A Jacob Mention

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
Alphaville

Re: A Jacob Mention

Post by Alphaville »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:53 am
@Alphaville:

Don’t leave angry. Everybody can come off in a manner they don’t intend on the internet. For instance, I was flaming mad at you for a hot minute, because I initially “heard” your comments to me on ella’s thread as variety of slut-shaming, but then I realized that it was likely miscommunication or missed communication.
what? no, girl--we've had our differences, but we've always treated each other as persons, and i think we've always made attempts to understand and not dismiss each other. we're different, but speaking for myself, i accept and celebrate your difference and innumerable quirks. they're what make you you. we're good afaic.

but yes, of course i am angry. im not however acting in knee jerk or irrational fashion. in my eyes this is an abusive pattern, it's not a one-off, and my statements will continue to be dismissed as "levels".

i'll be your friend if you wanna hang, write, whatever. pm me your anonymous/non-doxing details. im not planning to visit your part of the country any time soon, but who knows? maybe some day.

much love,

-jesús orman

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@white belt:

True, but in other lower energy/relatively higher population situations, a lot of humans were the serfs and a few humans were the lords. The word “husband” is derived from the concept of having enough independence/assets to be bound only to your own house. The word “family” originally referred to all residents in a household, inclusive of domestic servants. It’s difficult to see beyond the structures to which we’ve become accustomed unless/until you do something semi-crackhead-like such as entering into an Islamic marriage contract as a 21st century middle-aged American woman. The odd thing is that doing something like that can make all religions, including the one you grew up in, seem completely bizarre and all forms of marriage, including modern egalitarian, as inherently tainted with remnant of chattel law.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Alphaville:

Happy that we are good buddies still. Maybe you don’t grok Jacob because you have never been in long term relationship or employment situation with extremely introverted dominant type? You have to give that type “the gift of silence.*” The good thing about forum format is that you can babble at length and nobody has to go to the trouble of reading or responding if they don’t want to (and vice-versa) UNLESS you make it clear that you want/demand a response. Since this forum is full of INTJ’s , I kind of got used to it being like playing tennis against a wall a lot of the time, or throwing stones into the ocean, which is actually kind of relaxing.

Anyways, when an introverted dominant type offers up a set of instructions, you have to try your best to follow all the instructions without arguing before you ask for further clarification ELSE ->Grouchy. This might be harder for you because you are more verbally extroverted dominant type rather than more verbally extroverted switch type like me. So, for instance, you might be quicker to perceive and/or be insulted by condescending manner. IOW, I accept the reality that Jacob has like maybe 20 IQ points on me, and recognize the fact that upon rereading, I have never found any fault with “ERE” the book, except for a couple minor items like strength-training for women and wearing underwear until shredded ( maybe that was in blog?) , and he has gone to the trouble of setting up and maintaining this forum, so this is a realm over which he is Lord, where I just hope to learn stuff. I am perfectly free to create my own realms over which to very imperfectly Lord on the internet or in meat space, and sometimes I do.

*extroverted dominant types don’t like it when you give them “the gift of silence”, because they demand a response/attention. Because I am pretty balanced in extroversion/introversion and dominance/submission, I can grok both uncomfortable feelings.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 am
Happy that we are good buddies still. Maybe you don’t grok Jacob because you have never been in long term relationship or employment situation with extremely introverted dominant type?
my grad school advisor was a deep thinker/philosopher guy of the european tradition who had studied at the highest levels and made other people cry with his demands, but he was a good listener and never took me for an imbecile.

in other words he listened for comprehension before making enormous assumptions based on simplistic "levels," and so he heard fairly what i was saying. also he never got defensive about challenges to his ideas. in fact, the whole relationship started when i proved him wrong in class--he admitted his error, later took me aside, said what i was doing was a good thing, we started having coffee, etc. , i'd locate materials for him at the library, and so forth. yes he was higher on the hierachy but we ere equals as people.

anyway, i know i remind you of your little brother, but i'm not him, by which i mean, this isn't my first rodeo/i wasn't born yesterday/i know people/ i've been places (and your little brother has too, at this point, lol). at this age, i don't accept condescension in my social interactions, whether real or perceived.

in any case, yes, i appreciate all the work @jacob has done here, but he also must benefit from it or he would have discontinued, and i also can see that many others also contribute to his cause (me, i actively hunted spammers recently hahaha. oooh, big hunter, lmao. )

but really, a forum is a social thing, and while i like the book and some of the ideas and forum members etc, i am not happy with management at the personal/social level. which sometimes happens in spite of the best intentions: just not a match.

anyway i've made my case, it makes sense to me, i'm not trying to turn my back on a whole community of people--but this is not my community and i just need to bow out without dramas... however, people keep bringing up my name in public :lol:

happy to converse further with you, but let's please move this out of the forum... i don't want to be in the way of other interactions people need to have, and continue to generate friction. i gotta go... :D

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Goodbye.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

“Seppia” wrote: Being an 85 and thinking you’re an 80 has more chance of success in anything in life (including understanding ere) than being a 150 and thinking you’re a 180.

The latter are the ones that always end up self destructing/shooting themselves in the foot
I think that there is some truth to this observation, but it’s less that 150 often thinks they are 180, and more that 150 doesn’t have the power to design an entire generalized set of Legos, but is also bored at the prospect of just following the instructions towards one of the more obvious models which could be constructed. It’s more fun to fail forward at attempt to construct less obvious model. OTOH, for 80-120 construction of one of the more obvious models from the generalized set is appropriately challenging.

OTOOH, it might be more to do with personality type than IQ. The tragi-comic novel “Lake Success” by Gary Shteyngart features a protagonist who has much in common with Jacob in terms of being brilliant, and highly interested in finance and watch repair, but (warning: plot reveal to follow)his life cycle is much more of a rollercoaster. He creates a highly successful hedge fund, but then crashes and burns so hard through the course of this novel, he at one point ends up performing sexual favors at a truck stop in order to survive, but he still possesses the brains/skills/experience to start another successful hedge fund, so eventually he does.

Somewhere in the book or blog, Jacob does recognize that there are humans who function more like this. The generalized set which is ERE almost certainly does contain that which is necessary for functional model(s)creation by even easily bored up/down personality type humans with IQ 150, but...???