Now that I'm done with Masters, time for a cheap road-trip out west paid for by government hand-out?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
classical_Liberal

Re: Now that I'm done with Masters, time for a cheap road-trip out west paid for by government hand-out?

Post by classical_Liberal »

@THF
If what you want to do is camp and see the wilderness, I think COVID might actually have a positive impact on such a trip. Waaay less people I bet, particularly at more popular National Parks that are normally parking lots. At least as long as shelter in place ordrs are lifted in the states you wanna go. Whether or not the camping, or even visitation will be open in State/NP's... It depends, but usually there is forest land/BLM land around theses places with free dispersed or much cheaper forest land campgrounds. Although, from what I've read, it seems like at least entrance/trail heads to most of the NPs will mostly be open soon, if not already. I second freecamsites.net, it's helped me alot in areas I'm not familiar with. Get an annual national parks pass to save yourself a ton of cash.

As far as choosing a city, I agree with others, now is not the time to truly get the vibe of an area. So if that is the main purpose (vs camping wilderness) then now is a bad time.

I also agree that a month is not nearly as much time as you think on a road trip. Even just going from Phoenix north. I could easily spend a month just in NM/AZ and still miss a bunch of cool stuff (actually I have). What's your hurry? Why not take the whole summer? Spend 3-4K and buy an old corolla or prius, then sell it when your done. If you buy something make sure its something you can convert into a sleepable bed arrangement. Then you can crash wherever you want without a tent if need be.

PS, I'm heading to the Black Hills SD this weekend, I'll post on here how open and busy everything seems to be.

TopHatFox

Re: Now that I'm done with Masters, time for a cheap road-trip out west paid for by government hand-out?

Post by TopHatFox »

I don't know, Corona-chan seems like a scam. ^_^

I dug through a million US census maps and came to a list of key cities/towns to visit in the ~Mountain States. From South to North:

1. AZ: Tucson
2. AZ: Phoenix
2. AZ: Flagstaff
3. AZ: Prescott
4. UT: St. George
5. UT: Moab
6. UT: SLC
7. UT: Ogden
8. UT: Logan
9. NV: Carson City
10. NV: Las Vegas
11. NV: Henderson
12. CO: Grand Junction
13. CO: Durango
14. CO: Colorado Springs
15. CO: Denver
16. CO: Fort Collins
17. CO: Boulder
18. WY: No towns pique my interest, but pretty parks
19. ID: Coeur d'Alene
20. WA: Spokane
21. MT: Missoula
22. MT: Helena
23. MT: Butte
24. MT: Bozeman
25. SD: Rapid City

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

In the UK people who have tried to visit the less populated beauty spots and parks during our lockdown (national here so not the same as yours) have encountered local vigilantes who slash tires and leave unsavory notes to tell them to 'go home'. This has happened even to people who have second homes in those areas. The police are vigilent in turning people away who don't normally live there.

Given all I have read you past journal posts you may like wilderness, but you appear to be someone who is something of an extrovert. If the idea of meeting new people and getting _really_ friendly with them is any part of this travel plan then now would not seem to be the best timing. But you may be thinking June/July rather than right now?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

TopHatFox wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:04 am
saving-10-years wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:04 am
visit the less populated beauty spots and parks during our lockdown (national here so not the same as yours) have encountered local vigilantes who slash tires and leave unsavory notes to tell them to 'go home'.
Sometimes you reap what you sow.

C40

Post by C40 »

TopHatFox wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:04 am
Don't bring the "scam" home to your parents.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

It should also be noted that most of the parks in the region you are interested are closed. All NPS area in AZ, MT (Montana. This is what I assume you mean by MO the abbreviation is MT) and WY are closed to public access, CO and UT are either closed or severely limited. So even as a solely a wilderness trip you will be limited to BLM/forest service land (if it is open, I haven't checked).

Much of the urban centers west of the Mississippi have a whole different perspective on this virus than that of Florida. Over a dozen people (including those that live in the same areas) have told you it's not the right time. If you are concerned about spending your money practically, this doesn't seem like a good use.

ZAFCorrection

Post by ZAFCorrection »

Whether or not people are overreacting, it's incontrovertibly true that a virus is passing around which can cause pretty good flu symptoms and for which almost no one has any immunity. The other basic fact is, right or wrong, a lot of people are paranoid about cooties right now and will get pretty aggressive legally and illegally with people they thing are potentially infected. NBD in an abstract sense doesn't mean your life isn't going to suck dick for awhile if you catch this on the road.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Coincidentally, there's a breaking news story that is relevant.
A woman who illegally entered Yellowstone National Park fell into a hot spring while taking pictures and suffered burns.

The woman, who was not identified, entered the national park that is closed due to the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1205976

Frita

Post by Frita »

@Dream of Freedom
People getting boiled to death (and gorged by buffalo) happens every year. They just think it’s not that hot, despite being fenced off and posted warnings. This occurs whether the park is open or not.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

@Frita
That may be, but our fox friend has a tendency to be dismissive of other's concerns. The covid scam comment is only the latest example. I could imagine him going in figuring if he gets caught that they would just tell him to leave.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I think most mindless travel is a complete waste of resources. In this case, you want to visit a bunch of places for less than a day each that are under some varying degree of lockdown so that you can choose one to move to?

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

https://www.zippia.com/geologist-jobs/best-states/

Not sure most of your stops are really that geology heavy either.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@Dream of Freedom
Some people have to learn through direct experience even after asking for others’ input. (I tend to be this way myself. As I age, I am slowly getting less stubborn.)