Affluent Homeless

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
Ego

Re: Affluent Homeless

Post by Ego » Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 am

I was shocked when I saw the $50b valuation for WeWork. While I like the concept, I never really understood why someone would pay serious money for something that could be had for free or cheap from a dozen alternatives.

Are they really selling a solution to loneliness?

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/ ... ibe-wework

Loneliness is pervasive, particularly among younger people. We’re moving across the country, ripping ourselves away from social networks that can take years to construct. We’re delaying marriage and kids, or skipping them entirely. We’re working all the time, often alone, outside the confines of a traditional office and without the camaraderie of coworkers.

Capitalism abhors a vacuum, and into this collective social void has stepped a fleet of companies and entrepreneurs selling an end to social isolation. Over the past decade, on-demand connection has become both a big business and a powerful marketing opportunity. From co-living apartments to coworking spaces to apps that help facilitate human connection, there is a lot of investment and infrastructure being built around services that help humans bond with other humans.

EdithKeeler

Re: Affluent Homeless

Post by EdithKeeler » Thu May 09, 2019 4:19 am

These pod companies are basically boarding houses. Without the kindly landlady fixing breakfast and dinner. The cost is so crazy to me.