What do use for a cell phone?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
classical_Liberal

Re: What do use for a cell phone?

Post by classical_Liberal »

I'm using an Iphone SE as well. I got it used off Ebay for a little over $100 a couple of years ago. I really like the size, it's small enough to never get in the way, and the smaller screen size discourages too much app/internet usage. I can quickly check something out, but it's really too small to use as a tablet. I've found myself much less glued to my phone as a result. Using it more as a tool than a distraction, which is what I want.

Mint mobile gives me 4gb month and hotspot usage. The hotspot is important to me and a big reason I went with mint. In total it runs less than $200 a year. Although the service network is questionable. Coming from a verizon based service previously, it was very noticeable when you get anywhere rural. So if that's an issue, buyer beware.

cheese

Post by cheese »

I switched from a bloated Verizon family-plan to Republic Wireless back in 2014 when it was making its rounds on all of the PF blogs. Back then it was $10/month (+ location dependent taxes) for unlimited talk/txt so I'm grandfathered in at somewhat less than their current rate of $15/month. I had to ditch my ancient flip phone for a new smartphone* that was compatible with their network but I've had it for almost 6 years now and expect it to continue working for the foreseeable future so the monthly cost has been rather low. I forget exactly how much I paid for the phone but it was <$200 and you could probably find a used phone for cheaper. Before switching providers I was paying $35/month for cell service so even buying new I broke even in ~6 months.

*2nd gen Moto G, also ancient now...

You can pay extra for data but since I have WiFi access at home, work, and 95% of the places I go (and since I'm essentially glued to a PC or laptop 24/7 in any case), I found that a data plan would be somewhat redundant for me. I also don't tend to use my phone for anything other than phone calls and the occasional text.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Moto G6 Plus - Android phone with 64 GB and 128 GB memory card.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

When I left Megacorp in 2018 they took my laptop away but let me keep my phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and was less than 2 months old when I left =D

Currently on an unlimited Talk/Text/Data(15GB cap on high speed) plan that's $8/month with no contract here in Poland.

My wife uses my old personal 2016 Samsung Galaxy S7 on the same plan I have.

LookingInward

Post by LookingInward »

I echo what some people have said about their smartphones. It has so much utility packed into one inexpensive device that I honestly don't think its worth it for me to have a dumb phone + other things.

I have a Samsung S4. Bought it used + new battery for 75€ early this year. If it lasts 2 years than it will have been cheaper than my last phone which was bought new.
The S4 does everything I need plus I installed a deGoogled OS (called LineageOS or LOS) on it that is quite up to date.

If I were to go back maybe I would buy one of the models supported by GrapheneOS. More expensive but the OS is more robust than LOS.