In Praise of Doing Nothing

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
Kriegsspiel

Re: In Praise of Doing Nothing

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I saw a video about dopamine detoxing a while ago, very interesting stuff. I've done it a few times since then and I think it really works as a way to re-baseline yourself. I'm sure the ancients would approve.

It reminded me of what the guy who wrote The Hungry Brain said about what people used to eat before the modern era; they'd eat a pretty monotonous diet that they weren't too excited about. Every once in a while they'd find some food that was really tasty and they'd happily gorge on it, then go back to monotonous eating-to-live.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@Kriegsspiel

In the past few months, I've deleted all social media accounts and severely limited to browsing the news to one website (Reuters). Slowly but surely...I've seen improvements in my attention span and overall anxiety levels. Still transitioning as I deal with the boredom sometimes described in various Dopamine Detox videos. These are summarized as withdrawal symptoms. Biggest benefit is I can read books now for much longer periods of time instead of stopping at 2/3 pages to go do something else (that something else was usually a higher dopamine activity).

The Hungry Brain - that is by Stephen Guyenet. Excellent book and one of my favorites. That book alone helped me reconcile my dieting strategy and I credit that book to helping me lose 15+ pounds the past few months. Mentioned in my journal. Also in the recommend reading section - I have a topic on it.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Hadn't encountered your mentions of that book but i'll be reading it...

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

ertyu

Post by ertyu »