Help me Sound Proof my Doors While keeping the door easily closable?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Help me Sound Proof my Doors While keeping the door easily closable?

Post by TopHatFox »

Hey,

So I’ve been using this weather stripping door kit from a company called Kanzy to soundproof doors around the house:

https://www.amazon.com/Soundproof-Weath ... B0742H2XBR

The soundproofing works, but installing the weather stripping above makes it hard to close the door. In other words, once installed, I have to really push the door closed and for some of the doors remove the metal latch that the door handle goes into. Every time I open the door, the door opens with with a spring motion, because the weatherstripping pushes the door away from the frame. This springy-ness is also a little loud, which is annoying. I’d do the research on it, but the research on this one is more involved than finding a good snorkeling set or something lol.

Can you all help me to find a suitable door sound proofing weather strip replacement?

——-

Thus far I have taken these steps:

1. Get solid core door
2. Apply weather stripping (which unfortunately makes it hard to close door rn)
3. Apply door
4. Apply weather stripping around door
5. Apply door sweep
6. Hang soundproof padding on door
7. Place a white noise machine adjacent door

Riggerjack

Re: Help me Sound Proof my Doors While keeping the door easily closable?

Post by Riggerjack »

Install a preframed exterior door. It will have the right weatherstripping for the space. If that is still not good enough, a very heavy tapestry, hanging on a rod, that can be pulled out of the way for opening, and close over the door.

Costco sells a weighted blanket that could do the trick. But you will need a heavy duty rod/brackets.

Or the cheaper way would be to measure your gap, and go to a weatherstripping manufacturer's site to find an appropriate weatherstripping solution for your application.

TopHatFox

Re: Help me Sound Proof my Doors While keeping the door easily closable?

Post by TopHatFox »

Oh, that last one makes really good sense: not all weather stripping is the same, it must be fit to the size of the gap.