Europe Longer Term for US Citizen

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Freedom_2018

Europe Longer Term for US Citizen

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Hi,

Over the past couple of years, I've had this idea simmering in my head (mostly on the back burner) but of late it has moved more to the front and center.

I think it would be pretty cool to live in Europe for a year or two and see how we like it....basically be gone long enough to feel a bit of a reverse culture shock if you will on return. We've done stretches of 5 months at a time before but would like to be gone longer.

The schengen stay limit has always been a restriction but using the few non-schengen countries and the UK, I can stitch a 12 month stay in Europe. I could also repeat that and do a 2 year or longer stay.

What I am curious is that do immigration folks (schengen and non-schengen) frown upon someone who has not returned to their own country in a couple of years and on examining my entry/exit stamps could easily see that I am trying to hang around Europe long term? I don't want to be lumped in with the backpacking hippy crowd (not that there is anything wrong with them) by the powers that be.

Thanks,
M

Mister Imperceptible

Re: Europe Longer Term for US Citizen

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Shouldn’t Europe be pleased that you are spending dollars there? It’s not like you are asking for free food, shelter, and healthcare.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

I hope so but the 90/180 schengen restrictions pretty much limit the time one can spend in most of Europe combined (except for a few Eastern European nations that are not schengen).

One argument one might say for wishing for a breakup of the EU and correspondingly schengen zone ..ha ha.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

They may ask questions.
If you are causasian and don't look like a hipster backpacker you may get a lot more leeway though, those who are closely watched are middle eastern, africans and asians.ù
Europe is not as strict as the USA with their limits, but clear workarounds will likely be noticed.
I would suggest you look into student visas, college in italy/spain is ridiculously cheap and you have no obligations to attend classes.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 pm
Shouldn’t Europe be pleased that you are spending dollars there? It’s not like you are asking for free food, shelter, and healthcare.
As mentioned above, we are not as strict as the USA, but the reasoning is the same as to why american customs will not let you in the country after you have spent more than 180 visa-less days in a year, even if non consecutive

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

With the UK leaving schengen, you could spend time in the UK up to 6 months whilst your schengen stay cools off. There's nothing wrong with not returning home. Don't forget France also permits US citizens an extra 90 days over the schengen limit, so explore schengen area, finishing in France, then head to the UK (post brexit) followed by eastern nations and possibly Russia before returning to EU?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Vegan nomad chick on youtube is an american who traveled around europe full-time. She talks about how she made it work wrt the visa in some of her videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSIbxT ... 5T42t-3xRA

chenda

Post by chenda »

You might be entitled to an EU passport if your grand/parents were born in an EU country ?

Paula

Post by Paula »

vexed87 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 am
Don't forget France also permits US citizens an extra 90 days over the schengen limit, so explore schengen area, finishing in France
Is this true? I've searched online and have been unable to find any details that the 90/180 rule is different for France.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

@Seppia - yes studying etc would be an option but then I am a stickler for rules in the sense that if I applied for a student visa, I would indeed be a student...might be an interesting option if I really want to get my Spanish/Italian into top notch form. Right now I am just happy ordering food and asking for directions :-).

From feedback I've received I have a fairly 'international' face...so while I clearly don't look white (born in India but then my mom is from Mizoram which makes her look Chinese/Burmese..since ethnically her people are from there and my dad being from Kashmir has fair and sharp features). So hopefully the visage is not a problem. I just try to appear like a 'gentleman' tourist rather than say this guy (which btw is what my wanderlust spirit is more like and what I am going to do eventually damn it...amazing videos and attitude too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wAPztOO2U

@jennypenny - thank you for the link, I will check out some more of her videos. I think some months ago I saw a video of hers commenting about how she felt about returning to the US after being overseas for an extended period. It did resonate with me quite a bit. Feels a bit strange that now that I got my US citizenship in 2017 (have been in the country since 1998 working, studying, working again), I am looking to spend more time overseas. If I had been born in this country, I think I would have been able to begin my wanderings at least a decade earlier. Oh well...I am very thankful though for how everything turned out. Warren Buffet is right about being born in the US and winning the ovarian lottery!

@chenda - unfortunately no such luck. Even my partner who is of Irish origin found out that it was her great grandparents who came over...so no angle to get an Irish passport either :-(

@Paula - I haven't come across it either but nomadic matt and some folks on Rick Steve's forum are mentioning it. Seems like Denmark might have a similar option?...Oh well another rabbit hole for me to go into and see if I can find any valuable nuggets!

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blog ... n-90-days/

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel ... nce-and-us

For 2019 the plans are to be in the UK for a 2-3months, walk the Camino Portuguese, stay in Lisbon/Porto and other towns for a bit to get a sense for Portugal and then southern Spain in the winter. Beyond that is open for now.

henrik

Post by henrik »

vexed87 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 am
With the UK leaving schengen, /.../ then head to the UK (post brexit)
The UK has never been part of the Schengen area. Some non-EU-members are though. For the OP's tactical planning, it's important to distinguish between Europe, the EU and the Schengen area. Brexit should have little effect on a US citizen for what the OP is considering.

FRx

Post by FRx »

non-lucrative visa for Spain?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

@henrik, oops, you're right! :oops:

Jean

Post by Jean »

Go to marroco to renew your Schengen visa?

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

@FRx - yes that is also an option,,,though at this point I would still like to move countries every few months. Maybe once I have a better feel for a country/community I could go that route for Spain or Portugal etc. or perhaps I will then be interested in long term bike touring which will then be going in a different direction. I did like Spain quite a bit and this fall I will get to experience Portugal.

@Jean - The 90/180 would still apply.

From what I gathered some, the following Non Schengen countries will allow US Citizens for X days:

Georgia - 365 days
Bulgaria - 90/180 days
Albania - 365 days
Romania - 90/180 days
Russia - 180 days (probably US Immigration wouldn't like that on returning)
Cypress - 90/180
Croatia - 90/180

Other non european countries

Mexico - 180 days (but easy out and right back in I hear)
Panama - like Mexico
Argentina - 90 days
Chile - 90 days
Costa Rica - 90 days
Taiwan - 90 days
Cambodia - 30 days renewable
Japan - 90 days
South Africa - 90 days
Botswana - 90 days
Nepal - 90 days for $100 also extendable I think (this would be good for doing a Everest Base Camp trek and Annapurna Trek...something on the cards for next year at this point)

So seems like quite a few options exist to stitch a longer term plan. Now if the EU were to disband...options would exponentially increase.

JuliusFC

Post by JuliusFC »

@Freedom_2018

Croatia will (unfortunately for long-term European travelers...) most likely be in the Schengen Area next year.

Also don't forgot Ireland, Moldova, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Ukraine as non-Schengen countries in which to stay. All allow 90-day stays for Americans and Canadians with various restrictions. (There are more but those come to mind right off the bat.)

You might find the following useful. I've only used the Canadian one; can't vouch for the accuracy of the American one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requ ... s_citizens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requ ... n_citizens

chenda

Post by chenda »

Another possibility might be Jordan - EU citizens can stay there up to 6 months (subject to an HIV test) - maybe US citizens can too ? It's well connected to Europe (easyJet fly Aqaba - London Gatwick twice a week)

sky

Post by sky »

The Turkish coast is a good non-Schengen winter destination.

I think your biggest challenge is finding decent weather in winter, in Europe, outside of the Schengen zone.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

@JuliusFC - Yes, those countries are considerations too. Thanks for the Wiki link..a very handy way to look at the list.

@chenda and sky - Might be. Though purely from a self preservation perspective I am more reluctant to travel to some of those countries especially under current geopolitical status at home and abroad since I am not employed by anyone. In an employment scenario I could always explain to a somewhat hostile immigration officer on returning that my company had sent me to country X for a conference, selling some servers/widgets what have you.

But as a purely self financed non-white American citizen in my mind I hear the snap of latex gloves as they take me to a side room for 'deeper' questioning.

Maybe I am being a bit paranoid (and I likely am) but I think I will start with erring on the side of caution (especially since there are so many other choices) and then spread my wings as I gain more confidence, information and experience.

Cold weather does not bother me. My least favorite season is summer (heat) and spring (allergies). Though a grey, gloomy, Seattleish weather (at least 9 mos of the year) is definitely not my preference. But hopefully I will be immersed in enough novelty and variety that I won't notice - at least in the initial year/s.