Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
thrifty++

Re: Moving to another city

Post by thrifty++ »

Last edited by thrifty++ on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i see. i don’t understand, and i don’t really need to, but i see that it’s a complicated issue. so, how long do you have until you have to stay or go?

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Last edited by thrifty++ on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

okay great. then hurry up and read this book today :D

https://heathbrothers.com/books/decisive/

whatever you end up deciding, it will help you improve your decision-making methodology and make allowances for uncertainty, failure, “change of plans,” etc.

fantastic book really. and given your circumstance you should find it pretty enthralling, considering that chapter 1 is about a historic case of having to relocate for a job.

(same thing would apply for other big decisions like buying a house, getting surgery done, and so forth. there are many many many relatable cases in thie book)
Last edited by Alphaville on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

I... think you may be learning a lesson on how to make life-altering decisions.

You analyze it, you make a decision, and then you fucking stick with it. You don't go back over the Rubicon. In two years if it turns out moving was the wrong choice, you don't sit around wishing you hadn't moved, you figure out what your best option is from where you are.

An exception may apply if new facts arise that significantly change the calculus, such as a pay cut or significant change in responsibilities at the new job you weren't told about previously.

Most people get tired of big cities at some point in their lives. If you're moving before this is happening, consider yourself ahead.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

unemployable wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm
You analyze it, you make a decision, and then you fucking stick with it. You don't go back over the Rubicon.
i just watched 1917 this weekend. everyone here should, too :lol:

ps- i see your rubicon and raise you the charge of the light brigade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(keeping in mind i don’t know or understand the details of this transaction—talking only from the point of view of decision-making theory)
Last edited by Alphaville on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Last edited by thrifty++ on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Then aspire to embrace commitment. Live with agency. Own your choices in life!

As I mentioned, buying a house can be undone. What would be more efficacious to undo, the job transfer now or the job transfer later? All assuming you'd want to undo them in the first place when the time comes.

This board trades in overanalysis, so you're hardly alone here, although that's probably a topic for its own thread.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

thrifty++ wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm
@unemployable - problem is I have issues making decisions.
you probably lack a good method, which would explain the reticence.

also, you might be a p in a sea of js.
thrifty++ wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm
@alphaville that book looks very good. I will hunt it out
being more experimental than conventional, i’ve fucked up a lot in my life. impulsive decisions, blind commitments, “going with my gut” and confirmation bias. i fuck up a lot less since i read the book. now i decide with my brain, not my balls or my “intuition” (which is susceptible to cognitive biases.) have a system. it’s not perfect, but it’s a good one.

fastest delivery method is ebook, and *well worth the money*. since this seems to be an emergency, i’d say hurry up and get it today. you’re going to need time to process and put the ideas to work.