Please suggest books and podcasts of grounded, happy people?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Please suggest books and podcasts of grounded, happy people?

Post by TopHatFox »

This one stems from a thread started earlier today. I’m thinking of adding a fresh crop of happy yet grounded content creators into my life. What better way to vet them than by the smart people here at the ERE forums. I’m looking for podcasts, books, or videos from people that emphasize at least one of simple living, compassion, gratitude, anti narcissism, manual skills, outdoor activities, prudent financial planning, etc. The goal being to expose myself to positive, gratitude-rich people and thereby not just become what I read, but feel what I read (in this case experience more feelings of appreciation and positivity). So the IPCC report is off the list. :lol:

Two examples would be Radical Personal Finance (financial planning) and John Zahorian (thru-hiking)

Any other suggestions?

BRUTE

Re: Please suggest books and podcasts of grounded, happy people?

Post by BRUTE »

Jocko Podcast

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

+100 brute

Know the darkness so you can appreciate the light.

The works of Jacob and Jocko have had the most impact on my life by a mile.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

BRUTE wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:39 am
Jocko Podcast
Had a look at his 'about' page and omg this gut wants to sell you stuff... jocko white tea anyone?

Obviously it doesnt mean his podcast is not good, although it fails THF's 'legit people don't sell' test.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Swami Sarvapriyananda

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

Dude , you live in the capital of Latin America. Go out, dance some salsa , some bachata , enjoy the sun, go kitesurfing, biking whatever...
so many possibilities.

Podcasts are for people like me , that live in a place where the sun doesn´t shine for 6 months and depressed commuters.

Envision a dream- ERE day. No work, . what would you do,...

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I’ll listen to a few of the Jocko podcasts and see what I think. At face value, it looks like he emphasizes perseverance, strength, and minimalism. That’s cool, and I already have a lot of that.

Any suggestions on people emphasizing building community, empathy, and belonging?

Those builders on Youtube sound great. I’d love some of their channel names.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The two podcasts I listen to weekly, and have listened to every episode of are:

Iron Radio - http://ironradio.org/ - Science based discussion of exercise and nutrition, with an emphasis on being strong. Run by a nutrition professor and bodybuilder with decades of experience, co-hosted by an experienced strength coach and other various academics. They also help the listener learn how to discern between real sources of information and BS marketing fluff.

J Brown Yoga Talks - https://www.jbrownyoga.com/yoga-talks-podcast/ - A realist who understands spirituality AND integrates it within a relatively normal life. He also examines modern power structures via the lens of the yoga microcosm. Very astute perspective on gurus and the perils of abdicating your power to another.

For me, these are both entertainment.

To really learn about either topic, I had to leave my house and pay for instruction in person. I used to be very reluctant to do this, and I short changed myself as a result. In the case of lifting, I wasted my highest potential decade on stupid programs and poor eating. I'll never come close to what might have been. I also have permanent injury that could have been avoided.

If you're really interested in something, go find the place people do it in Miami. Drop a couple grand to learn from the experts and integrate yourself within their community. It will be life changing. As a bonus, the other people who have reached the point of paying for instruction, are often very high quality.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Stahlmann wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:12 am
Care to elaborate?
it's Good.

humans are right - Jocko is selling his brand and his mugs and his tea. that is annoying. otherwise a great podcast.

Optimal_Solution

Post by Optimal_Solution »

I have found the Art of Manliness blog and podcasts to be edifying, interesting, and inspiring.

Many of the themes of the blog seem to be in the Judeo-Christian tradition, which may not be everyone's thing. But Brett does draw on a wide variety of sources in a way that seems open minded and exploratory. Like all sources, consider the material being presented and pick out the gems.

You may want to go back and read some of the long, older articles. I feel like the blog hit it's quality peak about 4 years ago. Or maybe that's just when I most needed to hear his message.

The blog has had a huge impact on me by helping me slowly develop a philosophy and confidence towards life. Also, they have a great video on how to carve a turkey.

Edit: AoM covers a variety of topics: relationships, health, religion, philosophy, manners, history, myth, how-to, strength, careers, etc. The overarching theme is tools to becoming a better man.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Theanimal once suggested you read The Wisdom of Insecurity. Did you get a chance to read it?

Jason

Post by Jason »

Listening to grounded and happy people makes me want to bash in their skulls.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@jenny, I'm amazed you remember that nearly 3 years later.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Something You Should Know and Hidden Brain are my favorites.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Although not uniformly happy, I have found garden essayists to be the most grounded of writers.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

chenda

Post by chenda »

David Godman. He went out to India as a young man in the 1970s and is still there. Unlike the cliche of western spiritual seekers going east, he is totally grounded, unpretentious and straightforward. He is a great storyteller as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBcqQG ... v6gJXP-U9A

C40

Post by C40 »

For light/fluffy watching, you'd probably enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbaGn5 ... gIWAHcrJKA

I've lately been feeling a need to listen to light, happy, positive conversations. I've listened to so much informative, educational, instructional stuff that I'm sort of over it right now. I'm currently spending a lot of time sitting around at home and am missing out on some aspects of 'normal' socializing. (particularly, group conversations, as most of my interactions are 1-1).

Anyways...

You may also like this podcast" Armchair Expert by Dax Shepard These folks seem quite grounded, happy, and self-aware. They are also very much L.A. people talking to other L.A. people, but, it can still be good.

Others:
- Harry Browne (both his books, particularly "How I found freedom in an unfree world", and his radio show. Forget the name but you can find all episodes by googling.
- Chris Ryan gets some really grounded/happy people on his show ("Tangentially Speaking"). I wouldn't say Chris sounds particularly happy.. he definitely shares both happy stuff and curmudgeonly rants.
- Dan Carlin sounds extremely grounded to me, particularly on his "Common Sense" shows. He makes them very rarely though
- The guy that does "The Mating Grounds" podcast with Tucker Max seems very grounded and happy. Can't remember his name. he's basically the science/nerd character for the show, which I think is often a better source of good advice than the "charasmatic asshole" character of Tucker Max. Also one of Tucker's old friends is on the show with him from time to time and seems to be both very grounded and happy.
- The guys that do "The Thomas Jefferson Hour" show both seem quite grounded and happy.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

<trying to escape 4chan, but... don't know what to do with new free time>