Favorite Pickled Ginger Recipes?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Salathor

Favorite Pickled Ginger Recipes?

Post by Salathor »

I love pickled ginger, and I would hoover that stuff up if I could find it cheap, with less packaging, and without preservatives (other than the pickling itself, obviously). Have you found any good and foolproof recipes for pickled ginger?

SavingWithBabies

Re: Favorite Pickled Ginger Recipes?

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Are you seeking Beni shoga (thin red strips of ginger -- guess this would be called julienned)? Or the style that often comes with sushi (scalloped? not sure what it's called) or something else?

I want to try making the first one (Beni shoga) but I read they use young ginger shoots and we don't have access to ginger plants. Some ginger actually started growing nubs on our window sill so maybe we can grow it inside? The ginger we buy from the store seems to be tougher than that used for Beni shoga so I haven't tried it yet. Plus the shape is not nearly as uniform.

Sorry, not much help but also interested as we can't buy it locally so we have to travel to buy it or ask visiting family to bring it (or mail order but it's expensive enough before shipping).

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Hm. I've actually never eaten sushi out (I'm not much of a fish guy). But I'm talking about the ultra-thinly-sliced white ginger that's spicy and a little sweet.

Something like in this recipe: https://www.elephantasticvegan.com/pickled-ginger/

But I was just asking to see if anybody had actually done it before I go online and try a bunch of random recipes. I have a hard time with cooking websites. They've always got so many ads that they make my 'scam' alarm go off (which might be a weird response, but their sites are EXACTLY the same as cheesy content farms).

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Well, I ended up making this pickled ginger recipe, choosing at random from the googled recommendations:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/pickled-ginger/

The first day I was pretty nervous actually. It smelled super vinegary and I thought I had messed it up. I let it sit for just 24 hours and it's, frankly, incredible. I gave some to my dad, who's a ginger fan, and he said it was the best pickled ginger he's ever had. I'm going to try eating a little at a time over the next few days to see how it changes over the course of time.

There will definitely be opportunities to make tweaks (I'd like a thinner mandolin, maybe more sugar/more salt early to strip out the ginger moisture, maybe more ginger and less vinegar, etc.), but overall I'm very pleased with how it came out and I'm super excited to have an inexpensive and chemical free pickled ginger source now.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Congrats and thanks for the inspiration, Salathor. I like this stuff too and, with my severe shellfish allergy, do not go out to sushi places (nor is it a takeout option).

Without noting the recipe you used, I searched using my recipe-finding method. This involves Google. If I see a food blogger who I hold in high regard (which I did not), I give more weight there. Then I look at the highest rated with the most reviews (i.e., 150 ratings with a 4.5 rating is more reliable than 3 ratings of 5.0 IMO). Next I drill down into the reviews; if many are just “Looks great, I can't wait to try this” with no action-based evaluation, I screen those out and reanalyze. Long story short, I would have used the same recipe as you.

I also like to suck on and chew a thin fresh slice too. It is not as tasty as pickled ginger, just a nice alternative to a mint or gum.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Well, let me know if you try it! I ended up making only 6.5 oz of ginger after I was done peeling (note to self--weight after peeling next time), and I used 1/2 cup of sugar. I boiled the ginger for 3 minutes, but I had used mature ginger rather than young (to keep the cost down, and because it's all I could find at the walking-distance grocery).