What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Alphaville

Re: What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Post by Alphaville »

monday i cooked black beans, a pile of quinoa, and a pot of kale

kale is awful, but i had some in the freezer and wanted to get rid of it...

so i took out my leftover bones and scraps from the feezer and made a stock. then i cooked the greens in some of that stock for a long time in the slow cooker. that made the kale edible. appetizing i mean.

the quinoa i just toasted in the pan before adding water, unseasoned (except for salt). i use it as a rice replacement with the beans and greens. i also use it as a cereal- yesterday ate it hot with peanut butter and blueberries it was good! also had it with fried eggs. could season 10,000 different ways.

dessert tonight was a slice of goat cheesee with a few roasted almonds, a squirt of honey, and a fat pinch of cinnamon sprinkled on top. fast and easy and great tasting.

chased it down with a glass of cold unsweetened rooibos. we brew a pot weekly and keep a few swing top bottles in the refrigerator to drink mostly in the evening.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Kale is not awful :) there is a curly cale lasagna in my oven right now, one of my favourite dishes!
Our garden is overflowing with kale right now so this will be a regular dish the next few weeks.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

horsewoman wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:54 am
Kale is not awful :) there is a curly cale lasagna in my oven right now, one of my favourite dishes!
hahaha. well not awful like, say, margarine (now that’s a truly awful thing). but kale is so damn chewy, it’s like homework. i much prefer spinach, or chard. given a choice of kale i prefer dino kale (lacinato), which is more delicate, tastes better, but can be hard to find.

i guess having your own garden you can choose what to pick for tenderness. the stuff i’ve been finding was quite hard...

flavorwise the best kale combo for me is with soy sauce. makes it almost “meaty”. haven’t tried in lasagna. we’re talking regular lasagna or something else?

but i said awful i think just so i remember to give up on buying it. needed to construct it as a binary choice. no more “maybe i could...” at the store :D

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Kale pesto is my preferred way to have it. Stick the leaves in a food processor instead of basil and add the usual pesto ingredients.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Alphaville wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 am

we’re talking regular lasagna or something else?
Vegetarian lasagna - tomato sauce with lentils in layers with kale and pasta sheets, baked with cheese on top.

I cut the kale in small pieces with scissors and boil it for a short time in a pot of water before layering it in the dish. The lasagna is baked for 50 minutes, and afterwards the kale is not very chewy, at least to me!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Making enchiladas. These ones, but with cheese--I highly recommend. Her enchilada sauce is easy and way way better than buying prepared.
https://www.budgetbytes.com/snap-challe ... nchiladas/

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Spaghetti Squash

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

cooked up a storm this weekend: fermented 2qt fresh yogurt, made tomato sauce with italian sausages (sausages were purchased), then baked: a batch of water crackers, a loaf of bread (ken forkish overnight, with some mods) and 6 chicken breasts—well, half breasts. oh! also processed a bunch of lemons (scraped & dehydrated zest, juiced, froze rinds for unspecified use later). i’m *almost* set for the week :lol:

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

for lunch i assembled an open faced torta, with:
-the bread i baked yesterday, plus
-the cream from the edge of a yogurt can, plus
-some dehydrated seasoned black beans i had, plus
-glorious spam! because i stockpiled a ton of it these past months :lol:

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

my wife just made these goddamn cookies for the first time:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... ies-recipe

we both agreed: oversweet! even more than cloying, the kind of sweetness that hurts your teeth on contact. overgreasy! way too much fat. and so much chocolate chip there’s practically no cookie. she used a scale so all measures are accurate to the gram.

but see, this is the kind of shit people like to eat. like one of those christina tosi recipes that made her rich and famous: excessive.

we put them in the freezer to grind and will use as a sprinkle topping at a later date. not sure on what, but... too goddamn sweet as they are. even a single one, even with unsweetened tea or coffee, is too sweet. like begging for cavities. brrrrr!

dial it down, america! sheesh...

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

"These golden cookies are packed with chips and loaded with buttery flavor." Believe the cookies when they tell you who they are... sorry to blame the victim!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Peanut wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:15 pm
"These golden cookies are packed with chips and loaded with buttery flavor." Believe the cookies when they tell you who they are... sorry to blame the victim!
hahaha i can eat all the butter; the problem here was *oversweet*. i’d halve the sugar.

i’d double the butter too, for butteriness, but remove the shortening to reduce greasiness.

we might do all that next time. worth experimenting in search of a great cookie. i love failure!

meanwhile i put the cookies in the food processor and made a crumble. a teaspoon of it is nice!

we might make cookie butter with it :)

btw the king arthur ginger snaps were *perfect* on first try.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

had a great little lunch. made a spectacular sandwich with:

-onion focaccia (leftover from weekend)
-parsley walnut pesto (made fresh in food processor)
-labneh aka yogurt cheese from my weekly batch

it was so good we fell into temptation and had a thimble of wine with it ha ha

finished with a small cup of dark roasted sumatra and a mandarin
Last edited by Alphaville on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i steamed some yukon golds in the pressure cooker for 13' then ate them with butter. they were supposed to be for tomorrow but who can wait for hot buttered potatoes?

then i pressure cooked 1lb split peas with 1/4c dehydrated onion and 1.5 tsp kosher salt in 5c liquid (some was the potato water) for 20' with natural release. since we have hard water i used 1/2 tsp nahco3 to make sure they came out soft. mixed in a good fat shake of nooch and tomorrow will season with fresh ground lack pepper.

prepped some red chard for tomorrow also.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

made okonomiyaki using red cabbage i had fermenting in whey for weeks now (3?)

after straining to separate, i used 1 cup whey as alt-dashi. it was salty, so i didn't add salt to the dough.

for flour i used 50/50 mix of whole red wheat and dark rye.

pancakes came out an INSANE BLUE! i gotta learn to strip exif data so i can share pictures...

topped with watery industrial mayo and brewed sencha to drink. it was a nice & new combo.

savory pancakes are my new go-to weekend breakfast. tasty, and help clean the fridge.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

for lunch i was looking for a simpler version of the john cage lentil paté and i pressure cooked 1 cup french lentils with 1 cup bulgur wheat with 3 cups of water, salts herbs aromatics etc , for just 10 minutes, and it came out great.

a bit of olive oil and fresh ground pepper and chopped parsley, plus a side salad, and it's a full meal.

followed by a navel orange and black coffee.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

for lunch i pressure cooked 2 cups green lentils with 2 garlic cloves, 3 or 4 of dried shiitakes torn in pieces, about 5g kombu, a bay leaf, some thyme, 1 tsp salt... 2 tbsp onion flakes, and i think that was about it, in 3.25 cups water (3 for the lentils, .25 for the dehydrated stuff).

removed and ate the cooked kombu and the shiitakes (except the stems which can be chewed but preferably not eaten, though one could)

served the lentils over plain steamed quinoa from another day, topped with crumbled walnuts, fresh ground black pepper, and a trickle of olive oil.

after that we shared a navel orange and brewed coffee.

so good.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

dinner: {sweet potato, broccoli and peanut} stir fry (on avocado oil, with soy sauce and italian peperoncino). dessert was 1/2 apple with a spoon of yogurt cheese and a trickle of honey, for dipping. finished with a cup of rooibos.

im getting deep into vegetarian territory. vegan not yet although eggs and dairy consumption are sharply down.

Ontarian

Post by Ontarian »

Thanks for sharing the foods & drinks you're preparing Alphaville. Truly delicious & healthy inspiration. Last night's not-heavy dinner, dessert, and "digestif" were particularly so for me. Thanks again.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ah, great to hear, glad to be of use, thanks for letting me know.

today will be the same thing likely, as i cook in big batches and just reheat (eg sweet potato was baked in the weekend, gets crisped in the stir fry before plating). out of broccoli for today though, so likely i'll do green cabbage instead.

eta: for lunch it was the same quinoa lentil bowl as yesterday (quinoa is now gone), but i added some chopped bell peppers i had marinating in olive oil for a change of flavor.