Frugal Downside - All my stuff is old

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
classical_Liberal

Re: Frugal Downside - All my stuff is old

Post by classical_Liberal »

Peanut wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 pm
I think what’s different about the way people live today is that there is a compulsion for everything to be “done” right away.
I find myself with this attitude sometimes as well. Though, I think it's only tangentially related to consumerism. People live such busy lives, dual income FT, maybe with kids or a social life on top of it. It often just "feels" like there will never be time if it doesn't get done... now. Of course, people wouldn't need to work so much if consumption were reduced, hence the relationship. Obviously the "just get it done" attitude is more expensive, and generally much less enjoyable. Hence adding to the cycle of work more to earn more, then needing to vacate more from life because what could have been and enjoyable project ends up a rush-rush-rush, get it done while we have time, hassle.

Interestingly, I think the OP idea of shit getting old and dysfunctional is simply the other side of this same coin, at least to a degree. Instead of rushing out to purchase a quick fix, since we lack time, people just "live with" what we have because it's less time consuming than finding a better solution. This version has some advantages, the main one being less consumption. OTOH, with free time better solutions could probably be created with very minimal consumption added with bit of value creation (ie refurbish classics, DIY solutions, etc).

This is not to say having additional time will automagically fix the problem. I think most have been acculturated to this for so long that it takes concerted effort to get out of this mindset.

Toska2

Re: Frugal Downside - All my stuff is old

Post by Toska2 »

I consider the stuff I own to be a forest. A properly managed forest is harvested (sold, gotten rid of) to maximize value. This allows new growth that is faster, newer and better. Some trees grow slow, some grow fast, I calculate how much I own and replace (or save money earmarked for it) a percentage of it.

Say I have $3000 in clothes (-20°F to 100°F). I expect a six year life span out of everything. I buy $250 in small replacements and save $250 for big ticket items. I don't go until I'm in a tunic made from a bedsheet to go clothes shopping.

Somethings never wear out to garbage but fail to work great. I have that trouble with tools and furniture. I'm a bachelor so better furniture is never farther than a craigslist ad.