Anyone prepping for corona?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

Re: Anyone prepping for corona?

Post by Ego »

bostonimproper wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 am
Is there a particular reason folks expect food shortages or is everyone just limiting number of grocery visits and deliveries due to fomites?
Two thirds of my tenants never ate at home before Covid. With Starbucks down the street, some did not have coffee makers. About half of the restaurants converted to take-out but many including Starbucks are closed. For many restaurants, food is a loss-leader for profitable alcohol sales. It wasn't until yesterday that our state revised the order to allow them to sell alcohol to-go. Too late, everyone stocked up.

So, the shift from empty kitchen cabinets to two month supply for a whole class of people who never required anything from that supply chain put a stress on it that has still not recovered and will continue to be overwhelmed.

On the supply side, food has to be grown, picked and processed. The State Department shut down visa processing at the beginning of the crisis but just waived a bunch of requirements for processing H-2A visas including waiving interviews for returning guest workers.

But legal guest workers are a drop in the bucket of workers needed. I don't know the percentage who are illegal but I believe it is pretty high. They have to get across the border and up to the fields at a time when border enforcement is high and there is nobody on public transit to blend in with. If you were a migrant worker somewhere in central Mexico and the government is not preaching how Covid will kill millions of people, would you leave your family behind and set out on a perilous journey like that?

Maybe if this gets bad enough we will begin to see American field workers. :|
Last edited by Ego on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason »

There will obviously be a trove of books written on this event. Fauci and Cuomo will get 7 figures for their accounts. They will cross all fields - science/history/economics/politics. I believe Fish Tank Guy will be the go-to anecdotal example of irrational panic. He and his unfortunate decision to chug something purchased at his local PetCo will never be forgotten.

C40

Post by C40 »

Ego wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:47 am
Maybe if this gets bad enough we will begin to see American field workers. :|
School is closed, so teenagers could do it. (I'm not presenting it as a good idea)

To some extent, it works that way in the midwest already (and maybe other parts of the country), where teenagers do corn detasseling and other manual labor field work during the summer. I never did it myself. The first year my older brother did, he only went to work like 2-3 days a week because he hated it, so I figured I wouldn't like it either.

-------------

On deadly cure/prevention attempts:

A guy in Vietnam took 15 Chloroquine pills and OD'd. He survived

I've read that people in Iran came to believe drinking methanol could protect them from Coronavirus. 300 people died from drinking it, including children whose parents had them drink it. (although I'm not entirely sure whether they intentionally drank methanol, or were just trying to drink alcohol and got some really crappy/knockoff bootleg booze)

Jason

Post by Jason »

The President of Belarus is stating that getting drunk, driving a tractor and then resting up in a spa is curative. Might be worth picking up some John Deere stock in case he's right.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

@jason directly to the spa, with lube. can't go worse than boeing

Jason

Post by Jason »

Boeing has to be thinking "Thank God for Corona." (1) It completely OJ Simpsoned them out of the news cycle. (2) No one is flying, even airlines who's planes aren't prone to crashing. (3) They get bailed out. (4) They get non-competitive time to fix their planes. (5) Killing 350 people is peanuts compared to the number Corona is going to take out. They can actually say some of those people would have died just a few months later under worse conditions. (5) plenty of other stocks are getting crushed so idiots like me aren't totally focused on them (6) By the time people are flying again they'll have forgotten about 2019.

That being said, drunk tractor riding seems kind of fun.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Sclass wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:31 am
I wish we could see some more Hail Mary experiments like the fish tank guy. Unlike th above he actually proved something.
All that poor silly man proved is that the Dunning-Kruger effect can mimic the outcomes of the Russian roulette game.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm
Prepping-wise, tomorrow will be my first shopping trip after 3 weeks of stay-at-home.
Trip went well. Got all the produce I could want and now will spend a few days processing it for storage. Virtually no stock of TP/Kleenex and customers limited to 1 for purchase.

Flour and boxes of processed food derived from flour (cake mix, muffin mix, etc.) were non-existent. This should be a reminder to everyone that wheat and oats are seasonal crops, so if there's a run on them, you're out of luck for awhile. Frozen orange juice concentrate also non-existent.

Apart from a small selection of pork chops, I didn't see any meat bargains.

So... next grocery trip sometime late in May!

Edit: Only one shopper wearing a mask. About 15 of us in the store, no waiting in the checkout line. Our county only has 3 confirmed cases.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

I stocked up on groceries about three weeks ago but decided to make a Costco trip this past Wednesday around 4:45pm. I was pleasantly surprised everything looked fully stocked. It was not congested with shoppers and I would approximate about half wore gloves and face masks (including myself).

As far as groceries went, I was able to get everything on my list with the exception of a specialty cheese :) It definitely calmed me down considering other grocery stores have been picked dry.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

In the UK the peak of panic food buying seems to be over. Transactions at supermarkets peaked 2 weeks ago and are declining ever since and some supermarkets are abandoning limits on purchases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52102906

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

We decided to do a grocery run since we were out with our dog at the vet anyway. We have enough stuff but figured we should top off before everyone gets their $1200 check and runs out to buy food. We were a little surprised at how depleted the stores were. We decided to buy as much as we could (without being assholes about it). We'll try again when our dog has to go in for follow-up testing but I'm not hopeful we'll find much.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Here in Portugal there is 0 impact to the availability and price of food, paper goods, and supermarket staples. The are restricting the number of shoppers per store, queues remain outside if it's busy, and many stores are providing hand sanitizer and gloves to shoppers. In Poland you NEED to have a mask and gloves in order to enter a store, and shopper limits are established based on the number of tills a store has.

I spoke with my parents, in NYC there are very low levels of non-perishables, meats, and in some cases fresh produce. I guess this is where population density matters, as out in Eastern LI things seem to be much better stocked from speaking with friends in the past few days.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Figure that grocery store shortages are proportional to the normal restaurant/home cooking ratio for a given area. Downtown, people tend to eat out more and thus they ordinarily need/have fewer grocery stores.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

There was impact for about two weeks up here and now stores are fully stocked minus lysol, hand sanitizer etc. Prices have also dropped to some of the lowest levels I've ever seen on some produce and meat items. I take that to mean that not as many people are shopping at the moment.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

The stores near downtown Austin went through an early supply shock but seem to be doing well right now. Cleaning supplies and paper products are still a bit scarce but food is plentiful. That said, it's possible the stores available here make a difference. Whole Foods has Amazon running supply chain, and our local option HEB has a strong history of dealing with disaster response.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Although this article highlights Finland's preparedness, it also addresses the political and economic origins of the current international competition for medical supplies in Europe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/worl ... masks.html

chenda

Post by chenda »

Things have gone crazy again here again, long queues outside supermarkets before opening time, and presumably soon to be diminished supplies inside. I assume it's the Easter bank holiday having some kind of impact.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

I think it's just people stocking for bank holiday. We went to Aldi today and it was fully stocked with not that many people inside. We have about 2.5 months' worth of dry food and are just replacing weekly plus buying fresh veggies & fruits. It's also probably not unreasonable to build a couple of months worth of toilet paper as during peak fear we didn't find any for 2 weeks (we were almost out of it by the time panic was over).

Frita

Post by Frita »

Not that we have been driving, but yesterday I saw gas for $0.99/gallon. That is a pre-2000 price.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I'd be filling up every single suitable storage container with gas for later. What are those metal ones called that store about an extra tank, a rig?