Is doing your own car mechanics "normal"?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Alphaville

Re: Is doing your own car mechanics "normal"?

Post by Alphaville »

i don’t know about stats, but i love driving manual. very tight, very controlled, none of the delay and slow reaction you get in automatics. you can drive econo mode, you can drive sporty, it’s up to you. it’s also definitely more focused and aware, which is a big plus for safety for me, as most accidents happen due to distraction, eg hamburger eating while texting.

i was looking at compact hatchbacks for fun the other day, and honda fits and toyota yarises both have manual models, and i think some kias too? euro cars also often come in manual, though i wouldn’t recommend due to price of parts & service.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Yes....I've done spark plugs, cabin air filters, gasket replacements, oil change, anti-freeze change, brakes, rotors, etc. I try to be hands on as possible with car work as I don't trust most mechanics to charge you and arm and a leg. Its worth the labor to learn yourself.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Cabin air filter, that one was the toughest :p

That’s really cool that you did the rotors, I’ve been scared to jack the car up thus far, mostly cause my parent’s HOA writes you up whenever you work on your car, and cause getting squished by a car doesn’t sound fun :evil:

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@TopHatFox

Most maintenance is the basics after-all. Brushing your teeth is cheap, quick, and you just have to do it everyday but neglect it and you're looking at expensive root canals, losing teeth, or you will just have to get your teeth replaced (or not get any new teeth). Same with a car.

That is what the jack stands are for in regards to feel of getting crushed. Also if you ever jack up the fronts and not the backs, always put some wooden blocks or something behind the back tires; even if you're on a seemingly flat surface - not worth the chance.

Never been in danger from working on a car except the one time I replaced a fuel pump in an old Camaro. I accidentally let these two wires touch each other and it created a spark that led to a fire. Had a lot of funny looks that day as I was working on this car in a shop.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I've done quite a bit over the years.

Belts
Water pumps
Oil changes
Thermostats
O2 sensors
Body work
Hoses
Batteries
Coolant flush
PCV valves
AC charging
Air filters
Bulbs
Probably a few other things

It's gotten easier over time because of confidence and YouTube.