What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Alphaville

Re: What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Post by Alphaville »

i cooked some rice in sour whey (from straining yogurt)

it was nice with butter, but... needed spinach or something

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Meals from 03-18-2020
Breakfast: two eggs, three corn tortillas, homemade salsa, 16 oz. coffee with a splash of milk
Snack: 10 oz coffee with hazelnut creamer
Lunch: Homemade tomato soup
Dinner: Corn on the cob served Mexican street elote (mayo, butter, parmesan cheese, salt, Tapatio hot sauce), Spanish rice, pinto beans, homemade salsa, glass of wine
Snack: 1/4 cup popcorn with water.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

wake up drink was a scoop of whey protein in water

then i had a mega-chunk of liver paté for 2nd breakfast, with black coffee. 3lb chicken livers gone in a few days! b12 needs are filled and then some

lunch was a cup of yogurt, 1/2 cup granola, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries.

cocktail hour: a gimlet

dinner: a stir fry of: chicken breast, cabbage, onion, garlic, hot pepper flaxes, soy sauce. cooked in lovely lard from a pork shoulder roast. served over warm, fresh-cooked jasmin rice.

late night might share an apple with a bit of cheddar.

life is good in here. fingers crossed.

Saltation

Post by Saltation »

Breakfast: ~26oz coffee with splash of milk and a Chobani peach greek yogurt.

Lunch: It's cooking in the oven right now. Baked chicken halves with cajun seasoning, onion and garlic powder and black pepper. Side dish will be leftover black eyed peas that were pressure cooked yesterday.

Dinner: Frozen meat pizza at a friends house with a couple beers and some cheap scotch.

This is a pretty out of the ordinary meal day for myself/family. Typically I IF and eat only dinner that typically consists of a very large salad with a side of fruit or pasta/rice/potatoes with some meat and a couple alcoholic beverages later in the night.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Breakfast: chai spiced pear scones with vanilla glaze, coffee

Lunch: leftover orange chicken and brown rice from last night, stirfried mixed veggies, water

Snack: oatmeal (my favorite food, just plain), maybe a coffee

Dinner: perhaps a beer while cooking, tofu burger sliders, oven fries, salad, water

Snack: lemon poundcake (teen made it yesterday by himself)

Edited: I was eating another snack right before bed, something I began a couple weeks ago (stress eating!) but have replaced with water.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i ate some beans for lunch and they made me sleepy... i need to eat my big carbs later in the day

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Jambalaya: smoked sausage, chicken, rice, onions, celery, pepper, a couple carrots just because. Easy, cheap, it made a ton, and is delish.

Also read up on jambalaya: creole vs Cajun. I made Cajun. Also read up on other rice dishes and it’s sort of interesting that many cultures have similar dishes. You can kind of trace the history from Africa to Spain to New Orleans... but of course there are versions in Afghanistan, etc.

Anyway: it was good and I’m glad because I’m going to have to eat it all week.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:22 pm
Jambalaya
luckeeeeeeeee...

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

I made a couple of gimlets with honey.

It's not technically food, but almost feels like it. Vitamin C and some other stuff.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

dinner was flatbreads and refried beans (made with real manteca)

so goooooooood...

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

breakfast of flatbreads, butter, and tea.

i'm starting to play with randomizing meal contents and intermittent fasts to get the body conditioned for flex fuel and bouts of hunger but not to expect "mealtimes".

normally i'd have a low caloric high protein thing for breakfast but today was low protein greasy carb. feels good actually.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Today, I ate yet more jambalaya for breakfast. I can’t take any more, so made room in the fridge and froze the rest. It’s good.... and I don’t mind eat the same thing for a few days..... but I’m jambalaya’d out.

Right now I have corn chowder working: potatoes, corn, onion, Celery, carrot, bacon, chicken broth, and some milk that I need to use up. Pretty big pot of that too, so I’ll probably be sick of it, too, before it’s done.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 pm
Today, I ate yet more jambalaya for breakfast. I can’t take any more, so made room in the fridge and froze the rest. It’s good.... and I don’t mind eat the same thing for a few days..... but I’m jambalaya’d out.
it’s a lot of days to keep rice, yeah. maybe reheat as a soup to hydrate the starches. jamba-gumbo.

and fried egg on jambalaya must be a glorious thing. breakfast!
EdithKeeler wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Right now I have corn chowder working: potatoes, corn, onion, Celery, carrot, bacon, chicken broth, and some milk that I need to use up. Pretty big pot of that too, so I’ll probably be sick of it, too, before it’s done.
a little glass of cooking sherry brings magic to a chowdah

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ate for lunch some refried beans and olive oil-fried eggs on flatbreads, plus a little improvised curtido of just red cabbage and white vinegar and kosjer salr. kinda like a giant burrito-pupusa thing, but with a better dough. it was goooooood! wow!

but damn, the big starchy lunch made me sleepy again...

dinner was a simple blueberry martini, 2oz roasted peanuts, 4oz cheddar.

for the blueberry martini: muddle 2 oz blueberries with 1 tsp sugar (i used swerve sweetener today), add 1.5oz gin, muddle some more, add ice, shake, fine strain. beautiful. later you can add water to the mixing glass for a refreshing shrub of sorts, then eat the berries with a spoon.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Pinto beans cooked with a ham hock. Corn muffins.

niemand

Post by niemand »

Alphaville wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm
blueberry martini: muddle 2 oz blueberries with 1 tsp sugar (i used swerve sweetener today), add 1.5oz gin, muddle some more, add ice, shake, fine strain. beautiful.
I am intrigued. I'll try this, but with some sweet vermouth instead of the sugar. Thanks :)

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

niemand wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:05 am
I am intrigued. I'll try this, but with some sweet vermouth instead of the sugar. Thanks :)
sweet vermouth already has raisin flavor, not sure how the berries will stand out but please keep us posted

also-- same combo works great with raspberry

(i use frozen)

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

In an effort to find less time-consuming uses for masa harina than tortillas (though fresh corn tortillas were worth the time), I made a vegetarian version of this masa-topped pot pie: https://www.aspicyperspective.com/perfe ... ie-recipe/

Easier to just mix together compared to a regular pie crust and you could easily substitute a lot of stuff. The crust would probably be fine without the dairy too.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

^^ smart move on the masa

i had a weird dish for dinner consisting of: jasmine rice, olive oil, tomato sauce, steamed spinach, roasted almonds, and nutritional yeast. each batch-cooked separately and combined on the bowl.

for “dessert” it’s rooibos with coconut cream

Kipling

Post by Kipling »

In the new 'WFH normal', I am giving full rein to my 40s-age-realisation that 'meals' do not need to look like 'things you were told growing up are meals conventional to the time of day'. Thus:

Breakfast: pint of coffee made from freshly ground beans; stick of celery, radishes, almonds, goat's cheese.

Lunch: smoked mackerel, red chilli, yellow bell pepper, slice of toasted 100% pumpernickel rye bread, stick celery, lettuce, coriander, capers, gherkins, black pepper, all chopped up with a vinaigrette and lemon juice; small piece leftover treacle tart.

Dinner: chicken biryani made from scratch; 90% cocoa chocolate, brazil nuts; wine.