A retirement in prison

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Jason

Re: A retirement in prison

Post by Jason »

EMJ wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:20 pm
In April 2018, a blind man with one foot robbed a bank in Austin, Texas. This is a heist story—but unlike any you’ve ever read.

https://magazine.atavist.com/the-desper ... stin-texas
That was a good read. Thanks.

ChickenCoop

Post by ChickenCoop »

@EMJ, I really enjoyed the read too, Thanks. It certainly makes me realize how lucky we are in Australia regarding healthcare.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

Interestingly the health care options did seem available to him. The problem was accepting that he needed help and finding out how to get it.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

Jason wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 am
That was a good read. Thanks.
I have to agree.

Jason

Post by Jason »

zork97 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:33 pm
I have to agree.
You might also like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... b22f6d7cd8

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Campitor wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:38 pm
There are monastic religious communities that will give you room and board as long as you're able to serve in a productive capacity.
I tried this during the summer vacations. Had a pleasant experience so would do it again when I could free up enough consequtive days. It is volunteer work, so you get enough time to figure out those tasks which are suited to your temperament and find challenging.

Other than running minute errands, my job was getting people who came to the temple only for sightseeing, interested into philosophy. I'm not that good with interpersonal verbal communication so it was a learning experience.

I was thinking I would eventually get bored but the reading material in the library kept me hooked the entire time. I'm baised as avoiding a heartbreak is what I was running away from so anything even slightly better is all flowers and lotuses... But hey, still better than prison. Internet was $0.09 per GB. Plus the sanctified food was sumptuous.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

Nope. No way. We can put a number on our FIRE or ERE goals... But I cannot put a number on my freedom.

FRx

Post by FRx »

Disability gets no honorary mention here?
When I worked in San Diego a very healthy percentage of my patients were on state disability ranging from diabetes, back pain, obesity, hypertension, migraines, carpal tunnel, major depression, fibromyalgia, and arthritis. Many used the same lawyers since I had to converse back and forth with their lawyers as their doctor. Good income, good insurance, disability passes, and not too hard to get approved if you can get past the initial and often automatic denial.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

@up
Do we miss part of the story? Like past service (police, military, firefighting) experience? Winning some crazy lawsuit (like drinking too hot coffee from McDonald)?

PS. This isn't about a young dog trying to game the system, but more about having some more options after quitting the job force at 40-50 with deteriorated health and the idea of having an additional 100-200 USD for meds would be great. Yea, I'm located in different part of the world, but USA government giving away money sounded too good to avoid posting... Yea, if they don't claw for assets now, government will be smarter in 20 years due to ageing society.

nomadscientist

Post by nomadscientist »

@Jacob
"With no savings, a pension that is too small, and a desire/inability to impose on family, some Japanese commit a minor felony to enjoy life behind bars.

"https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-47033704

"Since Japan is likely leading the developed world trend, we might expect to see something similar."

Japan leads the world in "desire not to impose on [others]."

There's also a competing trend to replace prison with house arrest enforced by technologies, outsourcing the costs of prison to the inmate.