Anyone prepping for corona?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
George the original one

Re: Anyone prepping for corona?

Post by George the original one »

I have several upcoming trips for national-level autocross that are outside my normal range: Las Vegas, Fontana, and Crows Landing. Been working on washing my hands more frequently and will probably be less social during the trips. I have an enormous desire to enjoy Caesar's Palace buffet while in Vegas, but am re-thinking the wisdom of it.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I would think toilet paper and chocolate would provide better currency in that area.
Seems like having sex with random strangers in exchange for anything would defeat the whole purpose of a quarantine. Yuck! You never know where that thang has been!!

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

We stocked up on staples but need to get more frozen veggies and I suppose fruit as well. Need to find some shelf-stable milks. DH always has a huge supply of TP on hand, no problem there. Got some extra children's medicines. Used to have some extra prescription steroids and antibiotics stashed away, but now only anti-nausea meds.

Friends of mine have been canceling travel left and right. Domestic and international. I guess I'm glad our spring break plans were already the default staycation. Hoping the warming weather will help to beat this thing back in the states...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:22 pm
A 2-3 week quarantine sounds fabulous to me...catch up on my reading and Netflix queue,
May I suggest the miniseries Containment? :D

I'm about done. It really wasn't that bad, and I only stockpile things we use regularly. If the virus fizzles out, all it means is that I won't have to go grocery shopping until the summer or fall if I can get the garden going.

One item I think I need more of is allergy medicine. We're heading into my worst season and I don't want to have to go to the pharmacy. I also don't want to walk around sneezing and have everyone think I have the plague. I rub at my nose constantly when my allergies are bad and face touching is a no-no, too.

eta: You'd think after the parade of hurricanes since Sandy, the flooding in the midwest and Houston, and countless other events, people would understand of the benefits of a moderate amount of prepping. The comments in articles like this one on Marketwatch tell me otherwise.

I also never understand people who on one hand say the government is corrupt/inept, and OTOH assume the government will help them out of a jam during an emergency. Which is it? (sorry for the OT, I'll stop)
Last edited by jennypenny on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky

Post by sky »

We just finished our hoard purchase, bring on the plague, and always look on the bright side of life:

https://www.uniassignment.com/essay-sam ... -essay.php

chenda

Post by chenda »

@jennypenny re allergies, placing a teabag which has been soaked in hot water over your eyelids will stop them itching, and feels much nicer than eye drops :)

Apparently German supermarkets are being emptied...

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

They did say that they had the ability to connect to other systems and sources should the need arise. Apparently that's common (?).
IIRC, that was how the Flint Michigan water problem started... :shock:

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Ego wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:41 am
As mentioned in the other thread, our upstairs neighbor returned from a cross country flight last Sunday and went to the Emergency Room on Monday before they had the ability to test for the virus. She was sent home with a hacking cough and has had it ever since. I wake up early and can hear her up there suffering. We've offered to pick things up for her but she's been ordering necessities online.
This is awful. Just the kind of thing I bet is happening all over town but we just don’t know it till they roll out the test kits.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

The fed just cut interest rates “to battle coronavirus.”

Ok...

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

chenda wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:00 pm
feels much nicer than eye drops
Or B monosperma root extract.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

chenda wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:00 pm
Apparently German supermarkets are being emptied...
Not quite! Apart from empty shelves in the "desinfection" aisle everything seems normal.
It was in the news yesterday that pasta is bought in large quantities, but at least in our rural supermarkets its business as usual. I've added to my pantry to last us a a few weeks, plus enough pet food and soap. I'm rather overprepared than underprepared.

There are plenty of mocking posts in my Facebook feed, making fun of people who stockpile. But personally I don't think this "panic" is a bad thing. Most people never ever think about how they would cope if they could not leave the house for a while. I've learned my lesson after a freak rainstorm flooded our area and destroyed all roads around our farm, marooning us for a few days.
So to me it's a good thing if it gets people thinking!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Just went to the local WMT. Didn't check for masks, gloves, or visors or any of that jazz. The only shortage I noticed was that they were almost out of bleach(*). Otherwise, things looked pretty normal for a Tuesday.

(*) CLX has done well lately.

George the original one

Local small town Safeway here in Seaside was a little light on shelf stock, but not particularly so for a Tuesday morning. There were a few places where canned goods were carefully arranged to hide the lack of stock behind them. I didn't look in the sanitation supplies...

We replenished canned goods. Wife will get toilet paper this weekend when we visit her dad. Current supplies are about 5 rolls in each bathroom, so it's our normal time to purchase anyway.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

I really don't see why toilet paper would be such a hot commodity in a crisis. Just cut up some old t-shirts if you run out! :)

George the original one

People prefer what they're used to. My wife told me, in no uncertain terms, that there WILL be toilet paper in our house!

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

George the original one wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:20 pm
People prefer what they're used to. My wife told me, in no uncertain terms, that there WILL be toilet paper in our house!
The entirety of southern asia laughs at all of us in "just wash your asses smh"

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Alphaville wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 am
The fed just cut interest rates “to battle coronavirus.”

Ok...
It was already very low. It seems like a waste of one of the fed's few remaining bullets to me. What are they going to do when the interest rate is near zero and a real recession strikes?

It smells like trump wanting to be re elected rather than a well thought out strategy to keep a stable economy going or fight a pandemic that hasn't happened yet.

George the original one

Notice how the rate cut did not buoy the market today for more than 30 minutes? In other words, the traders feel that if the Fed Reserve is thinking it's time to panic, then it must definitely be time to get out of the market.

I'm sure Trump is having a fit now!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:38 pm
It was already very low. It seems like a waste of one of the fed's few remaining bullets to me. What are they going to do when the interest rate is near zero and a real recession strikes?
Ask the EU :mrgreen:

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

The idea is to moisten your left hand with water and then use it to scrape the water soluble remnants of excreta after which hands are washed with ash/soap.
It seems to be a preference thing with either side finding it difficult to adopt the other way of doing things.