More men than women interested in FIRE/ERE?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
numbersmom

Re: More men than women interested in FIRE/ERE?

Post by numbersmom »

I decided to jump in and post because I am a women and a data scientist and a lurker on these forums.

I have no idea whether I am representative of most women, but I read these forums all the time. What I love about the ERE forum is that I tend to get a new perspective on issues that makes me think outside the box. A lot of smart people post here and I love to hear their ideas. I especially like posts that value systems or optimization approaches. I rarely feel like the forums are misogynistic but every once in a while a thread will take a turn that way. I also love the fact that there really aren't any trolls. Just interesting discussion.

However, I'm not interested in FIRE per se. First of all, like EdithKeeler, I'm too old to retire young. Also, I spent 15 years as a SAHM and now I have a new career, one that is very hard to do without working for a large corporate. Many women that are in my socio economic class spent at least some of their time at home with the kids when they were young and are now working on second careers.

Also, these forums tend to have posts from (mostly) men who either are not married or married( in a relationship) with no kids. That's not a complaint but they see the world very differently than me and the strategies that work for them would not necessarily work for me.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

CS wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 pm
You are confusing two fundamentally different things - are women more interested in FIRE and why are women posting less.

The misogyny present on this board sometimes is beyond appalling. It is not okay. As a woman, I'll participate sometimes, but as self-protection, I'm not going to spend too much time here.
I almost posted this earlier. I decided I wasn't willing to argue the point. It's a problem and divisive.

I also assume some women avoid disclosing their gender, to avoid the possible hassle.

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

Starting to look like The Round Table, with all these white knights virtue signaling in this thread
Last edited by thegreatvoid on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Imminent thread nose-dive in 3...2....1

:lol:

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

thegreatvoid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:32 pm
Starting to look like The Round Table, with all these white knights virtual signaling in this thread
Or maybe people are getting fed up and disgusted with nonsense?

"Wait, someone's got a valid point and I disagree but I don't know what to say, let me play the 'virtue signalling' card!"