What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Alphaville

Re: What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Post by Alphaville »

☝️nice!

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

We made bagels.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

bigato wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:25 pm
Araucaria nuts, pressure cooked with salt. Funny that you can't even buy them here. You just go to the woods and gather some. They are ripe for about three or four months of the year, starting at around now.
Same here with walnuts. There are so many walnut trees in our neck of the woods but people buy them in the store. Crazy!

Back to cooking inspiration - yesterday we've had home-made pizza and today a vegetable & pasta casserole.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

I ate some horrible “corned beef hash” from a can (I bought it for research/to round out a pantry order) which I fixed after frying by mixing it with cooked broccoli and dehydrated potato (“hash browns”) from a box, then drowning it in hot sauce.

I won’t reorder the corned beef, lololol, but the dehydrated shredded potatoes (from Costco) were pretty decent and I’ll keep them in the emergency stash.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Corned Beef Hash isn't great. Corned Beef in can is amazing, especially with a side omelette for breakfast.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

TheWanderingScholar wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:57 pm
Corned Beef Hash isn't great. Corned Beef in can is amazing, especially with a side omelette for breakfast.
any brand you’d recommend? i do buy/like canned hams. i should take it easy with the cured meats though. but still, for research, a name would help. thanks in advance.

lately i’ve been having this fast shake for “first breakfast”
  • 25g whey protein
    8g hydrolyzed collagen
    15ml mct oil
    ~2g cacao powder
    250mg vitamin c
    >250ml water
requires little prep+cleanup, starts me up on protein and water, and helps keep hunger at bay.

a contemporary version of the slimfast, i guess...

Frita

Post by Frita »

Alphaville wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 am
any brand you’d recommend?
In Belize the Grace brand is popular and tasty. Make your own hash and serve on coconut rice.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Frita wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:39 am
In Belize the Grace brand is popular and tasty. Make your own hash and serve on coconut rice.
thanks! i looked it up and they have a link to amazon, but amazon shows nothing listed.

speaking of amazon... i found there libby’s and another brand of corned beef.... hereford? my worry is that they are listed as products of brazil, which... well, brazil has a traditional cattle region in the south (pastures) but they’ve been burning the amazon (no pun intended re:supplier) to make room for more cattle. this is very problematic for me, so i think i’m going to pass on the product.

i remembered after seeing the labels that once i bought libby’s corned beef produced in uruguay. uruguay is ok... but the corned beef was supersalty, i assume for preservation. so i can see needing a lot of potato. lots of protein per can too, and long shelf life. hmmm...

this might be one of the things i have to buy in person...

-

eta: i found grace in amazon but the labels say brazil... :(

TheWanderingScholar

Alphaville wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 am
any brand you’d recommend? i do buy/like canned hams. i should take it easy with the cured meats though. but still, for research, a name would help. thanks in advance.
Libby's. Red Can with a can opening key. Salty but good.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Thu May 07, 2020 3:57 pm
Libby's. Red Can with a can opening key. Salty but good.
Thanks, yeah. I've eaten that, the Uruguayan version anyway. Highly concentrated meatiness.

New cans online say "Product of Brazil" which... I don't want to send my money to rainforest arsonists.

TheWanderingScholar

Alphaville wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:23 pm
New cans online say "Product of Brazil" which... I don't want to send my money to rainforest arsonists.
I looked at the cans my parents bought and yeah they say so on the lid.

In that case, maybe learn to make your own? I mean everyone is in quarantine so why not learn something new?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Thu May 07, 2020 6:30 pm
I looked at the cans my parents bought and yeah they say so on the lid.

In that case, maybe learn to make your own? I mean everyone is in quarantine so why not learn something new?
hahaha yeah! im learning to make wine in quarantine because we don’t have curbside liquor stores in my state,and they’re still “nonessential”. i will attempt making beer eventually— beer is trickier.

anyway i’m familiar with that kind of corned beef like you’d get in an irish eatery, but that’s eaten “fresh” so to speak. canned meats are a different beast, and only for expert canners. i’d probably kill myself with botulism in the attempt...

the beauty of the canned product is a shelf life of something like 10 years. will probably last 40 irl. i might stock up on the uruguayan version if i can find it.

TheWanderingScholar

True. Canned meat is one of those things, I would have in my seven day food supply in case something happens (i.e. flash flooding knocks out road to town, etc.)

MyObjectivism

Post by MyObjectivism »

I am into IF from couple of months and following is my diet today..

Breaking fast.. Huel Black, Two egg whites
Lunch.. Rice, Spinach, Lentil Soul
Snack.. Dry fruits, Apple and Banana
Dinner.. Veg salads

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Red Rice

1 cup of rice boiled in 3 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, dash of rice vinegar, salt, garlic powder, and sazon

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

had a non-hurried lunch today:

polenta with tomato sauce
+
coffee with cardamom

for the sauce: gently blend one large can of peeled tomato (i like red packs). you can use chunky too but i prefer a smooth sauce. a food processor grinds it without pulverizing the seeds. as for why whole tomato, please see kenji: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/can ... o-buy.html

then i added garlic powder, onion flakes, dried oregano, dried basil (i know, heathen: sue me), red pepper flakes, 3 small dried bay leaves (use fewer for bigger/fresher), tsp of salt, 1/2 cup red wine (i used a boxed chilean cab), 1/4 cup nice olive oil... i think that’s it.

then pressure cooked for 25’

for the polenta, we used bob’s red mill yellow grits which are delicious and cook just in 10’

scooped polenta onto large plates, topped with sauce, finished with shredded parm.

that’s it really. low in protein, so it’s not a full balanced meal, but a nice lunch anyway, and 3/4 jar tomato sauce left for another day.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@Alphaville

I never thought of pressure cooking sauce yet will forego as long as possible due to not wanting to wash my crockpot or babysit a pot on the stove for a couple hours. Just in time for Friday pizza night!

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I bought a pair of small micron mesh bags to attempt to make almond milk with. I haven’t attempted that yet. I have used them twice now to make tea. I currently have a batch that is black tea, pineapple core, and the rest of a prep made mango herbal tea. Yesterday I made a green tea, dried blueberries, and habiscus.

Anyway I think it is going to be a good tool for several uses and it was cheap and takes up no space.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Frita wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm
@Alphaville

I never thought of pressure cooking sauce yet will forego as long as possible due to not wanting to wash my crockpot or babysit a pot on the stove for a couple hours. Just in time for Friday pizza night!
oh, then lemme hook you up with a no-cook pizza sauce, pretty good:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/memb ... e-50188555

Frita

Post by Frita »

Alphaville wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:21 pm
oh, then lemme hook you up with a no-cook pizza sauce, pretty good:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/memb ... e-50188555
Thanks, I will try this with tomato purée instead of the paste and water. Or maybe the pressure cooked version as I really like that thing.