Durable shoes

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
henrik

Re: Durable shoes

Post by henrik »

polaran wrote:What do all of you use for running shoes?
There's an earlier thread about this here

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

How about style and ere?
Has anyone found durable shoes in that kind https://goo.gl/images/nRcukV ?

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Stahlman - Those $$$$ Church's would last forever as long as you don't walk farther on sidewalk/asphalt than between the building door and the car door. You could have a cobbler glue a rubber sole underneath but that would void Church's resoling efforts. It would also be a bit like buying a Rolls Royce and then welding steel plates on the front bumper.

The strategy I've seen applied is that people use normal cheap sneakers or boots when going to and from work and then switch to their fancy leather-soled wingtips when they get inside.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

jacob wrote:@Stahlman - (*) Those $$$$ Church's would last forever as long as you don't walk farther on sidewalk/asphalt than between the building door and the car door. You could have a cobbler glue a rubber sole underneath but that would void Church's resoling efforts. It would also be a bit like buying a Rolls Royce and then welding steel plates on the front bumper.

(**) The strategy I've seen applied is that people use normal cheap sneakers or boots when going to and from work and then switch to their fancy leather-soled wingtips when they get inside.

(*) - Well, photo was example of desired style. I hoped that somebody created brand of them in which they chose to attain hardcore durability. I have not yet resigned from searchings :D . Anyway I will try trick from the next part of your post :mrgreen:

(**) - really :mrgreen: ?!
When do they change it?
Are there lockers room in corporate America?
Or just in toilet?
Pretty funny example of careerism.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

You just keep your business shoes under your desk at work. Switch shoes when you arrive. Switch again when you leave.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

jacob wrote:You just keep your business shoes under your desk at work. Switch shoes when you arrive. Switch again when you leave.
Simply as that, haha.
I thought you need to be more stealth in your office.

I have seen that also, but in this particular office people changed shoes to flip-flops :mrgreen:
Any thoughts about this brand?
In my country there is one shop of it.
I think people buy there just for ,,american dream" feeling.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

I bought a few pairs. I like them

The 952 : ~$140, 3000+ miles on tile and industrial smooth cement. Kinda hard insole, doesn't hug the heel so a blister might develop after 3-4 miles of non-stop walking. Still have them. Slick bottom so I used them stocking shelves.

The 608 : $ I don't remember, 6000+ miles on sidewalks and more. I expect another 1500-2000 before a hole develops at the toe creases. I've resoled them when the heel showed 1.5" strip of underlaying foam. The front part of the sole was +1/8" . They are a boot so they are heavy and with wool socks good to about 30°F.

Get the American non heritage boot and it should be a good deal. As for dress shoes, look elsewhere.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/the-l ... r-buy.html
and
http://www.hanwag.de/grunten

jacob's dream is fulfilled now! (they offer black color) :D
I am still looking for my fancy wing-tips (or something that shape: http://imgur.com/gallery/zA2eJ ), but I am aiming at durability so grunten boots are still an option (and they will be easier to get in EU).

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Toying with the idea of buying these now that my one of my office shoes have a worn sole: http://www.grenson.com/uk/dylan-mens-ox ... -sole.html

I have a similar, but high gloss pair I keep for best (from wedding), high gloss is not so great for daily office wear! These appear to be the duller kind. No mention of the kind of leather though, maybe I'll drop them an e-mail.

I do the desk swap thing because I wear clipless shoes for cycling.

Ego

Post by Ego »

vexed87 wrote:Toying with the idea of buying these now that my one of my office shoes have a worn sole: http://www.grenson.com/uk/dylan-mens-ox ... -sole.html.
Aw crap. Several years ago I found a pair of Grenson's wingtips at the swap meet. They looked good and were comfortable so I wore them for weddings, funerals, interviews and the odd night out. As you can see, I didn't take great care of them. For some odd reason I didn't do a good job of researching them. When you mentioned it, I thought.... hum that looks familiar... I better take a closer look. Yep, they are the Toynbee's. £400.00 :shock:

Damn you! Now I have to sell these. What am I going to wear for Christmas?!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

:shock: You don't have to sell them!

Unless you have some similar already? Nice find, in the US too!

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

How do you manage bad odour in long term use of your ,,investment" :D ?
This bugs me the most. I probably will buy these Hangwart.
But I am not convinced. I am afraid that it would be better to buy cheaper boots in nearby future and don't care about odour issue.

(this is serious question)

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Minimal BO in general in my case, but I have no idea how I do it unless it's from sweating like crazy pretty often (exercise). I eat enough garlic and onions that I should at least have bad breath.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Thicker socks changed daily keep odor-causing secretions from permeating footwear. Thinner socks can't absorb as much. Also, shuck your shoes whenever you can so your feet aren't confined as much.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Conventional wisdom is to put shoe trees (e.g. http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/shoe- ... SF604.html ) in your shoes immediately after you take the shoes off, and let a pair of shoes air dry at least one day between wearings. That probably necessitates at least two pairs of shoes and trees. For a while I wore the same leather shoes every day and used trees only overnight, and that seemed to work fine except for when it rained.

NPV

Post by NPV »

Has anyone researched whether there is truth to the common notion that if you alternate between two pairs they will serve longer (beyond the obvious arithmetic effect that two pairs will serve twice as long as one)? I did some Googling and there was nothing conclusive; reddit seems to believe it is just this doubling effect (if 1 pair serves for 3 years two will serve for 6 years) rather than any synergy ("if 1 pair serves for 3 years two will serve for 8 years"):
https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/co ... _in_a_row/

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I used to work in an OR and I was friendly with the surgeons. One of them was a podiatrist. He told me that the majority of foot injuries that require surgical intervention could be avoided by wearing shoes with as little heel as possible AND not wearing the same shoe 2 days in a row. I followed his advice and not only are my feet healthier and feel less fatigued at the end of the day (I stand all day); not wearing the same shoe consecutively has dramatically increased their lifespan. He also recommended that once the sole was worn, the sole or shoe should be replaced asap. The sole doesn't wear out evenly which causes your ankles to shift into bad position which affects posture which affects your back, etc.- you get the idea..

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 am
Necrothread...

Last year I was introduced to Georgia Boot Company's Romeos (slip-on low top boots) when I saw someone wearing them while wading/fishing. Looked into them, but decided they were too boot-like for office wear and not really suitable for summer wading/fishing shoes. However, now that I'm retired, no longer going to an office, and my current pair of Merrells failed, it suddenly made sense to try them. Same price as the Merrells, so little to lose and potentially a lot to gain, but it will be a few years before I know whether they outlast the Merrells.
One year later: the Romeos are holding up. Sole is not showing signs of wear, seams are not fraying, and the leather shows no sign of wearing through where my feet don't match any shoe shape. I've abused them with dirt and the finish has one deepish cut from a sharp rock or something. All indications are they are a better value than Merrells have ever been. Like all shoes, the fit has relaxed a little bit.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I visited web Skype using google search (logged with my data) (no google acc). Then I typed "drying norwegian welts" (mine are somehow int his type, outer side is leather). First result is this topic :o :o :o (I am in very diffrent place than normally).
I am near mountains. Don't have acess to car boot (ok, it was about smell, but seemed good for drying). It's raining outside. Central heating doesn't work (summer time). Is using hair dryer good idea? (the same for sleeping bag)

They won't probably last 18 years :lol:

Also severe (for me) blisters occured.

Emergency! Help wanted!