in the trades is how far you are willing to look for it.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

My friend that is a middle school teacher showed me this Engineering Paradise video. It is entertaining.

Frugal Vegan Mom

Post by Frugal Vegan Mom »

Thanks everyone for all the input on this. Has made me consider some factors I hadn't previously.... but still when it comes down to it, price of education seems ridiculous to me in many cases.
Re: Learning carpentry - My dad grew up very poor on a family farm in Wisconsin. He got out as soon as high school ended and put himself through four years of college (small state college, much more affordable then) to become a teacher.
He taught shop for a couple years at a high school and got bored, so he quit and started his own construction business and taught himself how to build houses. He hires out some of the more difficult work (electric, plumbing), but for the past 25 years has been making a great living building houses on his own, hiring a few people when he feels like it, taking other side remodeling jobs as it interests him, taking whatever time off he feels like for fun hobbies or vacation.
My point is, the ability to fix or build useful things is so valuable. It will always be in demand. I think part of it is natural skill, but part just having patience and willing to work hard. My dad amazes me.
Unfortunately I lack the natural skills and rely on my "that's a man's job, you fix it dad/husband/any male willing to fall for my line" schtick ;-).

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I want to be your dad:) Choosing when I work!

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

@Muji: This may not work because you're expats, but there's always community college for two years (general requirements) then state university for 2 years (major requirements). ~$25000 in tuition for the whole thing (3600/yr cc, $8000/yr state college). Then of course you have room & board.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

In State is the way to go for any degree!

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I second The Dude, does your dad need an apprentice or want a 2nd location in St. Louis MO?

Frugal Vegan Mom

Post by Frugal Vegan Mom »

Hey Kevin - no, but I wish! St. Louis is awesome and at least a little warmer than Minneapolis.
Every family gathering I get good and buzzed and make long arguments about how we should all pool our resources and move south together, fix up a duplex or something, then all be free to work part time and live happily ever after.
Sort of unrealistic with family members, but hey wine will do that to ya.
Family is the main thing keeping us here, we are all here (and most of us hate the cold even though we've been here our whole lives!)

fiby41

Re: Why do some degrees cost so much more?

Post by fiby41 »

BE cost 11 times a BSc per year when I was looking. Engineering colleges can increase their fees 10% YoY so they do. My_uni has 100+ engg colleges affiliated to it and gets surprised when 1-2 colleges shut shop due to lack of students.
It took covid for state banks to start offering loans for in_country education.

Law edu costs about same as any other BA/MA per year but if you enroll after 10+2 you've a 5 year course or if you enroll after completing a bachelor's in any other discipline it's a 3 years course.

Medical edu fees are all over the place so I can't generalize range as above. Just as students from my_country go to USA for ME/MTech post-graduation, they go to Russia for medical.

Some of the ~1.4k courses offered online have credits & cost ~$13 to give an invigilated exam for as the goal is to retain 50% of 10+2ed youth into formal education. ~1.6 million actually showed up after paying the fees last sem but 1/5 th of them were faculty looking for a refresher.