Choosing a smartphone

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
George the original one

Choosing a smartphone

Post by George the original one » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 pm

One of my hobbies, autocross, is finally giving me solid reasons to own a smartphone, particularly as I begin competing on a national level. Scores are instantly available via WiFi (local clubs) or Internet (national competition). Event communications are now broadcast via Facebook or texts rather on-site whiteboards. Plus the ability to check traffic while traveling to events is useful.

Wasn't going to get one until after Christmas unless there are good sales... now the new iPhone is out and Verizon has good deals on the old models. As in the iPhone 7 is free with new service and iPhone 7 Plus is $10/mo. I've pretty much decided it will be one or the other.

So the questions are:
1) iPhone 7 will run the latest OS, but probably not the next one. What are the drawbacks of being frozen out of future OS upgrades?
2) iPhone 7+ has pretty good battery life, but is the battery size worth the extra physical size? I tried out an iPhone 8 vs iPhone 8 Plus and the Plus was useable, but awkward for my hands.
3) How important is extra storage for a smartphone?

Seppia

Re: Choosing a smartphone

Post by Seppia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:44 am

1) My parents are still using an iPhone 5, so I would say that a 7 will work, assuming you’re not a tech obsessed.
2) depends how much you use it. My wife has a 7 and the battery lasts her 2 days. It would not last me a full day when I travel for work. Active GPS (ie: google maps) drains the battery super fast, so remember to get a car charger.
3) if you don’t plan on taking millions of pictures and storing them all on your phone, completely irrelevant.

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Personally, I avoid IPhones. I had one years ago but dropped it once on a hard wood floor - amazingly, the screen shattered into a million tiny pieces.
Since then I have gone exclusively for Android based phones. Cheaper and more reliable. Currently using Moto 6 Plus with 64GB and a 128GB memory card.

sky

Post by sky » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 pm

You can get an Android smartphone for $20, with a $40 per month unlimited data, phone, text plan from Visible, which is a Verizon company. They allow tethering and hotspot usage, so it can serve as one's internet service.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am

My MIL has an iPhone 5C which just fell out of the update cycle and as a result can no longer use her online banking apps, other apps which are security dependent will also soon be rendered unusable too. It wont be long until the 7 follows suit which is why carriers are 'giving them away', hoping to catch out the non tech savvy types like my MIL who assumed her iphone 5c would suit her needs for a longer time.

128gb is over kill for a modest user, 64gb would be fine especially if you are prepared to back up and wipe off old photos, videos and unused apps.

Check out Fairphone. Their whole mantra is social and environmental responsibility so you shouldnt have huge issues with intended obscelesence... caveat I have no idea if they meet your needs as I dont own one, but modular design and repairability is a boon for the EREer and indicates they take long term support seriously.

Sclass

Post by Sclass » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 am

I recently upgraded to iPhone 6s and SE phones. They are the oldest phones that will take iOS 13. They will be dropped by Apple at some point. Depending on how you use the phone this can be an issue or not. I have iPhone 4s models that still work. They just won’t run the most current updates of certain apps. Sometimes this is an issue, like on banking apps that refuse to work on the old app or on my airline booking app. Other apps like
Uber still work.

I keep a $25 android phone with no service as a decoy phone. I go to a social venue that requires members to drop their phone in a basket at the front desk before entering. I hate the rule and I drop this junk phone in and sneak in my iPhone. It’s useful because sometimes I accidentally leave without claiming the phone. I don’t like the build quality but I have ever tried a high end android like a Samsung or lg. Those look nice. My brother has an older Samsung and it takes lousy pictures.

My 6s was $120 and my SE was $85 two months ago. I bet the price is way down now that iOS 13 is out. I use rubber cases and tempered glass shields to protect the phones. Amazing how much easier they are to put on nowadays by yourself without bubbles. I run $15/mo Mint Mobile service which is a T Mobile MVNO. I think this’ll be cheaper than going with regular T mobile and getting a free iPhone 7 with their package after a few months. Also I don’t worry about losing my phone or it getting broken. They’re cheap enough to replace.

I notice I buy four year old iPhones and keep them four years. It’s at the price point where I’ll spring for the device I guess. $100 a phone, four years of use.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 pm

vexed87 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am
It wont be long until the 7 follows suit which is why carriers are 'giving them away', hoping to catch out the non tech savvy types like my MIL who assumed her iphone 5c would suit her needs for a longer time.
But there will be another free phone when it's necessary to switch. Just like some people use introductory credit card offers, phone users can do the same.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:01 pm

sky wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 pm
You can get an Android smartphone for $20, with a $40 per month unlimited data, phone, text plan from Visible, which is a Verizon company. They allow tethering and hotspot usage, so it can serve as one's internet service.
Visible's offering is not bad. They throttle bandwidth for hotspots. I can see switching to their plan when the time comes. Sadly it's aimed at phone users, so my cellular modem that doubles as the house phone isn't on their list of compatible devices.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

vexed87 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am
Check out Fairphone.
Not really viable in my neck of the woods (USA). Nearest store is down in the Carribean.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm

First phone Nokia E71 in February 2009 costed INR20000.
Current phone bought in October 2015 costed INR10000.
Next upgrade scheduled for 2021 budged at INR5000.