Moving overseas

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
sky

Re: Moving overseas

Post by sky »

My early retirement was based on NOT buying a second home or cabin. I would have had to work much longer to do so.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Thanks Ertyu. - yes I think its probably best not to let the virus take over long term decisions and being careful around getting a new house and having to leave old house timing would be wise.

@sky - I get what you are saying. But wherever I am not living I am likely to rent out as an investment property. Its likely that I will rent out the NZ property mid 2021 and shift to my other country and not likely return to the NZ property unless I really need to come back here to earn money at some point. A bit of a security as such.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I'm 100% with bigato on this.
Make the move now, just take some extra precautions and don't hesitate to spend a little more in order to be "safe".
NZ is about the best place you want to be (excluding some VERY remote areas) to bug out this virus thing

Jean

Post by Jean »

I'de make thé move to.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

One thing to consider especially in times like this is your social network. Do you have any friends or family in the new city or close proximity to it? Would you be leaving anyone close to you who is vulnerable on their own? If you decide to stay through the pandemic in your current city to help out/get help from your social network, how likely it is that another opportunity to relocate will appear soon? If you knew for sure that there would be another opportunity to relocate within, say, 6-12 months, would you rather stay where you are until the virus is resolved?

Alice_AU

Post by Alice_AU »

Congratulations on the work transfer! If it takes you away from the most expensive cities might be a really good outcome...

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Im feeling a huge craving to batten down the hatches and stay put and do nothing and change nothing. With the virus going on, fears of getting struck sick in the midst of moving cities, with my net worth collapsing and being much poorer, needing to spend a shit tonne of money to move - especially if I am doing it safely, with all this talk that we are at the beginning of the next recession, with us heading into winter here arrgh! The timing of this opportunity f**ing sucks!

@bankai - I have two friends in the other city. A very limited social network. The social network is very much primarily where I am now. In terms of the opportunity coming up again, I guess its possible but very hard to say when. Could be two years could be three years. Who knows for sure. I would really rather stay here until we hit about October, once we are out of winter and on the way into summer and the virus should be on its way out by then. Who knows I wouldn't be surprised if my work puts on a hiring freeze with everything going on so it may not eventuate anyway