Digital Minimalism

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
RFS

Digital Minimalism

Post by RFS »

I'm currently reading Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport. If you feel like your relationship with digital technology (email, text messaging, consuming content online, etc.) is not perfect, I heartily recommend it.

He argues that everyone needs to develop their own philosophy for using digital technology. For example, one of the people he profiled was checking a ridiculous amount of blogs all day. This habit was both wasting his time and contributing to this compulsive feeling that he needed to constantly check something. He started reading the blogs only once a week, at 7 pm each Sunday in his office. Being intentional about when and where he did this helped him spend significantly less time behind a screen, while reaping all the benefits.

Do you have a philosophy for using digital tech? I think this is especially relevant for the FI life, since most of us are hyper focused on intentional living, susceptible to reading about random shit on a screen for hours, and either have, or are approaching a place of, way more free time than most people.

Atlas

Re: Digital Minimalism

Post by Atlas »

1. I use software to control access to internet. I can only access internet at certain time of the day.

2. I have modified the hosts files in my computer to ban websites completely from my computer. Most popular websites are just distracting time wasters. I only want websites that contain useful content. If something does not improve my life, I remove it.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I use Feedly for every blog I follow. Much better than going to each site individually to check for updates. I usually open it once a day and read the interesting stuff.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

RFS wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 am
I'm currently reading Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport. If you feel like your relationship with digital technology (email, text messaging, consuming content online, etc.) is not perfect, I heartily recommend it.
Digital Minimalism was good and complements Deep Work nicely.

Newport was on Dan Harris's 10% Happier podcast today. They discussed the book as well as other related topics. Definitely worth a listen.