In the Land of the Security Junkie

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

In the Land of the Security Junkie

Post by Ego »

An interesting view of the world from a mental health professional. He perfectly outlines my outlook on life.

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_eberhar ... atastrophe

or here

https://youtu.be/43J7hD9I0jY

Sclass

Re: In the Land of the Security Junkie

Post by Sclass »

That was interesting. He had me till Covid. To quote my favorite mentor, “Sclass, it ain’t a problem up until the point that it is.”

I like what he says about stupid people getting bad results from their actions. It’s an interesting way of looking at losing. On one had I really don’t care why somebody gives me a bad result because it’s a bad result. On the other knowing why is part of a good self correcting system that tracks towards goodness. But yeah there are different kinds of smart and different kinds of suck.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Very interesting. This attitude is everywhere. People not wanting to get vaccinated because of 1 : 1,000,000 chance of dying. People striving for 2% or lower SWR because what if 10 things, each unlikely to happen on its own, all go wrong (lower returns AND climate catastrophy AND health condition AND higher taxes AND confiscation AND broker running away with their money AND...). Men afraid to be alone in a room/lift with a woman because what if she accuses him of something. Preppers. People sacrificing their 30's to save an extra 1M in case they need care home in their 90's. Not letting a child play outside because of germs. People who seek security too much will never feel secure enough. Embracing the unknown and trusting your future self to handle whatever shit life throws at you is the way forward.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Don’t lock yourself in and don’t let others do it to you.

ellarose24

Post by ellarose24 »

Conversely, you could argue that cynicism is an appropriate reaction to the world, "How we relate to our expectations of life"--the cynics would say that the problem was that you SHOULD have been prepared for the worst.

LOL at his thoughts on Covid. It sounds like Sweden learned the hard way that they had to do what the rest of the world did. The problem was never about mortality rate, jesus christ--haven't we had this discussion already? Go talk to a nurse, who by the way was arguing exactly what he was arguing in the beginning of covid, and now almost all have PTSD at rates that I doubt we will know until it's too late because of the fact that they were overworked with no time off and had to effectively choose which patients die.

Perhaps he is arguing what I've heard many people argue: old people aren't worth anything anyways and aren't worth sacrificing the economy for. Or as one person succinctly told me "Grandma's ready to meet Jesus." This shows me a breakdown in society not in government protections.

Why is a psychiatrist talking about how epidemiologists are likely just stupid. LOL at this entire talk.

This entire thing screams machismo alpha male to me. I will be first to admit I have very serious problems with requiring some semblance of safety, but I have also likely experienced events that are usually only designated to the margins of society.

In my opinion, the mental health problems are tied directly to: consumerism and being eternally online. Perhaps those lead to security junkies as our emotions are constantly filtered between ads and news 24/7--but that is a cause and effect. It isn't that millennial are coddled children, it's that they were raised in a system specifically made to make them feel like perpetual victims, because perpetual victims can do nothing but consume.

I'm all for shitting on the system, shitting on people for falling prey to that system seems like a way to boost your own ego. Especially from a psychiatrist. Perhaps he has compassion fatigue after dealing with the Emergency ER constantly.