Tools/Devices/Items/Equipment that helps you to Live Below Your Means

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
nico33

Post by nico33 »

I am trying to Live Below My Means. I was just wondering if there are particular tools/devices/items/etc. that have helped you in particular in achieving your goal of Living Below Your Means. Is there specific equipment that has helped you to live consistently below your means? For example, cooking equipment would help you to avoid having to eat out consistently and that may help you to LBYM. Having tax software may allow you to do your own taxes instead of paying a tax preparer to do your taxes and that may help you to LBYM, you may own and use your own lawn mower, and that may help you to LBYM.
These are the types of tools/devices/items/etc. that I am looking for. Thanks.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

-Hair clippers

-Good blankets (turn the heat down at night)

-Assortment of hand tools acquired when needed (for repair, maintenance, and handyman work)

-Prepaid, no frills cell phone, and no land line

-Durable shoes and clothing for all seasons

-Small Nissan truck (reliable, low cost, fuel efficient for a truck, easy to maintain, delivers, hauls away, commutes, makes road trips, etc)

-Outdoor antenna instead of cable/satellite

-Bicycle
For the most part, I try to concentrate on not accumulating stuff, and especially not accumulating the stuff the begets more stuff - DVD players and their DVDS, Stereo and CDs, game systems and games, Collectibles, etc.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Lawn Mower: a quality reel lawn mower such as the Fiskars Momentum -- no gasoline needed

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-6201-18-I ... 612&sr=1-1
Rapid Washer: a hand-held agitation device for washing clothes in a bucket or tub -- no electricity needed, much lower water use; combine with a drying rack and/or clothesline for very cheap, off-the-grid laundry cleaning

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Washer-Ope ... 540&sr=8-1
George Foreman Grill: Very easy for cooking meat depending on the recipe. Haven't checked, but would assume it uses less energy than baking but maybe more than stove-top cooking. I just like the convenience factor.

http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GR ... 819&sr=1-1
I own and use all of the above, although my Foreman grill is an older model.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Very large crockpot for cooking soups and stews on the weekends.
Tupperware containers for taking soups & stews to work and freezing half the soups and stews for later use. Also like the sandwich-sized containers so the sandwich doesn't get mangled.
I've always done my taxes by hand. It ain't hard. Until last year, that is, when I ended up filing 22 pages for the Federal return and just couldn't cope with the volumes of paperwork.
Solar powered scientific calculator. Keeps me from wanting a laptop. Never have to find live batteries.
Amplified antenna for over-the-air HDTV reception. No TV subscriptions for me, thank you! (*)
DVD changer. DVDs all stay in the changer and don't have to be handled. (*)
Decent set of combination wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers for car maintenance. Less desired if you don't own a car. Car maintenance isn't just for men... despite being "just a secretary", I saw my mom disassemble and reassemble a rototiller, dishwasher, clothes washer, clothes dryer, etc.
Avoid "collectibles" and kitsch. If you have to have them, buy a good display cabinet to keep them dustfree and protected from damage.
(*) Better would be to not own a TV and DVDs. Use your free time to earn more money, improve skills, or finish projects.

Landor n Stella

Post by Landor n Stella »

1. The basics of cooking- if you know how most dishes are started, from the base, then you can whip a delicious meal out of your pantry at any time. (keeping it moderately stocked with basics helps, too) along with this a limited number of good pans and kitchen utensils.

2. A note wrapped around your credit card, reminding you why you are going FI/ERE, and that you *have* to look at before you spend money. This has stopped me from a large number of stupid purchases.

3. Your housing and how close it is located to your work/school/grocery can have a huge effect on your expenses. Reevaluate that if you have not done so already.

~Stella

Debbie M

Post by Debbie M »

Some things I use:
* Sewing stuff - for repairing and altering clothes and for making stuff like potholders. I have a sewing machine, but haven't taken it out in years--I just do mending or whatever in front of the TV.

* Regular tools (hammer, screwdrivers, level, drill) - I have used these to hang blinds and curtain rods, hang a pot rack, and hang pictures, plus fix things.

* Metal spatula - Good for scraping all kinds of things, like burnt-on food, labels off glass jars (so I can use them to store bulk items), and weird things on the concrete floor after I pulled up the carpeting.

* Scissors - cutting coupons, hair, green onions, and a million other things. Oh, I cut rosemary and flowers from my yard to decorate gifts wrapped with brown paper--it looks fancy but is free once I plant the plants.

* Bookmarks - help me save places with good ideas I'll want to copy down when I get off the bus.

* Computer - learning things; comparison shopping (especially travel); looking up contact info, addresses, and hours; and a million other things

* Library card - that's sort of like a tool. And other frequent-flyer type cards. And a rewards credit card.

* Tweezers, bandaids, antibiotic cream, ice pack (such as a bag of frozen peas) - can save a doctor visit. Also, toothbrush, floss. Not to mention helmets, seatbelts, knee pads ...

* Tiny screwdrivers - fixing glasses, prying the back off a watch so I can replace the battery

* Tire gauge - keeping car tires properly pumped helps with gas savings. Also jumper cables.

* Kitchen tools for what I cook - most of my stove-top cooking involves stirring, so I don't need thick, heavy pans with even heat; I like Revereware, which is much easier to clean than the thin aluminum camping pans I learned to cook in, a teflon pan for eggs, and an electric griddle for making lots of pancakes. I do not have a food processor (I use a blender or a cheese grater) or a mixer (I use beaters or a wire whisk or a fork). Also very important: Knives, a cutting board, measuring spoons, and measuring cups. And of course re-usable dishes and glasses. And appliances.

* Knapsack - for carrying things with me like lunch and water so I don't have to buy things as often

* Sandwich containers for storing single-sized servings of things--I also bring these to restaurants because their portions are usually huge.

* Knitting needles - hats and scarves are cheaper and more personalized.

* Shovel, rake, and lawn mower. (This is not really enough for my yard. I may need a blow-torch or a nuclear weapon.)

* Barrettes and scrunchies - keep hair out of my face/off my neck so I can grow it long, so it doesn't need cutting as often, plus I can reach to cut my own hair.

* Earrings and necklaces - help me feel dressed up without having to wear make up (I wear pearl earrings or semi-precious sparkly stud earrings to work, for example.)

* Tape measure - to compare things in the store with spaces at home. Other measuring devices are handy, too--a time piece, a pedometer. I also used geometry skills (that's a tool) to calculate the largest lazy susan that would fit in my cabinets given their depth and the cabinet openings. Other math skills let me calculate per unit prices, future earnings, etc., so I make better decisions.

* Eyeglasses - helps me see all my options at stores, among many other things

* Broom, sponge, dusting rags - help keep things clean so they keep working, etc.

sky

Post by sky »

a laptop and internet connection provides entertainment, communication and education. I would not know about ERE without the laptop.
Practical shoes and boots that allow me to walk to work regardless of rain or snow conditions. A good coat also helps here.
A kitchen with good storage for food, a durable refrigerator, oven/stove and kitchen utensils help me turn low cost ingredients into good meals.
A bicycle provides freedom, exercise and long distance transportation.
A house keeps my family warm, dry and comfortable while providing security and room to keep stuff.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Electric Blanket...don't have to turn on the heat.
No Cable
No Cell Phone
Rice Cooker
DVD Player...don't have to go the movie theatre
WWW.HamiltonBooks.com for reading materiel
Using Motorcycle instead of Truck
Goodwill and Salvation Army for odds and ends I might need.
Amazon.com it I do have to buy something...usually anything I might need is discounted and I get it delivered free so no spending on gas or wasting time driving around.

riparian

Post by riparian »

- Bow saw, axe, splitting maul, wedges = unlimited wood and exercise.
- Solar panels, charger, batteries, inverter = freedom from electric bill and enough electricity to make a little money, and charge my phone and kindle.
- Rifles, snares, fish nets = free protien forever.
- Living far far away from retail stores = little opportunity to spend money.
- Vehicle equipped for camping = complete freedom within the road system.

Debbie M

Post by Debbie M »

bigato, good point about buying tools in advance. You can often rent or borrow a tool for one-time use or to try it out. (I got to borrow a breadmaker from a friend and learned that I hate cleaning it and so would never use it. So I didn't buy one for myself.)
riparian, do you really get free protein forever? Do you have access to places where you don't need hunting or fishing licenses? Perhaps so if you also live someplace where you can cut trees and just take them home.

riparian

Post by riparian »

I get the low income hunting license and subsistence fishing. It's like $10/year. Bullets cost money, but I mostly fish with the same net every year and snare rabbits and beavers with the same snares. Needing the license is a little debatable, I've never seen fish and wildlife out here and as a kid we never had them. But $10 is cheap insurance and I generally stick to the letter of the law since its an easy way not to go to jail.
I'm the only person on my side of the river for about 15 miles, so it's all "mine."

Marlene

Post by Marlene »

A bit off topic:

One of my best tactics is a friend who sells the cast-off of someone who "must" upgrade her wardrobe - never have worne such expensive labels before for such a low price (12USD for a Hilfiger sweater) Patience also pays off - I got very nice chairs from friends who were moving.
Otherwise: cooking large portions and freezing them, biking sometimes to work and things like darning socks come to mind.

GandK

Post by GandK »

My favorite tool is that I have an HTC Evo 4G as my phone (Sprint), which I got about 2 years ago on a reduced price phone plan because of G's job discount. When you root that phone, you can use it to make WiFi for you for free. And since Sprint's phone plans have unlimited data, G and I decided to drop our other home Internet and use my phone for that instead. Our cell phone bill went up, but the cost we saved by dropping home Internet and phone service more than made up for it. And now we have our "home" Internet with us wherever we go in the US as long as we have a data signal.
G's favorite household cost savings came from asking a nearby business if we could use their dumpster. The guy said yes (he's a friend of ours), and we dropped our household trash pickup service and the monthly fee that went with it. Now G takes it to the dumpster instead.
Finally, keep a price book: http://americascheapestfamily.com/tips/ ... cker-sheet

Marg

Post by Marg »

I can't think of anything to buy that I wouldn't have had otherwise. It's generally been not buying things that have saved me money ^^
Being able to cook yummy food at home and packing lunches saves a huge amount. Eating out is very expensive and easy to eliminate... so a kitchen and some good recipes. I do have some kitchen appliances that I use a great deal, but I think they are normal things that my non-frugal friends also have. Same for most other areas of life.

Jan in MN

Post by Jan in MN »

A clothesline in my basement (we heat with wood in the winter, so things dry faaaaast) and one outside for summer.

Zoombies

Post by Zoombies »

By far my biggest tool is a paid-for house. Taxes are a mere $800/yr. Insurance has been around $450. However, its pretty simple to analyze what tools will allow you to live below your means... Simply view whatever you are considering strictly as an investment. In this case, the money that the device actually saves you is you return. If the return is higher than what you can get by taking and putting your money into a 'real' investment, your good to go.
For instance, I bought a toilet, I determined how much my old toilet use per flush, then I monitored usage for a while. I found how much water per month we were using with the old toilet. Then I used the numbers I got to determine if I purchasing a low-flush toilet would be effective at saving money. In my case, the new toilet was looking like a 25% ROR. So I bought it, and checked again how much my consumption went down. Indeed, the new toilet did as planned and it appears it will comfortably pay for itself at around the 4 year mark. Maintenance is negligible, so in this case it is pretty clear cut.
Anything and everything you purchase can be viewed in this way. You just have to be realistic about expected results. Leave room for error! There are many things you may replace or purchase to reduce your costs, but make sure they are not slowing your main investment goals. It is not uncommon to find items that may easily give you 10-30% returns. Just be very careful not to get into any buying traps. Do not 'sugar coat' your figures just to buy something... If its not gonna save you cash, it won't improve your situation. Be analytical!

themoneymonk

Post by themoneymonk »

Gand K,
I had that idea about the trash, but my municipality won't even let us drop the collection charge form our bill!
They even charge by the size of the receptacle, so I at least of course opted for the smallest and cheapest one. For an 'un-consumer' like me it is usually big enough anyway, but when it isn't I just make a run to a local apt complex. They have to pay the same fees whether their dumpsters are full or not, so I don't feel bad.
I would also say a calculator helps me live cheaper. Calculations let you know if something is really saving you money, and how much.
The internet too. Not only does the internet allow one to find info, deals, etc, but I also derive a steadily increasing monthly paycheck from my internet activities. Adsense, as well as ebay and craigslist selling.

Phayen

Post by Phayen »

My Weber Smokey Mountain helps me. It was slightly expensive up front, but I can cook up alot of meat at a time and then portion it out and freeze it. This way I get good tasting meat at a fairly cheap price. I can buy poorer cuts as well and everything is more convenient.

Roark

Post by Roark »

Reading history (of the daily lives of normal people), speaking to grandparents or those who are about 50 years older than me about their childhoods, speaking to anyone my father's age who grew up in a rural area about their childhood.
I spoke to a retired US Navy veteran at the immigration office in Chiang Mai the other day. He told me that he was one of the younger siblings among 11, and when it was his time to use the washtub that the water was quite dirty when the family would have their weekly bath. He said he can still remember when they got their first phone (it was a shared line with all the neighbours, and they could listen in, hah).
It makes you realize that 50 years ago, many people lived with a lot less. If I were to move into a $10,000 used motorhome today, it would have many times more labour saving devices, conveniences, and luxuries than the retired naval veteran grew up with.
With those lessons in mind you will stop looking at *purchases* as helping you meet your goal of ERE. That single shift in mentality will be more useful to you than any purchase.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Excel for budget analysis.
Books. Namely the ERE book, Your Money or Your Life, and The Tightwad Gazette. I suppose Cashing in on the American Dream really drove home this is nothing new.
In general, I think the idea that buying stuff is a good way to save money is still a consumer mentality. You lived yesterday just fine with what you have, why do you need something new today?
Cleaning out my unneeded posessions every 6 months or a year really drives this home. With few exceptions, the items that were once my precious treasures, that I spent my money on, are worthless. Nobody wants them. It doesn't feel very good to realize that.
The things that have retained their value, they never seem to be the ones I am ready to part with. I try to only buy stuff like that these days.