Which Lifestyle Problems Can You Not Solve?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Nomad

Which Lifestyle Problems Can You Not Solve?

Post by Nomad »

I've noticed that generally speaking, the mindset of someone who sorts out their finances and the attention required to become FI generally spills over into other aspects of life. For me personally, I had my career sorted, then my finance down, also healthy eating and exercise is very much there.
This also improves many issues to do with psychology and stress so I'm a pretty balanced individual.

I am expecting that other FI'ers are pretty similar but are there aspects of life that elude them?

Jean

Re: Which Lifestyle Problems Can You Not Solve?

Post by Jean »

Walking more than a few day without clean underwears is still painful to me, which cripples my emergency autonomy.
Stitches on underwear make them unconfortable, so i'm dépendant on the market.

onewayfamily

Post by onewayfamily »

I agree with the premise of your post @Nomad, and have found similar results in my life as well.
Some areas that elude me at the point are:
- too many interests; find it hard to focus or spend enough time of the big goals I have, due to many competing interests and sources of information that I want to consume and think about
- maintaining a tidy household (we have 3 kids aged 2-6, so partially excusable, but still not ideal)
- not getting into silly arguments with my better half

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

In general terms, one could have the sort of things you listed mastered, but still lack ability in caring for others, aesthetic appreciation, and/or having fun.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

@OP
as Mr 2 Ideas, I would suggest:
- spreading the gospel of FI
- fighting for global communism
or somthing what's biger than you/your closer family unit.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Being able to evaluate and discriminate between goals in the absence of some guiding ideology. Is it better to learn to play guitar well, learn to draw well, or learn to accept being mediocre at both?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

boogaloo bois have ruined hawaiian shirts

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

basuragomi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 am
Being able to evaluate and discriminate between goals in the absence of some guiding ideology. Is it better to learn to play guitar well, learn to draw well, or learn to accept being mediocre at both?
doesn't one option just "vibe" better? or is that just me being an N

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

That's just kicking the can down the road. What happens when you can train yourself to prefer one option over the other?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

basuragomi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:19 am
That's just kicking the can down the road. What happens when you can train yourself to prefer one option over the other?
wow, that scenario is almost unfathomable to this here bundle of impulses (N also).

absent ideology... maybe apply utilitarian calculus somehow? that still would require a hierarchy of values, just more abstracted.

maybe widen the panorama... beyond the individual practice, guitar can lead to public performance, drawing can lead to gallery show.

guitar could get you playing with others, drawing is a great excuse to get away from others :lol:

is there any option you’d love/hate more?

i don’t know, it’s tough for me to grasp that way... i’m more kantian aprioris than programmable tabula rasa.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

basuragomi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:19 am
train yourself to prefer one option over the other?
HOW.

this is a real question. i would have so much fewer problems in life if i could do this. i think it was you who wrote out a thing about exercise, wasn't it? is it the same idea?

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

I don't feel like discussing personal problems at the moment, and it appears no one else does either.

That said, it is far more common to find a better way to deal with problems than eliminate them entirely. When you can that's great.
Last edited by Dream of Freedom on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CS

Post by CS »

As an INTJ, I find my biggest problem is attending to my sensory needs in a timely fashion. Like making meals (I kid you not). Often, I'd rather skip the food than have to stop what I'm doing. Which in the long run is not helpful.

So my approach so far is limiting my responsibilities like this as far as a I can (no house, etc) and then putting the tasks on the schedule. Like a little kid. "Fold your clothes and put them away. Eat lunch."

I'm enjoying the Objective Personality youtube videos related to this. It is both mortifying and reassuring to see how normal that is for someone like me. And I need to deal with it, lol!

I'm not sure if this is what the OP intended. This, for me, is not a one and done but an ongoing challenge.

ThriftyRob

Post by ThriftyRob »

Jean wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:34 am
Walking more than a few day without clean underwears is still painful to me, which cripples my emergency autonomy.
Stitches on underwear make them unconfortable, so i'm dépendant on the market.
It's a market solution, however, the seamless underwear made by GIIN, probably delivers what you're looking for. That said, it's not cheap.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:11 pm
I don't feel like discussing personal problems at the moment, and it appears no one else is either.
i have a real “lifestyle” problem in that i’d like to live in a HCOL area that’s not conducive to ERE. the obvious solution would be to make megamillions to match the cost, but that’s not so easily done.

but that’s really not important.

important are serious existential problems that are not mere “lifestyle” stuff, and can’t be avoided. problems like...

-the perpetual suffering of the natural world

-being part of an ape species that thinks too highly of itself

-the inevitability of old age, sickness, and death... of loved ones

and various other incurable unsolvables impossible to hide from, and that one has to learn to live with/tolerate/ and with some great luck perhaps transcend (doubtful)

too many things one doesn’t know, except that there is no santa claus.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Neighbors’ barking dogs. Everyone on my block has a dog. Two of them don’t bark. The other six or seven do. The one neighbor kicks the dog when it barks :evil:. Other than the dog kicker the actual neighbors themselves aren’t too bad.

I didn’t have this problem when I was a mile and a half from my nearest neighbors. I had a whole different set of problems snowdrifts taller than me and all sorts of predators in the chicken house.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

I'm also in the situation of having a lot of different interests and poor ability to focus on one for a long time. So I hop between different passing fancies and learn a bit about each but rarely manage to get to know any of the topics at an in depth level. This is probably one of the reasons why despite being great at saving money, I still don't earn much of it. I can think of plenty of business ideas but always seem to get distracted before I have a sustainable number of customers. And I get bored and/or stressed out with conventional jobs that I try after just months, usually.

I am an INFP.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

@bookL when I was in my teens/twenties I thought this was a character flaw, all this hopping between interests and "never finishing anything".
Now with 40 I see that being a person with very diverse interests and the ability to quickly learn stuff and get at least passable competent in a short time with most things is a true asset.
Do I make much money? No. Do I need much money? Also no. Throw me in any situation and I'll make something of it, no problem!
Check out https://puttylike.com/ to find likeminded people and further information. It's a great site and community.

Jean

Post by Jean »

ThriftyRob wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm
It's a market solution, however, the seamless underwear made by GIIN, probably delivers what you're looking for. That said, it's not cheap.
They still wear and require to be stiched after a while.
Those stich are the one making the underwear uncomfortable. This turn underwears into unrepairable items. I just realised I could turn old t-shirts into underwear.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

you can and there are tutorials on youtube. i was just looking into it because old t-shirts can be found in second hand stores for 50 euro cents a piece while an actual finished piece of underwear costs 2-3 euro.

(i'm not wearing a second hand pair of boxers, sue me :lol:)