Which Lifestyle Problems Can You Not Solve?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
horsewoman

Re: Which Lifestyle Problems Can You Not Solve?

Post by horsewoman »

@Jean - one can indeed turn old T-Shirts into underwear, but don't use too old jersey (--> T-shirt material). You will have to have some seams, at least at the sides - often washed jersey does not hold stitches well. The fabric rips very easily at the seams, or rather at the holes the needle makes. It is very frustrating to make some effort with garment construction, only to have it rip when pulled on the first time (been there, done that!).

EricaR

Post by EricaR »

Addiction to fatty/deep fried food.. I'm cholesterol level is very higher than the standard level for my age. I've been alarmingly advised not to eat meat,eggs and fatty/deep fried food. But I can't help eating those food. This is the most bothersome lifestyle problems I cannot Solve. I'm eating not for Hungry but for happiness.. That's why I can't stop it..Enjoying various food is my hobby

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Jean wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:34 am
Walking more than a few day without clean underwears...
Go commando? If you don't wear underwear then underwear can't hurt you.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Alphaville has a good answer. I'll add a few things:
* I can't seem to escape some of the mistakes of my past.
* I like my family but they come with some issues.
* I am a good candidate for being carless but I still can't give up the car.
* I enjoy living in a relatively expensive area, though I would be willing to try something else.
* I have a desire to "win the game" by having a lot of money and being able to live the good life with various types of consumption (still moderate consumption by most standards). This is partly about comparison to peers, partly about being able to have experiences I really want without thinking about the cost, and partly about an impulse to win a game in a totally overwhelming, unquestionable way (I think MMM wrote about this somewhere with an analogy of playing Command & Conquer or a similar game).

flying_pan

Post by flying_pan »

EricaR wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:09 am
Addiction to fatty/deep fried food.. I'm cholesterol level is very higher than the standard level for my age. I've been alarmingly advised not to eat meat,eggs and fatty/deep fried food. But I can't help eating those food. This is the most bothersome lifestyle problems I cannot Solve. I'm eating not for Hungry but for happiness.. That's why I can't stop it..Enjoying various food is my hobby
I am pretty sure people already gave you that advice, but have you tried to cook various recipes without these products? (mostly vegan cuisine suits your description).

Do it as a challenge, for some time, like couple of weeks, and then you can get back – even if you switch back completely, there is a chance you'll enrich your diet after finding something new you like.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

My relationship with my parents. There's only so far you can get when one party's priority is relationship and the other party's priority is obedience. And avoiding introspection at all costs.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I have a lot of personal shortcomings. Brainwashed into being an engineer I tend to recognize that coming up with a solution is one thing, successfully implementing the solution is another. Consistency across a breadth of lifestyle goals is not something I'm great at. Periodically I notice I'm falling short in some areas then when I shift focus to address those at the expense of other areas.

I've learned the lifestyle problems I cannot solve are those of other people. I can see potential solutions, but I can't make the other person see them. Over the last say 5 years I've learned that anything can be turned into a religion that the practitioner will adhere to on faith alone, and to question it, or even glance an an alternative, is heresy. Once someone recites a creed enough times reaching them can be extraordinarily difficult. Some might be familiar with the saga of my dad vs. my deadbeat nephew. It took the miraculous appearance of an outside "prophet" to jar him into seeing with clear eyes.

I'm sure I'm not immune to the phenomenon, but by definition I can't see it. And I guess I'm not the type of person people naturally feel the compulsion to try to save from himself. At least on a personal level. Politicians often volunteer to save us from ourselves--for a price.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

• That I'm like 85% there and can no longer project enough of an air of seriousness/commitment to get that extra 15% via work and that nothing I try with my investments gets me closer either
  • That the older I get, the more misanthropic I am. People suck. Including relatives... especially relatives.
  • That I'd like to live in a lot of places for short periods, but nowhere permanently. Frequent moves take time, effort and monetary costs and short-term rentals are almost always more expensive than long-term. A partial solution is to own a place, live there for 3-4 months and rent out the rest of the year, but it's not a perfect answer (see previous point).

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Basic chores are boring and I don't like doing them, but I want the products of that labor: clean laundry, tidy house, tasty healthy meals (cooking), toned body (exercise). I could try to web of goals some things-- like exercise with friends-- but keeping up those more complex routines are energy-draining and time-inefficient. I am also a pretty low-energy person in general, so making sure my routines are in alignment with my natural cadence is something I have to think about. Often the answer I come to is either 1. deal with suboptimal outcomes (my house is so dusty) or 2. outsource labor.