What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
sid3

Re: What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Post by sid3 »

9 am: 3 eggs cast iron pan fried topped with sriracha
9:30-11:30: 16 oz french press coffee listening to the Lovedrive album by the Scorpions
2 pm: Mountain dew kickstart I got for free when I wagered that I could swing from a ceiling mounted chain onto a filing cabinet then jump through a doorway so as to avoid walking over 10 ft of wet paint, plot twist: the ceiling mounted chain was mounted to a linear beam and I traveled 6 feet sideways onto a desk before heading to the filing cabinet.
3:45: 1 dried date
weight lifting
6:15: 1 pilsner
7: 1 lb low quality cast iron pan fried steak. Onion, green pepper, and mushrooms fried in steak juice, sauerkraut side. 8 oz Yellow Tail Merlot.
7:30: 4 oz blue corn tortilla chips, 9 oz guacamole, shitload of vitamin and fish oil pills, 1 pilsner
8:00: 3 oz Merlot
8:30: 3 oz Merlot
Sometime later: a litle more wine and another beer and dipping tobbaco while playing poker
2 am: more chips and guac
Zero bullets shot.

Inspirational?

Frita

Post by Frita »

@EdithKeeler
Imperfect Foods sounds awesome. When I checked out their site, I discovered it doesn’t deliver to our state.

At the first of the month my favorite grocery store has a $10 bag sale. In-season fruits are veggies, all one can fit in a large handled paper bag (Think Tetris.), are included. This month it was grape tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, several types of apples, bananas, mangoes, romaine lettuce, celery, red and green peppers, carrots, and avocados (boring month). We eat a lot of produce so this is pretty great.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

After my morning oj+whey shake I had a comical 2nd breakfast of Maruchan Yakisoba Spicy Chicken ($0.59/packet), which I had bought on a lark, because every now and then I like to make small offerings to the junk food gods, and appease them.

Turns out each packet has roughly 500kcal and 12g protein (from powdered chicken, soy flour, wheat) and so it kept hunger in check, plus the habanero + umami excess was tasty. Unfortunately it includes 8g sugar plus some dubious ingredients. Eh...

Nutritional limitations aside, the problem I see here is the massive amount of garbage generated by this product. A plastic tray, a foil lid, 2 plastic packets inside, plastic film around the whole thing... too trashy for habitual consumption.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

I cooked chicken hearts last week. I usually don't really buy meat but I was intrigued and bought a small pack from the grocery store. It is also very cheap. You will usually find them along chicken liver.

Cut all the hearts in two and remove the fat before cooking. I cooked them with a lot of chopped garlic and grated ginger with a dash of oil. It is a bit chewy and you well likely get a metallic after taste but all in all it is worth it if you want your meat fix once in a while. Getting chicken hearts from organic chicken is probably best too. Which I didn't do.
Bon appétit.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I made this recipe this weekend. It got rave reviews. The only thing I changed was I almost doubled the sauce (I like saucy enchiladas—I used leftover sauce in migas last night—see below).

https://www.budgetbytes.com/snap-challe ... nchiladas/

I like that Budget Bytes website. She posts what everything costs, she has detailed pictures, and she doesn’t use a ton of crazy ingredients. I recommend if you’re looking for some new things to try. Most of her stuff is on the healthier side and she has quite a few vegetarian recipes.

I made my version of migas last night—well, a version.
Fried up the 2 leftover tortillas from the enchiladas, removed, dumped half a bag of leftover shredded cabbage in the skillet and lightly fried/steamed that up, and removed that. Took about a half a cup of that leftover enchilada sauce, dumped that in the pan and scrambled it with 2 eggs. Layered the chips on top of the cabbage, and the eggs on top of that. It was a fridge clean-out mess but it was DELICIOUS!!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Just had a lunch of black beans (cooked from scratch), ditalini pasta, cooked chopped spinach, and olive oil. It’s hearty, it’s nutritious, it’s cheap and easy to make, it tastes great.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I turned a 3 lb chub of hamburger into meatloaf last night. Mixed in finely diced or grated onion, sweet pepper, celery, quick cook oats, & carrots. Glaze from ketchup, sugar, & worcestershire sauce. It turned out fabulous, tender & fluffy, but was a lot more work than I anticipated as thoroughly mixing the ingredients by hand was a chore and this was a double batch.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Today: homemade cream of mushroom soup and roasted sugar snap peas. Yum.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

mac & cheese, made “from scratch” with a block of industrial cheese product. seasoned with harissa.

trash weekend!!!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Today: roasted chicken leg quarters with au gratin potatoes, salad and rice pudding for dessert. Taking dinner to my mom in the nursing home tonight.
Last edited by EdithKeeler on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

Beef stew. Everyone wanted seconds.
Braised cubed Beef & onions, added Carrot, Turnip, Mushrooms, red wine, tarragon and bay leaves, some salt, top up with water until covered.
Simmer & reduce for 3 hours.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

wife made a king cake—which was glorious.

i made red beans to eat during the week in honor of mardi gras or something—but no rice because it does not keep well. beans came out great.

baked a loaf of bread for the first half of the week too.

also baked a batch of granola using butter as the fat.

made a gallon of yogurt.

we’re all set for monday...

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Laissez la bon temps roulez!

(I did not look that up so probably butchered it...)

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

^^i think since it’s a party, good wishes are everything, and perfect grammar not at all required

ah, i wish i had been there in person hahaha

i hear good reports of friends who were there

maybe next year!
Last edited by Alphaville on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ssssso my breakfast bananas and midday pastas are proving too high glycemic for my metabolism: they make me very hungry soon after!

instead of banana i’ll have almonds today. fat is my friend.

and i’m keeping the beans for lunch, but ditching the pasta, and adding some monterrey jack instead. i wish i had riced cauliflower for some balance, but i’m not shopping for groceries till friday... maybe.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

bit of a food orgy today

a massive stack of whey pancakes for breakfast. with honey and peanut butter and blueberries. black coffee.

we had to skip lunch! because wow.

for dinner a stirfry of potatoes that were baked last weekend, with chicken meat carved from the bones of last sunday’s roast, abundant broccoli, splash soy sauce, finished with a generous dollop of harissa. washed down with boatswain chocolate stout.

i got high off it.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

@alphaville I got slightly queasy just by reading this :)

DH brought home freshly plucked curly kale from work which went into a vegetarian kale-lentil lasagna. There is enough left over for lunch, so no cooking for me today!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

hahaha queasy?

damn...

i was very tasty i assure you :mrgreen:

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Birthday weekend— mom’s birthday yesterday, brother’s today. Yesterday made a sausage, onion, crimini mushroom and spinach strata (Swiss cheese) and took over to my mom’s nursing home; served with sliced tomato and some cantaloupe. It was delish.

Tonight another moveable feast of crab cakes, baked coconut shrimp, baked potato and salad. Not quite sure how well the shrimp and crab cakes will travel and stay warm, but I’ll give it a go.
Last edited by EdithKeeler on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:00 am
sausage, onion, crimini mushroom and spinach strata (Swiss cheese) served with sliced tomato and some cantaloupe. crab cakes, baked coconut shrimp, baked potato and salad.
wow, that’s how to celebrate! baked coconut shrimp, yum yum...

-

i just made a breakfast scramble of bacon, yukon golds, eggs, and harissa.

im addicted to trader joe’s harissa and will put it on everything...

(it helps mitigate the pain of daylight saving time somewhat)