Sean, a hacker living on the sea

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Sean, a hacker living on the sea

Post by jacob »

The removal of all seacocks (holes in the hull for in/outtake of water) reminds me of the first Pardey boat. Also, replacing the motor with an oar seems common for frugal liveaboards.

Also see https://www.amazon.com/Voyaging-Small-I ... 888671378/ at $6,000/year.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Great article. The story mentions Martijn Dijkstra on the Prinses Mia. Also a great shoestring adventurer who used salvaged materials to refit the boat.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/prinses-mia?pg=1

Using mostly salvaged materials, Martijn installed new cabinetry, a wood stove and much-needed storage. The floorboards in the forward stateroom were once used to dry Dutch cheese. The stains are still visible. The wood-burning stove was built from a car’s fuel tank.

Some of his varnish he used came from a dump in Bermuda. (Again, he wonders at what people toss away.) Other coatings, from bottom paint to two-part finishes, were sourced in like fashion. This explains the predominance of colors not often associated with yachting – the teal, the peach, and purple, tan, beige, and reds. “Most of my paint comes from the dump or the trash,” he says. “That’s why my color is so funny.”

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

It looks a good idea in some ways but by the state of the ship, I suspect he is underfunding it and will soon by the skipper of a sunken vessel.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Nomad wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:39 pm
I suspect he is underfunding it and will soon by the skipper of a sunken vessel.
Years ago I lived in a free-anchorage with a group of sailors who looked an awful lot like this guy. They taught me a very useful lesson.

The people who look the part are often playing a role. Those who are actually doing big, interesting, exciting things often look antiquated, disheveled and imperfect from the outside because they are too busy doing thing to worry about appearances.

The clutter from half-finished attempts to kludge together solution to unusual problems is a good indicator of genius.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

The guy has skills. He sailed the cook islands for a bit in that boat. The cook islands are in the middle of nowhere in the pacific and to arrive their on such a small boat takes skill. My only criticism is how much of his wiring and electronics are exposed. Salt water corrosion from the ambient ocean air will prematurely age the wires and electronics. If anything breaks down I'm 100% sure he can fix it easily but he should be stuffing as much of his stuff into airtight containers to make it last longer.

https://sciencing.com/effects-saltwater ... 32636.html: humid ocean air causes metal to corrode 10 times faster than air with normal humidity.