Where's the ERE Book?!?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Q

Post by Q »

Any ideas when your book will be out??

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Plenty of ideas here :)
First, I'll note that in the best of scientific traditions, things take 8 times longer than anticipated. That said, here's what needs to happen.
1) Edited proofs arrive at my doorstep (8/5).

2) I edit the manuscript and submit the manuscript (last time that took 2 weeks)

3) I receive the cover template (last time that took 1 day)

4) I send the cover template to the cover designer who makes some minor tweaks to the already finished design and send it back to me (she's pretty fast).

5) I submit the cover (that'll take 10 minutes).

6) The printer approves the package (last time it took 2 days, otherwise go back to step 4).

7) I order a second proof (10 minutes).

8) The proof is in the mail (last time that took a week).

9) If the proof looks good, I'll approve it (otherwise go back to step 2).

10) The book is for sale.
Normally, it takes around 12-18 months after the manuscript is in for the publisher to run the book out. I think I'll be able to do it somewhat faster than that. The first manuscript was finished in April/May.

Q

Post by Q »

I'll add it to my xmas list... only thing on there right now...

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE?????
(I could not resist asking this when I saw the topic "Where's the ERE Book).
Sorry

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

So you got a publisher?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I'm self-publishing through a Print-on-Demand service (createspace). That way I retain all rights. That way it will remain in print for years, I will avoid having to hype it, and it won't be taken off the shelves after a year or two. Also the author royalty is substantially higher than the usual 10%.
I did not want to spend 1+ year finding a publisher willing to take it. 4HWW was rejected 12 times and Atlas Shrugged went through 13 rejections. I was rejected once; then figured I wanted it published sooner rather than later and that I was going to do 99%+ of the marketing myself anyway. Doing the math, self-publishing made sense.

Sven

Post by Sven »

I am really looking forward to reading it! Will there be a e-book version or shipping service to overseas? (I am sorry to be selfish and started thinking about the European readers out there immediately :-))

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Sven - There will be a kindle version. I'm not sure how the distribution works yet. It will be possible to buy the book through amazon.com (don't know about amazon.de, amazon.fr, etc.). It should be possible to order the book internationally through the estore I'm setting up. It should also be possible to order it through your local book store. As for libraries, you probably have to do your own lobbying.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

:( 18 months? I'd be interested to see an article on your descision process on the publishing route... I'm glad there will be an ebook version, even if it is on the darn Kindle.
Here's a thread (I haven't read but the forum is great) about self publishing ebooks:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54309
I'll trade you $20 for a draft PDF :) And I'll throw in a solemn oath to never let other eyes see it!

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

Re: libraries, I suggest that it is the implied duty of all ERErs to request the book from all local libraries. I'll buy a hard copy for myself, preferably direct order from ERE; I want it autographed by the Cult Overlord. ;-)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

With PoD I can hopefully do it in under 6 months. I'd say early September if everything goes as planned (it hasn't really, so far).
It will be paperback only (242 pages at ~400 words per page). If everything goes well, I may publish it as a hardback using another printer. Alternatively, I could make some handbound hardbacks just for kicks.
I'm kinda hoping for some local library lobbying. I'm also trying to figure out if there's a way for people to act as distributors and make a buck in the process. I suspect you'd need to be able to charge sales tax for that to work.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I apologize for my own contribution to the delay in the book's publishing--I took an extra three weeks proofreading it than originally promised.
It's quite a deep, inspiring read--a sort of textbook for ERE, but with Jacob's voice and world view quite present. I'm as excited as anyone to read the final first edition.

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

Jacob,
I'm going to posit that it was exactly BECAUSE they were rejected time after time, that 4HWW and Atlas Shrugged became such bestsellers. Rejections ain't fun, but they force you to analyze or look from a different perspective and improve your book. If your book can't charm one publisher, how's it gonna charm five billion customers? After all, you do want the message of the book to catch on, right?
It's almost impossible to get the same kind of feedback from friends because they typically miss the radically different perspective or won't think critically enough.
So even if you plan to self-publish, you could use publishers as a feedback method.

-- Congratulations Jacob! We decided we'll publish your book!

-- Sorry guys, I have other plans! :D

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

Count me interested in a handbound hardback edition.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Me too Steve.
I want one in Leather Covering, with Egyptian binding, Gold inlay raised lettered Title, Serial Numbered First Edition, and personally signed by the Author. If available, a Walnut and Glass presentation case would be nice.
Let me know if there are any extra charges for the above. Will shipping and handling be free?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

YMOYL was self-published as was Chicken Soup For The Soul.

The feedback from the first publisher was "interesting, unique, but not broadly appealing".
I agree about the editing. Some editing is helpful.
However, I have realized that my interest and the interests of a big publisher is not necessarily aligned. Big publishers are mainly looking for blockbusters. Stuff that will sell well. This is how Tila Tequila is able to publish a book and charge more than I will. This is much like the movie industry or music industry.
I would not be willing to popularize the message to sell it. Rather I want to sell it so that it can become popular, eventually. Does that make sense? I want people to come to me in my writing. Not the other way around.
That is not to say I'm above outreach. I am working on a second book intended to be an easier read. [If you read the blog, you'll have no problems with book#1. Newcomers may though, thus book#2.]

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Steve & HSpencer - Hey, don't get me started. I've read several books on book binding. It's not as difficult as one might think---at least so claims the books.
Since I own all the rights, I could do special requests.
[Actually, initially I thought of DIY handbinding the entire publication for consistency. Then I realized that at roughly 15 minutes of work per book then if I sold 200 copies it would turn into a few weeks of full time gluing. Also the book would have been more expensive.]

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi Jabob,

I'm curious to know: why not an e-book that can be bought from your website?
What made you decide for the hardcopy to distribute?
Thanks

D

Rex

Post by Rex »

I'd be tempted in a more ornate version, too, though I think I'd go with a regular paperback version for an actual reader; if you do autograph them, may I suggest doing it the old fashioned way instead of an autopen or other such methods? It just isn't the same. :/

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

@Jacob: I'm glad to hear about a second, easier book because it means you're thinking of how to make things more broadly appealing.
In the easier book, I'd address - no, focus on:

- demonstrate with a visual tour that living in an RV, boat, etc, is feasible and fun, with case studies. Because, the standard first reaction of every normal human being is "living in a van? I'm not a tramp!" Show that it's cool rather than something to be ashamed of.

- get them inspired about what they can do with all the newfound time once they're financially independent. Again: case studies of a mom/dad/family, of a world traveller, of yourself, an elderly person who thought he could never retire, etc.