My Epiphany happened like this....

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
djc

Post by djc »

I was sitting in a Corporate banking meeting about 50 miles from home at 8:00 AM surrounded by really "motivated" company climbers in full butt-kissing mode: YES, YES we can achieve our goals---YES, YES we can MAX out our bonuses; YES, YES we're happy to work late......gag me. After 7 years of this I had to find a way out but with a wife, young daughter and a mortgage I wasn't sure how to do it. When I got back to my branch I found an article interviewing Vicki Robin about YMOYL and I was off to the races.
Pay off mortgage in 4 years (I live in the midwest-great housing for minimal amounts) and then save 50%+ of my gross income. Then wife goes back to work parttime and increase savings rate.
Eventually cut back to parttime and continue to build savings. Cut expenses to the bone and have MORE FUN. Lose 50 lbs. and the stupid cruises and trips to Disney.
The only real challenge is having an answer to the questions----"what do you do" and "I may have a job lead for you." HA!!!
I presume that most of the posters here are in their 20's or 30's and I must say that you're WAY ahead of my generation who, for the most part, are drowning in under water mortgages and an obesity epidemic.
I'm glad I found the ERE blog.
djc

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

That's similar to the path I want to take - cut back to part-time or run my own biz when the wife goes back to work in a few years. We're pretty sure we can pay off our mortgage 5 years after she goes back to work, so I may stick it out full-time that long but who knows.
Congrats on your success!

TWIG

Post by TWIG »

I am in my early 50's. Loving ERE blog... One of the best things about ER is I have the luxury of time to NOT plan but uncover the essence of my being. Maybe some could do it and work but I couldn't. I was my job, my life. Even after three years it seems like I am just arriving at a deeper sense of "me". The gift of choice still feels like a miracle.
We live frugally and creatively to get by, focusing on the gift it gives us.
What a blessing for you and your family..."My Epiphany". It just gets better as the years go by and your choices grow.
Blessings.

PipSquack

Post by PipSquack »