And the award for most anti-ERE family goes to...

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
jennypenny

Re: And the award for most anti-ERE family goes to...

Post by jennypenny »

Or their kids will borrow big for college and continue the cycle.

That's the biggest problem for me with the story. The parents seem able to white-knuckle their way through it but they are teaching their kids all the wrong lessons (and their kids will most likely face worse headwinds financially as adults). We've discussed the issue of how to raise kids before -- whether it's best to do the ERE brainwashing from the beginning or try to raise the kids 'normally' and then teach them ERE principles when they are older. I've always argued for the former because it helps build good habits as well as realistic expectations. It's also helpful when the kids are onboard and help to support/encourage parents to make better financial decisions.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

This piece sounds fake to me. I work in insurance claims, and generally you can’t get a position or a promotion if you have credit that’s THAT bad. We handle a ton of money and the temptation would be way too great to embezzle.
Last edited by EdithKeeler on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

That misses the point, as the money for food stamps has to come from somewhere, namely, you and me. Leaving aside the issue of the people swiping their EBT cards with one hand whole holding an iPhone in the other.
Gah. With all due respect, this stereotype really bugs me. “All poor people need to do is get rid of the cellphone.”

I just today was in a work meeting about claim payments and communication with claimants. Many, many of our claimants don’t have email and don’t have bank accounts. We currently issue paper checks to them, which they often have to take to check cashing places, which takes a big chunk of money. Many of them don’t get paid by check or direct deposit (because you know, you have to have a bank account), and more and more of them are getting paid by putting money on a debit card.

Most of them also don’t have computers at home, or access to computers. So the only way they have to make calls, check debit card balances, receive documents (many don’t even have adequate reliable addresses to get paper mail), etc is via their cell phone.

In this day and age, a cell phone—MOST ESPECIALLY if you’re poor—is an absolute necessity.

Jason

Post by Jason »

It's a Dave Ramsey call in printed form. Except they didn't lease the dogs.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I had to stop reading that article, what a disaster.