Durable shoes

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Gilberto de Piento

Re: Durable shoes

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I think it would be ok to dry the sleeping bag with a hair dryer as long as you don't get it too hot and melt it. That said, I think it will take a very long time. It usually takes a long time in a real dryer. Go slow and be careful. Can you just hang the bag up and wait? Do you have a fan to help it dry?

I think a hair dryer is going to be too hot for the boots. There are tools called "boot dryers" for this purpose but they are much cooler than a hair dryer. If you get the boots too hot it will damage them.

C40

Post by C40 »

If you dry boots with a direct heat source (like a hair dryer), it will shorten their life.

The way you're supposed to dry them is:

First:
- Clean them off
- Take out the insoles

Then: you can do some, or, I guess, all of these:
- Set them out in the sun
- Put something absorbent inside them (newspaper, towel, rice, silica gel, etc.)
- Use a fan to blow air in them

If it's raining outside, the best thing is probably to put paper towels or something absorbent inside them for an hour or so, (really stuff them in there), then if you have a fan, take those out and use the fan to blow air into the boots.

Hang up the sleeping bag to try. Blow it with the fan. If you have a clothes dryer, you can probably put it in there on the lowest heat setting. If the only thing you have is the blow dryer and you really want to use it, use it without the heat on, if possible, or on the lowest heat setting.

It's best if you can avoid getting these things soaked in the fist place.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/videos/ ... king-boots

https://bootmoodfoot.com/dry-wet-work-boots/

bryan

Post by bryan »

The sun is not a direct heat source? :lol:

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I now suffer from some kind of skin desquamation of my foot. Good news is that it isn't itchy. It started after 10 days I used my gear like Jesus. Unfortunately I wasn't able to float on puddles. OK, more seriously it's almost impossible not to get wet after walking 30 minutes plus in rainy, mountain environment (or maybe I don't know something).

My questions:
0. Has anyone obtained (outer) high dryness after walking in rain for 2-3 hours? I've achieved that only in rubbers. Is polishing such a big thing for leather made products?
1. I met guy who used alpine gore-tex shoes in not so high mountains and he recommended them (he used them in Alpes successfully). Has anyone considered synthetic gore-tex boots as viable alternative to leather based Norwegian welts (in terms of Holy Grail for their lovely feet)?
2. How do they manage dryness on long-term mountain hiking? Especially in below freezing temperatures. It's now beyond my comprehension. I've got some experience with (really) short-term climbing in winter, but I was able to put my boots in front of the fire place for the whole night.
3. I see something what looks like fungus on inner side of my Norwegian welts, on wooden (?!) insole part of the boot. Am I lost?
4. Musing on BIFL part of living out of the suitcase:
How about good shoes for sport? I think adding soccer to the our programme can make any gear wear fast. So let make soccer out of the question.
Last edited by Stahlmann on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Did you use mink oil or other water shield on the boots?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I think I polished them with some pasted, which guaranteed semi-level of water-proff.
I will try get oils mentioned in your post and review them :P

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

0) Polishing and greasing is a big thing. If water isn't pearling off as if on a goose, it's not good enough. Keep in mind that rubber never breathes and tex and polished leather don't breathe either when it's covered with water on the outside. In those cases, sweat eventually builds up from the inside. This is why people use wool socks to absorb it.
1) *Tex is a viable alternative, but I've heard the membrane breaks down after ~1000km. Dunno if this was just sales talk. Acknowledge that while rubber boots are water proof, the best you can hope with tex and well-polished leather is water resistance.
2) Gaiters. And not stepping in puddles. There's a trick for getting across water that's less than about 3-5cm deep. Run/walk fast so your foot is out before the water splashes back.
3) That does sound pretty bad. Do you live in a swamp?
4) No such thing as BIFL for sports. I look for cheap solutions on amazon ... shoes in ghastly colors are often discounted.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

jacob wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 pm
3) That does sound pretty bad. Do you live in a swamp?
Well, I made a mistake. I meant it looks like moldiness. I doesn't smell. Or I'm just overreactive, but it bugs me a little bit. I'll provide photos tomorrow.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Stahlmann wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm
I'll provide photos tomorrow.
OP did not deliver. :'( :cry:

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

fiby41 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm
Stahlmann wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm
I'll provide photos tomorrow.
OP did not deliver. :'( :cry:
Nope! 8-)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/153167562@N05/S9W1w2

So this is what I had seen when I tried to describe situation with my boots in August/September (after 7 days in mountain conditions, being a bit careless of dryness).

I went past buying 10ml bottle of magic formula for 10$. Found old school method based on formalin. Bought this substance. Applied to shoes. Just poured 100ml (40% solution of formalin) in every piece.

Carious odor is replaced by chemical scent of mentioned substance. Formalin didn't "annihilate" moldiness. I hoped it would do so.

So I still see this white/green efflorescence.

Any thoughts?

conwy

Post by conwy »

I can put in a good word for R.M. Williams boots (bought in Australia).

Owned a black pull-on pair for about 3-4 years. They're super-comfortable, tough and durable, non-slippery on wet ground, still look nice after a polishing.

The plain black pair I own are very versatile and I can easily wear them with a full suit all the way down to a jacket and tee.

I've travelled miles in them, and they're the only shoes I own apart from a pair of MUJI sneakers, for walking/jogging/exercise/casual.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Stahlman - Are you sure it's mold ... not something that just rubbed off the insole? You are using insoles, right? If not ... then something that rubbed off your socks .. or fell into the boots, or ...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

To get the mold out, scrub vigorously with something that won't scratch the surface like one of those plastic puff things for the shower (wear a mask and safety goggles!). Then rub the affected area with a solution of warm water and vinegar to remove the mold and other residue. If that doesn't work, rub them with water with a drop or two of bleach in it.

My son had problems with mold in his shoes. I'd clean them like I suggested above but it would come back. It was only him, so I assumed it was something from his soccer field or something on his feet that was introducing the mold into his shoes. We finally figured out how to prevent further growth -- after we cleaned all his shoes again, he placed a new dryer sheet into each one religiously after he took them off. He never had a problem after that. Make sure you use ones with formaldehyde like Bounce, Gain, etc. (not the 'natural' ones -- they won't work). I'd also suggest adding vinegar when washing your socks.

BWND

Post by BWND »

The Jacob boot post was rotated round not so long ago on the main blog. Hanwag must have read it at some point as these bad boys are now available in black :lol:

https://www.hanwag.com/shop/hanwag-grun ... 7761283378

I love the browns myself. I think I'll invest in some serious boots when my cheapos fall apart.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

George the original one wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:11 pm
Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 am
Necrothread...

Last year I was introduced to Georgia Boot Company's Romeos (slip-on low top boots) when I saw someone wearing them while wading/fishing. Looked into them, but decided they were too boot-like for office wear and not really suitable for summer wading/fishing shoes. However, now that I'm retired, no longer going to an office, and my current pair of Merrells failed, it suddenly made sense to try them. Same price as the Merrells, so little to lose and potentially a lot to gain, but it will be a few years before I know whether they outlast the Merrells.
One year later: the Romeos are holding up. Sole is not showing signs of wear, seams are not fraying, and the leather shows no sign of wearing through where my feet don't match any shoe shape. I've abused them with dirt and the finish has one deepish cut from a sharp rock or something. All indications are they are a better value than Merrells have ever been. Like all shoes, the fit has relaxed a little bit.

So how are these after 2+ years? I figure you are in the garden as much as I am. How are these for letting your foot breath while doing physical work?

George the original one

cmonkey wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:30 pm
So how are these after 2+ years? I figure you are in the garden as much as I am. How are these for letting your foot breath while doing physical work?
Still going strong and I've been abusing them by not keeping up with waterproofing and cleaning. Plenty of tread left for a couple more years. No thin spots in the leather uppers yet. The binding has not worn out anywhere. They do stretch, maybe a half size larger now, but a thick sock can take care of the slack. I've been thinking about a second pair now so I'm not without them should something happen to this pair.

Breathing... hmm, I don't notice a problem, but then I don't usually notice that with any shoes unless they're really horrid. I usually slip off shoes when I get in the house.

One downside is the lug sole tracks in extra grass clippings and mud. Wife complains about extra sweeping from tracking dirt into the house. I complain about the grass clippings that need vacuuming out of the cars.

George the original one

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 am
Still going strong and I've been abusing them by not keeping up with waterproofing and cleaning. Plenty of tread left for a couple more years. No thin spots in the leather uppers yet. The binding has not worn out anywhere. They do stretch, maybe a half size larger now, but a thick sock can take care of the slack. I've been thinking about a second pair now so I'm not without them should something happen to this pair.

Breathing... hmm, I don't notice a problem, but then I don't usually notice that with any shoes unless they're really horrid. I usually slip off shoes when I get in the house.

One downside is the lug sole tracks in extra grass clippings and mud. Wife complains about extra sweeping from tracking dirt into the house. I complain about the grass clippings that need vacuuming out of the cars.
2019 update. I'm buying two new pairs of the Georgia Boot Company's Romeos. My quirky right foot, the one with a large bunion, has caused the leather to crack and I'll probably wear through pretty soon. The rubber soles have continued to hold up. So lifespan is easily double what I was getting with Merrell shoes.

mferson

Post by mferson »

I like wearing my Dr. Martens Combs. They are very comfy and light in weight.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Anyone tried Thursday Boots? They're selling Goodyear welt boots under $200.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Found a pair of Goodyear welted and soled, US made Red Wing boots in my size (11.5 or 12) this morning for $5.

Let's see if I can bring them back to life.