Best cubicle space heater?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Best cubicle space heater?

Post by TopHatFox »

I'm thinking of getting a little cubicle space heater. I absolutely hate how stupidly cold offices are, even as the temperature is a cozy 70-80 outside. Nothing destroys my productivity like being cold, especially hands and feet. I won't be paying the electricity, but I don't want to fry the circuit breaker or burn the place down, either.

Got any suggestions? Something with a wooden color palette that is quiet and can heat a 5'x5' feet cube works.

Campitor

Re: Best cubicle space heater?

Post by Campitor »

Instead of a space heater how about a warm desk mat? It’s less conspicuous than a heater and will warm your hands directly: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XJZB3N/re ... dCb2E0B8ZJ

There are also heated chair pads: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_s ... DD3APZ1FIO

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

A brown sweater is practically silent though I suppose you can get some pretty loud designs if you want to channel your inner JP Sears. Like this, https://www.etsy.com/listing/486994746/ ... ith-hoodie

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

There are some interesting ideas here: https://richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

jacob wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:51 pm
Like this, https://www.etsy.com/listing/486994746/ ... ith-hoodie
:mrgreen:
The force is strong with this one, I think he would win our thermostat wars.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Although I dig the medieval-jedi look and a heated keyboard sounds cool, these are like $40:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/spa ... er-Reviews

The next time I go to Ren Fair though...

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

TopHatFox wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:37 pm
I'm thinking of getting a little cubicle space heater. I absolutely hate how stupidly cold offices are, even as the temperature is a cozy 70-80 outside. Nothing destroys my productivity like being cold, especially hands and feet. I won't be paying the electricity, but I don't want to fry the circuit breaker or burn the place down, either.

Got any suggestions? Something with a wooden color palette that is quiet and can heat a 5'x5' feet cube works.
Long underwear? Useful when it's OMG-cold outside too. I don't know if it's just me, but as long as my arms and legs are warm, my extremeties tend to be warm as well.

A space heater... I can't help but imagine a little black plastic box that -as soon as you plug it in- starts spewing bits of dying polar bears all over the office. Sometimes it spews out wood chips from threatened rain forest trees; sometimes a little desert sand too.

I wish I was manly enough to do the whole ren-fair/jedi boheme look. It looks comfy and palette-wise very pleasing on the eye. Don't think it'll work out until I pack 15 more kilos of muscle to ward off unsolicited public stabbing.
Last edited by FBeyer on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

FBeyer wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:27 am
A space heater... I can't help but imagine a little black plastic box that -as soon as you plug it in- starts spewing bits of dying polar bears all over the office. Sometimes it spews out wood chips from threatened rain forest trees; sometimes a little desert sand too.
The evilness is compounded with sacrificial kittens if the office is AC cooled too. It would probably be futile to use a space heater in this scenario, as the AC will just go into overdrive.

+1 on the thermal underwear and a jumper (crew necks look plenty smart over an office shirt and under a blazer jacket too). Wooly socks for feet if still feel cold. Warmer boots can be had too.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

You can also just wear what I wear: https://www.refrigiwear.com/product/men ... 440rnavlar

Seriously though ... the semi-humid 63F environment that your office space is trying to replicate is what the original wool suit was designed for, i.e. business professional. Even if it's madness, it's at least historically coherent.

PS: Is it possible to just engage in thermostat wars? Open a window?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

That's a good point on the air conditioner over-compensating. So I need something that's just small enough for my cubicle and that's it. If it's too big then it'll get ruined by the AC.

Guys, I don't think you understand, IDGAF about the environment, the world is going to hell and this hot-air blower thing will make me comfy so that I can accumulate cash and file TPS reports in a cozy cabin-cubicle.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Do push-ups every 30 min. Build those pecs. :)

C40

Post by C40 »

I also vote for wearing more clothes.

If you're going to get a space heater, forget about that plastic shit on consumer reports. The standard for durable space heaters for small spaces (or, you know, farm buildings full of dairy cows) are "Milk crate heaters":

It looks like this same design is made by many different companies. Or, made in one big factory in China and sold under different brands. IDK which. Just try to buy one that is actually made well.

Now, there are benefits to having a warm jacket/sweater/hoodie at work. One of those is that you can take that to meetings or other office locations much easier than toting around your milk crate heater and looking insane.
Last edited by C40 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

TopHatFox wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 am
Guys, I don't think you understand, IDGAF about the environment, the world is going to hell and this hot-air blower thing will make me comfy so that I can accumulate cash and file TPS reports in a cozy cabin-cubicle.
Did you take my stapler?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I like it cold and space heaters stink.

If anyone like me works near you, facilities will be alerted to the fire hazard. They won't even bother discussing it with you. Space heaters are usually against code in office buildings.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I feel like the student assistant next to me would just ask for one too...and my boss would be like: "damn, I should've thought of that. Don't tell HR lol."

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Why not just buy a zip up fleece? http://a.co/d/8OPDtki

I know you don't GAF about the environment but the thing about space heaters is:
  1. The body part closest to the heater is boiling but the rest of you is cold because physics - tiny space heater can't compete against AC unit designed to cool the entire building.
  2. Cold air sinks and heat rises - you'll be warming the ceiling instead of you.
  3. It's inconvenient to take a space heater with you when you leave your cube to go to meetings, lunch, or bathroom breaks.
  4. Companies may ban them for obnoxiously silly reasons such as electricity costs and fire hazard potential.
  5. Coworkers who like the cold will complain about the heat in your cube or the heat leaking out of your cube.
  6. THF's mating potential drops as his skin starts to resemble dry bark from the moisture loss caused by the combo AC/space heater exposure.
A fleece is superior because:
  • You can self regulate your comfort quickly by zipping/unzipping to the desired amount.
  • A fleece will provide a barrier against the natural heat sinks that suck the warmth out of you such as your desktop.
  • They don't use electricity nor are they a fire hazard - companies don't ban fleeces unless they are made out of fur and you work for PETA.
  • You don't trip over fleeces because they don't have power cords.
  • They are portable - you can take them to meetings, trips to the cafeteria and bathroom, or outside for lunch when it gets a bit chilly.
  • They don't suck the moisture out of your skin like a space heater.
I work in IT and the temperature is silly cold because of computer equipment and fat peeps burning up if temps exceed 70 degrees. I keep a fleece at work and take it home over the weekends for a wash. I had a space heater until I realized how inefficient they are in open spaces such as cubes. A fleece is a superior solution. ;)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I agree with everyone else. Use more clothes. Do squats and burpees.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

This plastic contraption shooting hot air at me underneath the desk sure is nice. Comfort & productivity is up 8-)

I may get some fingerless gloves though. Alpaca or some-such.

This is almost as good as occasionally drinking Water on the job!

I also got an Xbox One, 4K edition, $400. Oh no people, I'm slipping to the dark side. Shooting HD zombies and shit. :twisted:

C40

Post by C40 »

you are a naughty, naughty boy.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Did you at least get it for sale with a free game on black Friday? ;P

I'm still waiting for the Xbox One X to drop a decent bit lower, might not be until the next generation of consoles release.