Quiz: Do you live in a bubble (elitist)

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
OTCW

Re: Quiz: Do you live in a bubble (elitist)

Post by OTCW »

I got a 45. I've never lived in a neighborhood with college educated neighbors, and I've owned 3 pickups.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

1. Have you lived for more than 15 years in the state you're currently living in?
    • Yes - 0 points
  2. Do you still live less than 300 miles from where you spent the majority of your childhood?
    • Yes - 0 points
  3. As an adult have you ever visited another country? (Not counting Mexico or Canada)
    • Yes - 5 points
  4. Do you speak another language not counting English or Spanish? (Do you know enough to order beer or buy an airplane ticket?)
    • Yes - French. Ca va? Allons chez moi, C’est possible parlez avec Jean? 5 points
  5. Do you read/watch any news on a regular basis from non-US sources?
    • BBC, Al Jazeera, Telemundo, and various European news sources I’m redirected to. 5 points
  6. How many supreme court justices can you name?
    • Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Alito, Sotamayor. 3 points
  7. How many people died in the Holocaust? (half a million, two million, five million, fifteen million, fifty million)
    • 5 million by Deutchland but some say it's 6 million. 5 points
  8. Quick answer: Are you in favor of bombing Agrabah?
    • NO - 5 points
  9. How many names do you recognize? (Steven Pinker, Michael Lewis, Malcolm Gladwell, David Graeber, Thomas Sowell)
    • I'm currently reading “Sense of Style” by Pinker, I’ve read Gladwell and subscribe to his podcast, and I’ve read Thomas Sowell Basic Economics and his various papers and listened to his interviews. 3 points
  10. Which nationality was Kant?
    • Couldn’t say - haven’t had a chance to read any of his works. 0 points
  11. Have you created a spreadsheet since leaving school?
    • Yes - I create spreadsheets frequently. 5 points
  12. What's the first thing that pops into your mind when you hear the word "compound"? (survival, interest, bow, sentence, chemical)
    • Survival but only because of the 1st word in your list was sighted by my peripheral vision. 0 points
  13. Do you exercise regularly? (consistently more than 2 times a week)
    • Yes - I lift weights daily. 5 points
  14. Have you eaten any of the following vegetables during the last week? (kale, rutabaga, shallot, arugula, endive) (score 5 given any)
    • Yes - arugula in salad mix. 5 points
  15. Have you ever chosen to live without a car for more than 2 years?
    • Yes - I parked my car w/o insurance to save money. 5 points
  16. Do you go to church/Do you have any atheist friends? (score 5 is yes to both, otherwise 0)
    • Atheist Friends and I go to church occasionally. 5 points
  17. Have you ever worked in a place where everybody had at least a 4 year degree?
    • Yes - 5 points
  18. Have you or any of your close friends ever been arrested?
    • Yes - 0 points
  19. Have you ever written something (essay, thesis, ... ) that was longer than 4000 words?
    • Yes - 5 points
  20. Have you ever used powerpoint or similar to give a presentation at work?
    • Yes - 5 points

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

@Jacob

I’m looking for a couple clarifications. Have I lived 15 years in the state I currently live in? I have lived here about 25 years total, but only 4 in my present stint. I live about a mile from the location I grew up, but have spent most of my adult life 450 or more miles away.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Ehh... please don't take my little test too seriously. I was just making up stuff that I was sure that my model focus group would mostly fail. My questions aren't calibrated for precision. However, personal/anecdotal experience suggest they're somewhat accurate. Whether anyone scores +/- 20% is irrelevant. You know where you are.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I got a 44. Nailed me. First generation from working class parents.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

And 70 on Jacob’s test.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

41 points. I like my smurf bubble and only wish more kind people shared it. The movie question threw me a bit because I saw "Clash of the Titans" from 1981 on TV rather than "Clash of the Titans" 2010 which is what the survey was asking... decided the 1981 movie didn't count because I don't have it on DVD and only saw it on TV.
11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.
0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.
My parents & grandparents & maternal great-grandparents were college-educated middle-class, but they never achieved the sort of financial success that would put them in upper-middle-class. Paternal great-grandparents were successful cattle ranchers near Madison, Wisconsin, but I doubt they were upper-middle-class.

So am I upper-middle-class? Probably, since retired early from IT career even if current income is extremely low.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

The Jacob test...
Have you lived for more than 15 years in the state you're currently living in?
Yes - 0 points
Do you still live less than 300 miles from where you spent the majority of your childhood?
Yes - 0 points
As an adult have you ever visited another country? (Not counting Mexico or Canada)
Yes - 5 points
Do you speak another language not counting English or Spanish? (Do you know enough to order beer or buy an airplane ticket?)
Yes - German (barely) 5 points
Do you read/watch any news on a regular basis from non-US sources?
BBC. 5 points
How many supreme court justices can you name?
Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Alito, Sotamayor. 3 points
How many people died in the Holocaust? (half a million, two million, five million, fifteen million, fifty million)
5 million. 5 points
Quick answer: Are you in favor of bombing Agrabah?
NO - 5 points
How many names do you recognize? (Steven Pinker, Michael Lewis, Malcolm Gladwell, David Graeber, Thomas Sowell)
One - 1 points
Which nationality was Kant?
German. 5 points
Have you created a spreadsheet since leaving school?
Yes - I create spreadsheets frequently. 5 points
What's the first thing that pops into your mind when you hear the word "compound"? (survival, interest, bow, sentence, chemical)
bow. 0 points
Do you exercise regularly? (consistently more than 2 times a week)
Yes - I go fishing/hiking. 5 points
Have you eaten any of the following vegetables during the last week? (kale, rutabaga, shallot, arugula, endive) (score 5 given any)
Yes - arugula & kale from the garden. 5 points
Have you ever chosen to live without a car for more than 2 years?
No. 0 points
Do you go to church/Do you have any atheist friends? (score 5 is yes to both, otherwise 0)
No & yes. 0 points
Have you ever worked in a place where everybody had at least a 4 year degree?
Yes, consulting engineer's office - 5 points
Have you or any of your close friends ever been arrested?
No (but in-laws & friend's kids have been) - 0 points
Have you ever written something (essay, thesis, ... ) that was longer than 4000 words?
Yes - 5 points
Have you ever used powerpoint or similar to give a presentation at work?
Yes - 5 points

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

25. Child of a european immigrant college professor pretty much puts me in the bubble right off the start given the way the questions were slanted. Interesting. I wouldn't have thought myself as bubbled as I apparently am since I don't feel at home among fancy people. I guess when I went to that rural county fair a couple of years ago, I certainly didn't feel at home at the draft horse pulling competition either. But I did feel right at home among farmers when I lived in Finland.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

OP quiz score: 36

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

Have you lived for more than 15 years in the state you're currently living in?
Yes
Do you still live less than 300 miles from where you spent the majority of your childhood?
No
As an adult have you ever visited another country? (Not counting Mexico or Canada)
Yes
Do you speak another language not counting English or Spanish? (Do you know enough to order beer or buy an airplane ticket?)
Yes
Do you read/watch any news on a regular basis from non-US sources?
Yes

How many supreme court justices can you name?
None. 10 years ago I was able to name all them, but then I completely lost my interest.
How many people died in the Holocaust? (half a million, two million, five million, fifteen million, fifty million)
Official number - close to 6 millions.
Quick answer: Are you in favor of bombing Agrabah?
Absolutely yes! Out of all the places the US military is bombing now that would be my choice #1. ;) Bomb Agrabah (and nothing else)!
How many names do you recognize? (Steven Pinker, Michael Lewis, Malcolm Gladwell, David Graeber, Thomas Sowell)
I recognize all of them but read only 3.
Which nationality was Kant?
German

Have you created a spreadsheet since leaving school?
Yes.
What's the first thing that pops into your mind when you hear the word "compound"? (survival, interest, bow, sentence, chemical)
Chemical, high school chemistry labs.
Do you exercise regularly? (consistently more than 2 times a week)
I hike regularly and, as of lately, bike frequently.
Have you eaten any of the following vegetables during the last week? (kale, rutabaga, shallot, arugula, endive) (score 5 given any)
Yes. Rutabaga
Have you ever chosen to live without a car for more than 2 years?
I did live without a car as a poor single mother, not by choice.

Do you go to church/Do you have any atheist friends? (score 5 is yes to both, otherwise 0)
Yes/yes.
Have you ever worked in a place where everybody had at least a 4 year degree?
No.
Have you or any of your close friends ever been arrested?
Yes, I know quite a few people who have had DUI arrests.
Have you ever written something (essay, thesis, ... ) that was longer than 4000 words?
Yes.
Have you ever used powerpoint or similar to give a presentation at work?
No.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

wouldn't a real test of non-bubbliness involve various points across certain dimensions and measure the distances an individual has spanned across each dimension?

e.g. owning a pickup truck and owning a gun could be bubble, but having owned a pickup truck and a Prius probably isn't. having lived in a <50,000 soul town in Real America might be a bubble, but having lived there and in a 1M+ city might not.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

BRUTE wrote:wouldn't a real test of non-bubbliness involve various points across certain dimensions and measure the distances an individual has spanned across each dimension?
True. For instance, I was far less surprised about the election results than many in my circle of acquaintance, because when I was 14 I developed the practice of hitchhiking away from the realm where every street name had something to do with the first voyage of the Mayflower to a roller skating rink inhabited by slightly older, leather wearing, Led Zeppelin quoting, boys with names like Rex and Ace. Of course, this behavior was likely in part due to the fact that on the occasion of my 13th birthday, I was accompanied by my father to a live theatrical production of "Grease," leading to my subsequent creation of a small piece entitled "Bonaparte Fever", which was a huge hit with my 8th grade Social Studies class, and granted me the opportunity to practice my skills of seduction upon the young Travolta doppelganger whom I cast as the lead. Therefore, as soon as I heard rumor of Ted Nugent as possible Trump running mate, I instantly opened up a small spread-sheet in my brain, and was able to accurately calculate proportion of population with whom I might have smoked pot and entwined tongue on a beach in 1981 vs. the female contingent with whom I leafed through stale copies of fashion magazines while composing highly sophisticated notes, inclusive of phrases such as "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?", at a small table in the library while theoretically doing work for an Independent Study French III class, and I knew Hilary was in some peril.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

3 on the OP's quiz. Very comfortable, with no incentive to change.

I imagine a low score selects against interest in extreme frugality.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

I think both of these questionnaires - @OP's and @jacob's are meant for entertainment and are excellent at that. They do not capture the width of human experiences. For example, when I arrived in the US 22 years ago I stepped into a bubble and never left (except for knowing a few Russians with DUIs on both sides of the pond). However, before that I hitchhiked, used buses, and lived hand-to-mouth. When I answered OP's questionnaire I felt like a schoolgirl - God knows, I studied hard, ask me the right questions. They never did. :)

trfie

Post by trfie »

88 on Jacob's quiz. But not sure of the scoring on a couple, gave myself the 5 for the car (lived in a big city for a few years, I think that counts?). Gave myself 5 for knowing 3 current justices (I think it's enough, also I could name several of the retired, past, and recognized all the other current). Knew Graeber only because someone posted a link on this forum to a recent article.
But I think the religion question scoring is wrong - 5 points only for going to church regularly AND having friends who are atheist? Should be 5 points for having friends who are atheist.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

As for the OP quiz, did anyone else have their significant other take it? I'd be interested to see if anyone has a bigger gap than me and DW. I got a 17, she got a 60.

It was fun to watch her go through it. I thought I knew everything about her, but I guess not. I kept saying things like "you've been in a parade?!" and "hold on, do I know this friend who couldn't get C's in high school?"

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

DW got 59.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

1. Have you lived for more than 15 years in the state you're currently living in?
    • No - 5 points
  2. Do you still live less than 300 miles from where you spent the majority of your childhood?
    • Yes - 0 points
  3. As an adult have you ever visited another country? (Not counting Mexico or Canada)
    • Yes - 5 points
  4. Do you speak another language not counting English or Spanish? (Do you know enough to order beer or buy an airplane ticket?)
    • Yes - 5 points
  5. Do you read/watch any news on a regular basis from non-US sources?
    • Yes - 5 points
  6. How many supreme court justices can you name?
    • 3 - 3 points
  7. How many people died in the Holocaust?
    • Close enough - 5 points
  8. Quick answer: Are you in favor of bombing Agrabah?
    • No - 5 points
  9. How many names do you recognize? (Steven Pinker, Michael Lewis, Malcolm Gladwell, David Graeber, Thomas Sowell)
    • All - 5 points
  10. Which nationality was Kant?
    • Prussian - 5 points
  11. Have you created a spreadsheet since leaving school?
    • Yes - 5 points
  12. What's the first thing that pops into your mind when you hear the word "compound"? (survival, interest, bow, sentence, chemical)
    • Yes - 5 points
  13. Do you exercise regularly? (consistently more than 2 times a week)
    • Yes - 5 points
  14. Have you eaten any of the following vegetables during the last week? (kale, rutabaga, shallot, arugula, endive) (score 5 given any)
    • Not from that list - 0 points
  15. Have you ever chosen to live without a car for more than 2 years?
    • Yes - 5 points
  16. Do you go to church/Do you have any atheist friends? (score 5 is yes to both, otherwise 0)
    • Yes - 5 points
  17. Have you ever worked in a place where everybody had at least a 4 year degree?
    • No - 0 points
  18. Have you or any of your close friends ever been arrested?
    • Yes - 0 points
  19. Have you ever written something (essay, thesis, ... ) that was longer than 4000 words?
    • Yes - 5 points
  20. Have you ever used powerpoint or similar to give a presentation at work?
    • Yes - 5 points
78 total. Angry I didn't win.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

48/78, inclusive of many "Yes,but..."s and "No, but..."s.