Best cubicle space heater?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
OTCW

Re: Best cubicle space heater?

Post by OTCW »

I'd fire anyone who brought a space heater to work. No questions asked.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

why

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

@OCTW Read this on another forum :

Talking shop with another fellow in IT and he was getting ripped on over the winter about energy costs.
Now he is a bit of an Aspi so he really wanted to know why the energy draw had changed to the tune of an additional 3000 per month in electric. Was it the computers? Nope, he traced down the usage and power time on via the monitoring software he has. If anything computers, servers and monitors were more efficient. So he takes a trip around the building checking workstations for about 550 areas. He’s an Aspi so he had spreadsheets defining every electrical device right down to the models of the surge protectors and desk calculator power draws. During those evening rounds he was making he sat at a desk and noticed that his b~~~~ were on fire. Looking under the desk he sees a heater under the desk at this woman’s workstation and its it pointing right at his b~~~~.
Now keep in mind that the HVAC is by law to be maintained at 72 deg. daytime and 62 deg in the evening.
Being inquisitive he checked every woman’s workstation and found 87 heaters under their desks. He then checked that yes indeed these women ordered all these heaters on the company dime. They also were the cause of the excess power usage and checked that it was the women who on the down-low were ordering and using the heaters in disregard of the company policy which was in place to maintain the HVAC balancing.
He put all this in a 27 page report (he let me see it) which explained where the additional energy cost was going and he summed up that this should be looked at as an energy savings point, and a green initiative. He then emailed it to the division supervisor in accounting (woman) and BCC’ed it to the CFO and CEO.
The s~~~ impacted the rotary oscillator. Five women fired for mis-appropriation of funds, all the heaters were removed.
Every woman in the building wants him dead. He said he doesn’t really care but it makes getting work done difficult. That’s what he cares about. The solving of problems. Which is why he is a treasured resource at that company by the management. Not to mention that his technical documentation in coding and his coding itself is f~~~ing amazing. I often pay him for work on the side.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Damn, so much space heater hate. It's a good thing my department is like 3 ppl. Corporate really really sucks, huh? Hurray MPA.

@aspi guy, yeah he sounds like an asshole making net happiness less without finding a solution that works for those 60 ppl.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Like changing the law?

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Not sure if he really is the asshole when 60 people illegally used company funds to purchase an item that wasn't allowed by the company...

Just because I wouldn't be going through the effort the guy did go through doesn't absolve the others of their behaviour.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

$3000 per month is not an insignificant cost. If the winter season lasts 3 to 5 months, that is an additional 9k to 15k per year. And this is only 1 point of waste. Everyone is always perfectly fine spending someone else's money. I wonder how those 60 employees would feel if they had $50 subtracted from their paychecks each month to offset the cost of electricity. I bet they would start wearing sweaters/fleeces.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Also: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/02 ... paces.html

THF, when you've implemented some of this, I want to see pictures. :lol:

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

@vexed, there are some interesting links from that page, in particular talks about keeping the temperature down to 16c and supplementing that with local heat when you are stationary.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

If your office computer is the tower variety rather than a laptop, start by putting that under the desk. Look at the wattage it draws and you'll realize it doubles as an elaborate company-approved space heater.