Millenial Homelessness?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Millenial Homelessness?

Post by TopHatFox »

I saw an article the other day about millennial homelessness. Damn, millennials have been hit hard. Stats like 25% of homeless people are millennials. Student debt plays a huge role in it too, and majoring in shitty degrees they were told by everyone would be good. Not having a college degree at all hurts even more.

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/co ... id=2249931

Thoughts on millenial homelessness?

Bankai

Re: Millenial Homelessness?

Post by Bankai »

Millenials are more than 25% of adult population though.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

None really. I don't know any (homeless ones). What would be interesting is digging into the causes. Unemployment is at near historical lows across all demographics. Wages are rising, and fastest for the lowest earners. Are homeless millennials concentrated in very HCOL areas where the homeless tend to congregate? I imagine it is a mix of conditions and behavior at the root of it, but I'm not so interested as to make a research project out of it.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Hm, do millennials have an unrealistic view of being an adult?

Living in a college, mountain town, the cost of living is high with low wages. People often have multiple jobs and shared living situations, whether attending uni or a young adult (or even older!). I do notice that many have a sense of entitlement and desire for things, just like elsewhere but a little different (i.e., boutique environmentalism). At least here, being homeless would be by choice. (And there is some of that too. It seems that substance abuse and/or mental illness would be the salient factors.)

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

All I know is, my personal experience with millennials is that they are doing great. Everyone I know was prudent with loans and got good jobs.

My cynical side says the media plays this up too much. And I also read not long ago that average student debt for millennials is only about $28k. The kabillions in loans that the media often likes to talk about seems to be an outlier. I know one millennial who had a big loan ($100k) to get thru pharmacy school, but 5 years out, it’s paid off. Three I know in that age group had zero loans—thru grad school—and one additional one, his dad has the loan and is paying it. Others are probably in line with the average. Jobs include teacher, physical therapist, civil service, computer dude, pharmacist, sales rep at IBM, ad sales.

It occurs to me that I was essentially homeless for a couple years after college—I lived on a friend’s couch for a few months, and lived in my dad’s condo for a couple months after he got married and moved in with my step mom. I didn’t FEEL homeless.

Jean

Post by Jean »

My impression is that the proportion of people left behind is increasing. Maybe the economy becomes less tolerant of outlier.
It means that even if the situation for those who already are in the workforce, or those who manage to get in is getting better, there is a larger proportion of young who never enter it after university.
That's my impression. I'm probably biased because I couldn't find a job with an engineer degree and fluency in three languages. I had to work unrelated job that were only getting me further from an engineering, and hadn't I got an opportunity to get FI really quick, I would probably be dead now.

Frita

Post by Frita »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:56 pm

It occurs to me that I was essentially homeless for a couple years after college—I lived on a friend’s couch for a few months, and lived in my dad’s condo for a couple months after he got married and moved in with my step mom. I didn’t FEEL homeless.
Perhaps we need to examine what homeless means. EdithKeeler, I wouldn’t consider that as homeless. You had safe places to stay, knew where you were crashing each night, and moved on when necessary/able. I would consider it a transition period.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

. I would consider it a transition period.
Me, too. I just wonder if we’re not playing with definitions sometimes, in the media.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

I've rather enjoyed my periods of homelessness. Sometimes having to live somewhere feels like a hassle.

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

All click bait. Stop supporting these websites, who steal your time . Fucking good for nothing Journalist.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I just realized the linked article is almost 4 years old. A lot has happened in 4 years.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Frita

Post by Frita »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:37 pm
Me, too. I just wonder if we’re not playing with definitions sometimes, in the media.
Bingo, the media’s dramatic spin attracts people’s attention.