Apartment homesteading?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
ducknald_don

Re: Apartment homesteading?

Post by ducknald_don »

I'm sure I read somewhere that people tend to keep them under their beds because they can generate a reasonable amount of heat.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ducknald_don wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:48 pm
I'm sure I read somewhere that people tend to keep them under their beds because they can generate a reasonable amount of heat.
and they eat their own poops too! :lol:

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

sssssssso... i think i'll raise my worms in polypro bags for starters. they're somewhat breathable, can be easily opened or closed, can be placed on a plant saucer or tray to catch excess effluent... no sweat.

i'll see about "bins" later.

lmao

white belt

Post by white belt »

My only concern with using those bags would be the worm bedding drying out. It may not be as as much of an issue if you have a lot of moisture retaining material (dirt, cardboard, etc) in combination with relatively wet food scraps.

The worms will let you know if conditions are amiss because they will en masse attempt to escape. Ideally you can set up your system in such a way where you make it harder for the worms to escape so you will catch the first few trailblazers in time to correct conditions to save the rest of the herd.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

they are deep in the bag right now, where it's mucky, with a bunch of straw and stuff. it's not an ikea bag at the moment, it's more like something to carry 25lb potatoes or something, narrower but taller. it seeps at the bottom, im sure it breathes, but it's not ultrapermeable.

i mean, purchased worms come in a similar type of bag: https://unclejimswormfarm.com/product/c ... ing-worms/

and if you look at some commercial worm farms it's basically a gunny sack /cloth bag with a frame to bamboozle the unwary: https://unclejimswormfarm.com/product/i ... -worm-bag/
i mean, seems very well stitched, but it's basically canvas? actually no, it says "nylon oxford". so synthetic as well.

the ikea bag at 19 gal is same size as a plastic bin but can be folded away etc.plus i have extras. i'll play by ear...

and yeah i feed them wet stuff. my main veg waste is coffee and tea.

added bedding (eg paper towels) also goes in damp,p (foret soaked then reasonably squeezed)

how are your worms doing? my wife just started talking to ours :lol:

white belt

Post by white belt »

Alphaville wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:28 pm
how are your worms doing? my wife just started talking to ours :lol:
My worms are doing fine. The only time they have issues is if I go a week without feeding them or the bedding gets too dry, so I pretty much feed them once a week and sometimes mist them in between feedings. I’m feeding them primarily banana peels and egg shells, with the occasional expired spinach. I suspect the moisture content of all of those are relatively low. I also add some damp carbon material like egg cartons or paper every feeding or 2.

My projects are on a bit of a hiatus but I plan on picking things back up this summer when I’m established in my new area. I’d like to get microgreens going on a constant rotation and establish a proof of concept for mushrooms.

I also have the Asian watermeal (Wolffia arrhiza) growing in a container on my windowsill, but I haven’t figured out how it quite fits into the system yet. I’d need to scale it up a lot to get any useful yield.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@wb

nice! i think i have the opposite problem--too wet! so started to add used paper towels, that sort of thing, in dry form (we buy the brown hippy kind, no bleach etc).

so you planning to move the worms with you? or start from scratch after moving?

i've put microgreens on hold for a bit. instead focusing on bicycles right now, since post-vaccine we'll circulate again: lots of repairs, part swaps, a new build in the works, etc., takes up all of my workbench

(also i'm getting cheap arugula at trader joe's, which reduces the incentive to grow salad. but i'll get to it eventually.)

the water lentil, yeah, needs a pond or something,

yeast i think holds more promise at kitchen scale. and not exactly for nutrition, but i'm doing a gallon of hard apple cider with champagne yeast: looks promising. but of course i plan to eat the lees, not just drink the booze.