Bulk Ramen

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Salathor

Bulk Ramen

Post by Salathor »

So, my wife found a great recipe that used top ramen noodles and it was incredible. I would love to eat it more, but I don't like that they come in a plastic wrapper for each 3oz package. I've found some more 'bulk' packages of noodles but they are considerably more expensive. Have any of you guys ever found a place for bulk (1lb+) packages of ramen noodles that are priced comparably to the prepackaged stuff?

We have made ramen before by hand but it takes hours to stretch the noodles by hand. We don't have a pasta maker.

white belt

Re: Bulk Ramen

Post by white belt »

I have not but I would think your best bet would be to just make them yourself. Along with the environmental concerns, consider that ramen noodles only require ~3 ingredients and the processed ramen has 20+ ingredients. Processed ramen is also much higher in fat because the blocks are usually deep fried.

I bought a used Atlas Marcato 150 pasta maker on FB marketplace for $25. I haven’t made ramen yet but that’s my intention. See here for more info: viewtopic.php?p=244160#p244160

Ego

Post by Ego »

Our local Asian grocer (99 Ranch) has an isle where they sell restaurant supply sized items. There they have dried rice noodles and ramen in bulk. I prefer brown rice noodles which are rarely in stock and never in bulk so I buy the cellophane packages that look like this but brown.

I live next door to a famous sushi restaurant. For a few years they also owned the ramen shop down the street and would use the kitchen next door to do the prep and storage. They would get giant bags of fresh ramen noodles from their prepared food supplier. I would imagine you could buy them from a restaurant supply place but they would have a short shelf life.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Thanks guys. I'll check the local asian grocery and I'll also keep my eye out for a pasta maker. We like soba noodles too, so it would definitely get used.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Well, we borrowed a pasta machine from my brother to make ramen last night. Perfect! It came out incredible. I know some of you guys mentioned making a lot of it and then freezing it to preserve it. How did that work out?

OffBy2Error

Post by OffBy2Error »

I know you have already made it once, however I suggest watching the amusing youtube series of "Alex" making it. He is amusing with humor, but he explains what he does very well and why he does it, he does not intentionally make cooking mistakes.

Not sure if this works but the playlist is https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... nbqJcAfs4N Ideally that brings you to youtube channel "alex" with the playlist named "From instant Ramen addiction to instant ramen production". He actually dehydrates his mass produced ramen (in an amusing way). I would imagine rehydrating is faster than thawing and does not require freezer space, however do not know which method actually requires more energy overall. The series includes how to make noodles, the broth, and more thought about the pasta machine (including modifying it) than I would have expected.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

OffBy2Error wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:20 pm
That playlist link worked. Awesome, thanks! I'm definitely going to check it out.