Grass Eating Boys in Japan

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

I ran across this Slate article from 2009 about the rise of the “grass eating boys” in Japan.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... lemma.html
It seems that these fellows don’t want to get married, don’t want to spend money or become consumers, and enjoy more passive pursuits like walking, photography, video games, etc.
The article focuses on the sex aspect (or lack thereof), but I don’t think that’s right. It seems to me that it’s a rebellion against the consumer life as a package, i.e., marry, have children, buy expensive house and new cars, work and consume until dead. Although I don’t know enough about Japanese culture to know if this is accurate (these men seem somewhat Buddhist to me which would not be surprising in a Buddhist country), it does seems to be a conscious, deliberate rejection as seen by men self-identifying as “grass eating boys”, a somewhat derogatory term, and not caring about what others think of the way they live. No manifestos were mentioned.
What struck me though were the numbers—estimated at least 42 percent of men between 23 and 34 self-identify as grass eating boys. I post it here because it seems relevant to the perennial ERE retort of “what if everyone does it?” Maybe Japan will find out first?

C40

Post by C40 »

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting.
I am very confused by the strong correlation identified in this article of being EREish and not wanting to have sex. I don't get how the two are related. I wonder whether it has something to do with Japanese culture (that would make these men reject sex desire along with consumerism, or if it is just the way the others are reacting (the method of choice in Japan to vilify people). My guess is it's the latter, since the article also mentions Japan's current problems with low birth rates. I don't see how ERE behaviors alone could be interpreted as rejection of sex.. but I do know that whatever a peoples' biggest problem is, they can find ways to blame nearly anything for causing it.
Where in the US, if 60% of young men become ERE'ers, I'd guess the media would call them unpatriotic, would blame for causing the next financial crisis and for encouraging terrorist attacks.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Very interesting, and somewhat encouraging as well. It does'nt seen to have occured to the writers though its Japan's consumerism which may be to blame for the falling birth rate.
This article about South Korea, which is facing an even worse demographic timebomb with one of the lowest birthrates in the world, talks about how companies are been encouraged to finish work early at 19:00 on Wednesday, to encourage matchmaking and procreation. Yes, 7pm is apparently considered early in south korea.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 469532.stm

chilly

Post by chilly »

That is an interesting article. I wonder if the correlation with sex may related to the idea of dropping out in general. To go with the writers assumptions about lack of communication skills etc... it would be more of a giving up on sex rather than not wanting it. If you've make a conscious or subconscious decision to not pursue women or sex, it seems plausible that the 'keeping up with the jones' drive would also decrease - that underlying sense of competition. Since that's a big player in the financial aspects of one's life - directly or indirectly... I can see a possible connection.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Here is my two step procedure for giving up sex:
Step One: Stop breathing for 24 to 36 hours.
Step Two: No action required.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@ Chilly - Thats a very insightful post for me personally actualy. I've never had any kind of romantic/sexual relationship which is sort of unusual at 29. Although shyness and introvertness no doubt played a part, especially when I was younger, I've never really bothered to seek a relationship. It just seems like two much hassle and effort. For me, a relationship is like a corner office or new mercedes, something which is a vaguely nice thing to have but not something I've ever got the motivitation to seek. I think this is particularly an issue for men, who are the ones who usually have to initiate relationships.
I'm not suggesting relationships are a frivilous indulgence or are incompatible with ERE, just that for some people like myself its something I'm willing to drop out of, along with the whole consumerist, 9-5, 40 year pension plan lifestyle...

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

It may also be that as one gets older and more set/used to living alone (like me) the idea of the work needed for a relationship grows from a molehill to a mountain...or at least thats what it seems like.
More like plain old inertia.
But in my lifetime the idea of "no sex unless married" has given way to "Friends With Benefits"...or as some of the younger folks put it: The Booty Call.
So perhaps even the molehill is to much of a pain to climb and inertia settles in very early.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@ FrugalZen Thats definitely the case for some. The teenage/early twenties years I think are crucial for what path you take regarding relationships in the future. If you did'nt conquer the molehill then, it keeps growing into an unclimable mountain.

Stahlmann

Re: Grass Eating Boys in Japan

Post by Stahlmann »

it seems they're heavily ostracized in Japan (living in online caffes etc.).
there're idi.. not smart people who didn't fill their disability form in Scandinavia on 4chan clones.
on the other hand, you can receive neetbux for claiming that baldness affects your quality of life in UK.

also, the article has 10 yrs. interesting how the situation looks now (in percentages).

what a wonderful world.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

@Stahlmann
I saw a documentary series recently about Japan and it turned out that there is a huge percentage of adults without partners who haven't had sex in years.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Stahlmann wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:36 pm
on the other hand, you can receive neetbux for claiming that baldness affects your quality of life in UK.
Assuming 'neetbux' is some kind of welfare payment I don't think that is true...

@nomad - Did it touch on prostitution?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

I've seen advertisements saying "Reproduce!" in Russian where government pays 150k rubles for birthing a child.

A vow of celibacy (brahmacharya) is required for joining any respectable religious organisation in full force except if you're already married in which case you can join in the capacity of gruhastha or householder. This type of voluntary celibacy is accepted and even admired except perhaps by the parents.

An account with tax-exemption on deposit, interest and withdrawal can be opened in the name of a newborn. Accounts can be opened for 2 children in this manner with each parent as guardian to 1 child.
Another account on top of that can be opened with higher interest if it is a girl child for her education and marriage.